fam w/teen & physically-challenged wife

mash

After a long year fraught with several family hardships (emotional & physical), I'm taking my wife & daughter on a short (4 day) Carnival cruise at the beginning of May. Because of numerous medical bills we're on a shoestring budget (but my fam really needs something fun in their lives right now). Ever dollar is precious but we know we'll have to spend at least something to have some fun.

My daughter is 14 & my wife is recovering from recent back surgery. She can walk but probably can't walk more than 1/3 mile at best.

Our Carnival ship stops in Key West one day & Cozumel another. The Key West times are 7:30 am to 2:00 pm. We would probably like to shop a little & see some sights-- including the southermost point. I have a number of questions that I hope those familar with Key West can answer.

1. Should we do the Conc Train, the Trolley or the Island bus? & are these available right after disembarking?

2. What other things should we do/see (cheap & these need to be fairly accessible from our trolley/train/bus)-- Pirate Soul? Shipwreck? Lighthouse? Anything else? & are they all on stops from train/trolley/bus?

Thanks so much!

First, here's hoping you really enjoy your much deserved cruise. Let me say, even if you never get off the ship, you will probably find many interesting and relaxing things to do.

You don't say which Carnival ship you will be on. That is important because some dock at the Outer Mole Pier in which case you will be obliged to ride (for free) the Conch Train or the Trolley to and from the ship. Some Carnival ships dock closer to Old Town and it is a short walk to many attractions.

For an additional fee, both the Conch Train and the Trolley will take you around town for a tour, but the Trolley does have a few stops where you can get off and get back on later. The bus, if you are referring to the Bone Island Shuttle, is currently on a very limited schedule or none at all, possibly.

The Light House is cheaper than the Pirate Soul Museum and the Shipwreck Historeum. If you choose the Pirate Soul museum, it is falt. If you choose the Shipwreck Historeum, it has stairs that must be climbed. If you wish to climb the light house, know that it is something like 180 steps to the top. I do not think your wife should try to climb it, but if you and your teen do, the view is amazing from the top.

Be careful about signing up for organized tours that involve walking. I have personally witnessed passengers who are impaired and use walkers or canes or have difficulty needing to drop out, because the pace is a little too fast or the walking is too far or too steep for such people.

It is better to do your own thing so you can govern the pace and take a little rest when you need to.

You can always call 305-296-6666 for a pink taxi that will tour you in a/c comfort. They will charge you per hour and not per person. They will allow you in and out where you's like and not make you stay to the tour schedule like when on the Trolley or train. I can near assure you your teenager will be bored on the train tour. The Historic seaport for shopping is where the train drops you if you dock at the Outer Mole, it's right next to Pier b if you dock there. Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips. I'm arriving on Carnival's Fascination. Any idea if this docs at the Outer Mole Pier?

Does the Trolley stop close to the Lightouse, Southermost Point, Pirate Soul, & Shipwreck Museums?

Thanks so much again for the input.

Archived