Venice: Danielli or Westin Excelsior Lido?

I have the good fortune of getting terrific rates in either of these properties through a connection. The question is if I am only staying one night, which hotel would those of you who experienced both properties stay?

It will end up being a total of two nights in Venice; the first night aboard the Golden Princess when it arrives in May.

In looking at tripadvisor.com, it appears that many people are unhappy with the service and non-historic wing of the hotel. The pics of the Excelsior look amazing, but I am worried of being far from Venice for only a one night stay...

Any definitive thoughts to push me in one direction or another? At this point, I think I am pretty evenly divided between the two hotels.

The Danielli is in a terrific location...and for my money in Venice, location is everything. The down-side to staying on the Lido is that you normally would take the Vaporetto over from Venice,,, but than you still have quite a walk to the hotel. Of course you could always pay a water taxi to take you from Venice right to your hotel, but those water taxis are very very expensive. The Danielli is a bit worn (I think its about 700 years old) but is one of the Grand Old hotels of Europe.

Hank

For just one night I would not pass up staying at the Danelli no matter what TA says and that has to be taken with a grain of salt theses days.You can't beat the location and why waste time going back and forth to the Lido.I am sure you will be just fine.

Our kids had one of the "bad" rooms at the Danielli...my inlaws and my husband and I had beautiful rooms. The old one the kids were in was really large, but musty. It was still amazing in that its window was at water level and they would see the whole gondolas go by all day! You're only going to sleep in the room (and with any luck, you'll get on of the great rooms) and the rest of the hotel is simply awsome. Make sure to have a drink in the main salon and brunch in the outdoor restaurant facing the Grand Canal.

The hotel's service was fine, not great. We had a medical emergency and I had a heck of a time getting help for my MIL. Service is always subjective. You couldn't have a more convenient hotel and with little time, I think that should be a key factor. If I had gotten a great rate, that would be my choice!

What a great location...have a drink in the lobby and eat at the top floor rooftop restaurant. It is magical to sit and watch the ligths come out.

The other hotel is gorgeous too but would be better for a longer stay.

Watch out for pick pockets. I almost got robbed on the bridge by the Daneili. I went in there to calm down..the staff could not have been nicer even though on that trip I wasn't a guest. Highly recommend. We had a old room with the lagoon view..Didn't want to leave the room.

Well it turns out that the Danielli sold out of the special rate, and the lowest available rate is $900 while my connection at the Excelsior will be $110!

So, the choice has been made for me inspite of the convenience of the Danielli's location.

Now a remaining question that I think I will post on a seperate thread...Water Taxi to the Westin Excelsior Lido...

Archived