wal mart/water buying

jennylane

i saw a post somewhere saying that there was a wal mart close to the dock in puerto vallarta. can anyone confirm this? is there similar shopping in any of the other pots? (acapulco, ixtapa, cabo) if i do purchase water, will there be any problem bring it on the ship (NCL)? i'm planning to bring bottled water but will bring less if i know i will be able to stop along the way and replenish the supply.

Your ship will practically dock in the parking lot of Walmart & Sam's Club in PV. Not sure what your rules are for your cruise line as far as bringing it back on, but it shouldn't be a problem because it isn't alcohol.

Here is a photo that I took from the Legend of the Seas when we were there in June 2004.

893296423_PVWalmart.jpg.3bde5a7176e58a99b830314876f72118.jpg

In Mexico, Wal-Mart's not always the least expensive place to buy water. For example - in Acapulco - the Wal-Mart is half-way around the bay from the cruise ship terminal. It's easy enough to get there, either by taxi (15 minutes) or by city bus (20-25 minutes). Taxi cost will be about US$4 each way, bus will be about US$0.40 each way.

However, there are several large supermarkets located not to far from the cruise ship terminal - Commercial Mexicana, Gigante, Aurrera - all loated on the "Costera Miguel Aleman", the coastal street/road following the Bay. They'll all carry the same water products and charge almost the same price.

I have been to the Walmart in PV. It is a 10 minute +/- walk form the ship. But carrying heavy water back is no fun. It's still cheaper to buy water at Walmart and take a $4.00 taxi back than buying water on the ship. I saw a lot of crew members in Walmart buying water.

Yes, if Wal-Mart is the closest store to the terminal. If Wal-Mart isn't the closest store, then it seems a bit odd to me that someone would travel out of their way just to buy water from the store. Have you heard of something special that Wal-Mart has added to the water it sells, that makes it worth a special trek?

We were in PV three weeks ago and purchased Diet Coke at the Wal-Mart ($1.55 for 2-liters). There are numerous taxi's waiting at the front door to take you to the ship dock, if the water is too heavy for you. You might want to get a couple larger bottles rather than a full 48-pack so that you can put them in the plastic sacks and balance them out on your walk to the port. Sam's Club is a little closer, but not by much. Wal-Mart has a larger variety of products.

Ray and Barbarsa

Archived