Celebrity Zenith vs. RCCL Empress

denred04

Hi-- both offer same itinerary, but Empress is more $$ but Zenith goes out of Bayonne, which is much farther than Philly for us. I have 4 kids going, 20, 19 13 and 10. Just wondering if one line is better for kids? i know Zenith's rooms are MUCH bigger (50sq. feet larger). thanks for any opinions

We give the edge to Zenith but also enjoyed sailing on the Empress. Our biggest issue with Empress was the room sizes which are VERY small. Probably more things for kids to do on Empress. If we had kids we'd sail on a larger ship with more activities.

Thanks! I think we are sticking to the Empress, from what I hear, RCCL is more family oriented. Hoping we won't be in the room too much. Last cruise, we were hardly there at all.

Having been on four cruises with our kids (now ages 10 & 7) they loved X. The kids program in my opinion is great. Don't underestimate it.

If I had the choice of the two lines and RCI is more expensive (and balconies were not a big deal to us), I would book X, with kids, before RCI.

Just got off Zenith yesterday, and enjoyed Empress in September. I was more impressed with Empress than I expected, but much less impressed with Zenith. We've done 17 cruises, one each on Carnival and HAL, and the rest on RCCL. I expected Zenith to be more like HAL, and at least as good as RCCL, and was disappointed to find that the ship really looked and felt old. Z is about the age of Empress and Sovereign, but not nearly in as good of shape as either. She had a refit fairly recently, but this appears to be restricted to the lounges. The dining room, pool area, and promenade decks, as well as the stairwells and hallways let you know you are not on a new ship. On the other hand Empress looks great for her age. She has the rock wall and seems to have much more in the way of activities (in the evening on Zenith not much happens other than lounge music). We had a great time on Z, but if I had to recommend Empress or Zenith, I would not hesitate to firmly suggest Empress. Only my opinion of course, and I strongly suspect Zenith is not reflective of Celebrity as a whole, which I've only heard good things about :-)

Steve in NC

waiting for Grandeur April 29!

We agree Empress is in better shape. Our preference for Zenith was strictly due to room size and overall service. The Florida deck on Zenith was having major plumbing problems the week we sailed. Including our cabin. This was blamed on rough seas.

Than you SO much for your opinions...we have already booked Empress, but I liked the size of the rooms on Zenith and I was making myself crazy! From the responses I have gotten so far, I am pretty certain we are sticking with the Empress! We shouldn't be in the room too much, so I will stop obsessing over how small they are!

Denise

I didn't notice Fang's reply before I wrote that last one. Now I am totally confused again!! HHHHEEEELLLLLPPPPP I wish I could go see each one, and take a tour. this is sooooo difficult! and of course each customer service person I speak to says that "their" ship is great, and has lots of activities for the kids. but if what tropic bird said is true, about the entertainment at night, I think I would prefer RCCL. I know I will get 1/2 of the people telling me Z is better and 1/2 saying Empress is better. I will go do more research! thanks again.:confused:

Wow.. not sure what to do.. we have sailed on 7 cruises with RCCL. We loved all our cruises with them. We want to go to Bermuda this Sept and pretty much decided on the Zentith. We have always wanted to try Celebrity. We hear food is better and service. Now I hear all this and it makes me re-think my choice! Zenith better room size and food.... but Empress in better shape? I also note the times for the Empress are not as good as the Zenith for stopping at each port... You don't get to Hamilton or St. George until 2:00.. Zenith seems better for more time in Bermuda.

I am not sure what to do now! I think the price is about the same! Decisions .. decisions!

I have not traveled on the Empress but have sailed Zenith several times. I would consider the fact that both ships are in Bermuda most of the cruise and you will not really take that much advantage of the children's programs as on other cruises. The embarkation location is very important as in the price. Zenith will give you a great experience and you might just be happier with the larger room.

I loved the Zenith. I am sur you will be happy with either.

Good luck.

I am an avid Celebrity fan (as you might have guessed since I host the Celebrity board). But I must tell you we were very disappointed in our recent Zenith cruise. Zenith was in bad need of general maintenance and while there many features we enjoyed in the ship, we wouldn't sail her again unless she got the much needed attention she deserves.

I'd go with Empress.

Whatever you decide, ENJOY!

Karen-- I am sorry that I brought this up for you to go crazy over now too! On RCCL's board there was a guy, Retirednotexpired, who absolutley loved the Empress. He says there is plenty to do on board. I also like that there is the climbing wall. the kids and I would really enjoy that (hubby won't go near it) He also likes that philly is about 1/2 hour from us, rather than twoish to Bayonne. He wants to stick with Empress, I JUST DON'T KNOW!!! I agree, more time in Bermuda with Zenith-it leaves the last day at three, rather than 9 or 10. I wish I never looked up Celebrity:( hearing from Anne really makes you wonder!

Sorry denred....didn't mean to make matters worse. We really prefer smaller ships and really (I mean really) want to see Celebrity keep Zenith in their fleet. But they are going to have to maintain her, too. Empress is the other ship we've been wanting to try....we REALLY want to support the smaller ships! So I'm glad that you'll be doing one or the other.

Whatever you decide, you will have a great time!

Archived