Reasonable but nice hotel in NY

doverite

:) A group of 16 will be travelling from Ontario to NY for the Dec 27 sailing of Noordam. We wish to stay fairly close to the port for Dec. 25, 26th. Any ideas - not too expensive. Also, do some hotels allow you to leave your vehicle at the hotel while you are cruising?

Thanks

I think those who have stayed in NYC recently for the Noordam inaugural cruise can guide you on hotels and I'm sure some will answer. However, when you say 'not too expensive' what price range are you looking at? This is NYC and all cities' hotels are usually pretty expensive unless they are flea bags.

As for parking, there is parking at the pier and I doubt many, if any, NYC hotels include free parking for the length of a cruise. The parking deck at the pier is much more convenient anyway and very safe which is an important consideration.

The only hotel that I know of in Manhattan that includes free parking is the Travel Inn on 42nd St. Some of the hotels near LaGuardia also do so, but you probably want to be in Manhattan.

As for reasonable, it depends on waht you want. Finding a good, inexpensive hotel for Christmas may be more difficult than finding a needle in a haystack. Try AAA, and seach engines such as Expedia, Travelocity, etc. Christmas is extra crowded and expensive in NYC, and now is not too early to book.

With a group that large, have you considered hotels that have kitchenettes?

There are many hotels that offer parking package, but with the time period you are going....you will probably be looking at a rate of $350 or more, but would have parking for the duration of your trip. I also know that the hotels near JFK offer stay packages with upto 2 weeks of parking and they are around $130.00 per room, including all taxes.

We just stayed at the Belvedere on 48th and 8th. Walking distance to theater area and surrounded by all kinds of restaraunts. Subway one block. Great service from desk and bell captain. Rooms were comfortable and had refrig. and microwave. We got a NYTimes special online for $199 which included a hot breakfast. Any of the hotels in this area looked pretty good but the convention rate was approaching $200 (Marriott Marquis) so I felt we got a good deal.

We have also stayed at the Comfort on 47th or so about a block off Broadway. Small but we were very comfortable. No lobby to speak of but I remember the marble bathroom with a heated floor. When we stayed there it was less than $150. Again very convenient for walking around.

You can get theater tickets by walking up to the box office. Try to see Avenue Q (not for kids). Great show.

The Belvedere is a favorite of ours. We stay there for a weekend in January each year, just to go the theater and museums, even though we live in the suburbs, 10 miles away. You do have to catch them just right to get good rates. We had a package, including breakfast buffet for two, at $159 per night, this past January. Right now they're quoting $184 American plan for 12/25, $314 for 12/26. For the two nights we want, 1/5 to 7/07, they want $414 a night. No way! Hopefully the price will drop.

As for theater tickets, New Yorkers rarely pay full price. We sign up for web sites, such as TheaterMania, that are free, and that list discount tickets. Or we go to the TKTS booth at 47th St. and Broadway (or near the South St. Seaport) for same day tickets reduced by 50% or 25%. Or we cross the street from TKTS to the Visitor's Bureau, and pick up "two-fers" that allow us to go to the Theater and buy reduced price tickets for that day or future performances (but seldom for Saturday nights). Full price? Ugh!

I can recommend where not to stay, lol!!! The Grand Hyatt across from Grand Central Station (I think it was Grand Hyatt at Times Square, but can't remember at this moment).... it was not the greatest for us and DH was "propositioned" by a "local lady" while having an evening cigarette outside.... ;) Not something we are accustomed to here in Colorado, lol!

We heard great things about the Marriott Marquis - and in fact booked a night there for our post cruise, but ended up having to come home early.

You may also want to check out www.tripadvisor.com for ratings and specific information. :)

I can recommend where not to stay, lol!!! The Grand Hyatt across from Grand Central Station (I think it was Grand Hyatt at Times Square, but can't remember at this moment).... it was not the greatest for us and DH was "propositioned" by a "local lady" while having an evening cigarette outside.... ;) Not something we are accustomed to here in Colorado, lol!

We heard great things about the Marriott Marquis - and in fact booked a night there for our post cruise, but ended up having to come home early.

You may also want to check out www.tripadvisor.com for ratings and specific information. :)

*LOL* yea right around Grand Central is a big stopping point for the "working girls" They figure they will get the tourists right out of the gate before they spend their money on broadway shows and restaurants *LOL*

We've just looked at the Hotel Belvedere web site for our dates of 1/5 to 1/7/06, The rates are still an insane $414 per night. For your dates, 12/25 to 12/27, the "NY1" package is available at $199 per night, including buffet package. (Total for 2 nights for 2 people, with tax, $462.23.) The way the loonie is going, it may not be much more than $500 CDN when you go, maybe less. Consider reserving it now: you can always change your mind later if you find a better deal. http://www.belvederehotelnyc.com/specials-new-york-west-hotels.asp

The Travel Inn, which is not as nice, costs about the same without breakfast, but that includes parking. Whether that's for just the two nights (likely) or for your whole trip (likely) is something you'd have to check with the hotel.

One way or another, I'd reserve something now, then look for bargains, which may or may not happen, as you get closer to the trip.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Times Sq North Mar 4 and Mar 15 before and after our Noordam cruise this spring. Its at about 7th and 52nd close to the theatre district, and Times Sq. We were quite happy with it. It was clean, and quiet. They stored our luggage free of charge until we could check in after the cruise. They also allowed us to check out late as we had a late flight out. The pricing ran from $189 for Mar 4 to $300.00 Mar 15 (Spring Break) for 2 queen beds and included a hot breakfast. No parking to speak of but you can park at the Pier.

I frequently stay at the Super 8, convenient location and free breakfast. Isn't the Hampton on 8th Ave- the old Hojo or Days Inn???

But I suggest you may want to consider leaving the car in Poughkeepsi, for $20 for a week and take Metro North into Grand Central, about $25pp round trip. I do this all the time and never take my car any farther. :)

Archived