Tokyo

I'llBeCruisin'

Does anyone know how far the ship docks from the city of Tokyo? We are booked on the Tokyo to Anchorage cruise at the end of May.

We are also looking for a limo company to transfer us to the port. Silversea's transfer is $70pp. I don't know if that is resonable or not for Japan, but we would rather go on our own. Any thoughts?

I will be on the Shadow from Hong kong to Tokyo arriving there on May 20. I believe the port is supposed to be about 5 kilometers or 3 miles from the city center but I'm not sure. I'll probably just take a taxi to the hotel since we are spending a few days in tokyo post cruise. Are you talking about a transfer from the airport to the ship or from a hotel? I am using a company called Outech Limited to transfer me from the hotel to airport on May 24. It is a bit more expensive but not too bad and certainly alot more comfortable.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Tokyo to Hong Kong cruise on RSSC last Oct. It is quite a ways from the airport to the pier and we did our own air so RSSC's transfer was $300 pp Since there were 4 of us we hired a minivan and driver for $1040 to make this trip. I would jump all over $70pp!!

I just found out that the Silver Shadow is docking at the Harumi passenger terminal. I still don't know how far this is from the city, but according to a map I found it looks fairly close. Has anyone been there? It would be nice if we could take a taxi from the hotel and pass on Silversea transportation.

We fly to Singapore and do back-to-back cruises: Singapore to Hong Kong to Tokyo. Any advice on how best to get from the cruise ship terminal (and which one) in Tokyo to Disneyland? We are staying at the MiraCosta at DisneySea.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

We are staying at the four seasons. I contacted the hotel and they said a hired car to the port is 24,000 yen which is about $200. So I guess we will do this.

Now I'm worried about getting to the hotel from the airport. To hire a car through the hotel is about $385. Has anyone taken the aiport limosine bus? Another possibility is a taxi, but do the drivers speak English?

We went to Tokyo and Hong Kong on a "land trip" (by air) in January, just three months ago. The airport bus from Narita to downtown (Sinzuku or Ginza) cost roughly $30 per person each way. You can quite easily buy the ticket at Tokyo airport (or pre-purchase them from your TA in U.S.) The bus ride will be roughly an hour (it is far!)

We stayed several days at the Keio Plaza in Sinzuku and another several days at the Renaissance Tobu Ginza. These hotels are perhaps four stars (the Keio is very large and comprehensive, while the Tobu is relatively small but right at the heart of Ginza), quite good enough for us ordinary cats. For typical Silversea cruisers, perhaps those five-star hotels may be more suitable.

By the way, Japanese taxis charge 600 yens ($5) to start with, and perhaps $1 per minute in "normal traffic" thereafter. They are expensive, but not outrageous for short trips. The more important thing is to have someone who knows Japanese to write out where you want to go for you. Most taxi drivers don't speak English, period. The level of English in Japan is even lower than in Hong Kong, where the locals often speak some broken English. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

We are staying at the four seasons. I contacted the hotel and they said a hired car to the port is 24' date='000 yen which is about $200. So I guess we will do this.

Now I'm worried about getting to the hotel from the airport. To hire a car through the hotel is about $385. Has anyone taken the aiport limosine bus? Another possibility is a taxi, but do the drivers speak English?[/quote']

I assume you are flying into Narita Airport. It's quite a distance to downtown. Take the airport bus. It's clean of course and efficient. There are several buses going to different downtowns - Tokyo is huge with multiple downtowns. You call the hotel again and ask which line to take and where to catch it. As I recall, when you come out of the customs, there's a booth for airport buses. You buy the ticket there and the attendant will tell you the schedule and where to wait for it. You can pay by credit card I believe, but double check with the hotel. Unlike other Asian countries, they don't take dollars at all.

There are buses going to the Tokyo Disneyland also. Inquire at the hotel.

Getting around in Tokyo is easier and faster, and of course much cheaper, with public transportation. It is extensive and fast.

Don't miss Tsukiji Fish Market. It's quite a sight.

I'LLBECRUISIN,

As I mentioned in an above post I am using a company called Outech Ltd to take me from my hotel (The Mandarin Oriental which I think is near the Four Seasons Maranouchi). I am paying the equivalent of about $180 for a private car which I think is pretty reasonable for Tokyo and considerably cheaper than using the hotel's car service. Their email is info@outech.co.jp. They'll answer your questions and if you decide to use them you'll have to fax them credit card info tho they don't bill you until you use the service.

Thanks wripro for the car service information! The rates certainly are reasonable. We might use them if we do not take the airport bus.

Thanks also simonv and meow for the bus info! I have a few questions about the bus though. We will have alot of luggage. Is this problem? Also, is it difficult in the airport to book and find the bus? I'm worried since we do not speak Japanese.

Luggage shouldn't be a problem. They use full size tour buses with luggage compartment below. Girls at the booth at the airport speak decent English and are helpful. They have buses going every which direction, so you need to know the name of the area the hotel is located. There are more than one Four Seasons Hotel there. Do call the hotel again and get detailed instructions as to which bus to take.

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/e/index_forforeign.html

Narita Airport to downtown is far. Taking taxi will cost you a fortune.

When we were there, the bus was half empty, so luggage was not a problem. If the bus is full, they may ask you to take the next one. The bus counter is close to the airport door, you have to check with them first either to buy your ticket or to show them your pre-purchased ticket. In our case, the same bus went to both Sinzuku and Ginza, just making several stops on the way.

At the airport, the local staff can speak rudimentary English. Remember, don't use sentences, that will only confuse them. Use single words, "Airport bus, hotel", and show them your hotel booking (print it off your computer, hopefully including a map showing that hotel with address in Japanese). In our full week in Tokyo, we had not met one local person who could speak fluent English (that might be just our "luck"). If you can find some hotel attendant who can get by with a conversation (and not just single words), consider that lucky, and even so, keep what you want to say direct and simple.

One very interesting observation in Tokyo: both hotels we stayed in employed young women to be porters (portresses). Many of them were tiny in size, and they had to help hotel guests carry huge pieces of luggage (I didn't know why the men didn't do it). I sort of felt sorry for them, as I could not tell which was heavier, the suitcase or the portress!

Archived