FAT CAT catamaran adventure tour-Review!

Snoozeman

Fat Cat

Catamaran Adventure Excursion

Puerto Adventuras - Playa del Carmen - Calica

Mexico

While sailing on the 3/30 Elation cruise, I booked an independent tour, the Fat Cat catamaran adventure excursion, for Calica. There were three C-C members and ten others from the Elation. A Fat Cat representative met our group and we were off for about a fifteen minute drive to Puerto Adventuras. The cat is docked in a private resort area which is also the location for dolphin interactive tours. We were able to see the dolphins, manatees, and sea lions while waiting for the others sailing on the Fat Cat. This is definitely a barefoot cruise, you leave your shoes in a box before boarding. We sailed about 10:00 a.m. with 49 passengers and crew of four. The crew was very accommodating and friendly. You can check them out on their website. They were very generous with the rum punch and beer as we made our way north. We sailed to the reef just south of Calica for 45 minutes of snorkeling. Water was a bit choppy but used the all the allotted time in the water. This was a small reef, but very colorful and alive. Lot’s of fans, more than cozumel IMHO. Many colorful fish as well. Setting sail back south, more beer and rum punch along with chips, guacamole, and pico de gallo. All of which was very good. Those that wish could experience the drag net behind the boat. Hang on and don’t lose your shorts. We stopped within some protected jetty's for swimming. You could dive from the boat. Very nice and calm waters. We got back to the pier and were taken back to the ship arriving about 3:30. The fare includes your transportation and your drinks and snacks. I rate this excursion five ***** stars for both value and content. I would happily do this excursion again.

The web site:

http://www.fatcatsail.com/

pic_h1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great review. We should have had the same experience when we sailed Fat Cat in early March. My family of three and another CC family of four were not met on the dock. We located the FC representative by pure chance as he wandered about with the taxi drivers. They put the seven of us in a six passenger taxi vans for a wild ride to Puerto Adventuras. There was nobody to meet the taxi when we arrived and we eventually located the catamaran just as it was about to cast off.

We had 48 passengers, crew of four and a 70+ pound boxer (boat's mascot). The boat is standing room only with 45+ passengers and their gear. This is the first daysail tour I have ever been on where the passengers were allowed to smoke where ever they wanted and we had quite a few smokers on boat that day. Ash was everywhere, to include a heavy coating on the food (ash trays were on the same tables as the food). The dog was over friendly and insisted on taking up at least three or four seats whenever it was time for a snooze. By the end of the day, the seats and deck were coated with a redish grey mixture of dog hair and cigarette ash.

They were generous with the rum punch, beer and mixed drinks. So generous that they ran out shortly after we finished snorkeling. They did not carry any diet soda aboard.

This had the potential to be a great excursion. The Mexican crew was fantastic, the boat is about six months old & in great shape, the setting was beautiful and the crystal clear waters made for great snorkeling. Just too many people!

I book independent tours to get away from the crowded conditions you often find on ship excursions. This was the worst I have ever experienced.

I agree with you MSN, we went on a day when they did not have a full load of people, I think there were maybe 25 people on our tour. Perry and I were actually talking about the fact that if there were more people on board if wouldn't be fun.

The dog hurt itself, slipped on the boat and injured it's leg, so it wasn't there the day of our tour.

You should send your experience to the owner of Fat Cat, and let him know.

http://www.fatcatsail.com

Archived