Century March 26-April 2

Gypsea

Well, here is another Century cruiser to say this is a beautiful ship that still has lots of sparkle and some of the best staff at sea. The food was very good too and I thought the buffets offered some fabulous choices. I usually like eating lunch in the dining room but there was so many good things at the Island Cafe that I rarely ventured downstairs except for dinner each night. I wouldn't miss that. Mehmet and Gusti were the best and everyone in that area of the dining room seemed just as happy as I was. There were 65 travel agents on-board for a seminar hosted by Celebrity and we were all in this rear portion of the upper dining room.

I had a very forward cabin so I didn't experience the vibration trouble (except when pulling into port early morning) but heard it was distracting for some. A friend that was very aft said she didn't mind it and was lulled to sleep. I'm sure many veterans would not be as kind. Fear not, it will be fixed very soon.

My cabin, 8000, was in fine shape and I do not have any complaints regarding it. I was pleased and did not notice issues that others have mentioned. Jude and Marco spoiled me and attended to my every wish but other than ice I don't think I required much of them. Still, they were attentive and had a hard time avoiding me since I would leave and five minutes later dash in for some forgotten item. We got along famously and I left them a gift of New Hampshire maple syrup to share. That horrible corn syrup and water they serve on ships should not be misconstrued as maple syrup. I thought people from Honduras and India would enjoy it and may have never had it. Please don't think this was their only tip! I am very generous to these hard workers being in a service industry for decades before becoming an agent.

Another young woman I absolutely loved was a housekeeping staff memeber who attended the bathrooms. Gergana Stoyanova from Bulgaria impressed me whenever we met. She was very sweet and happy to show me to my destination if I was uncertain. I loved running into her and was lucky enough to see her several times. It was her first contract with Celebrity and she had been on the ship for seven months. I hope you get to meet her. She is very demure, polite and has a lovely smile. I told her I made a comment about her on my card and she was absolutely thrilled to be recognized. I believe these newer members are paid the least so I like to tip them too and they are very grateful.

The staff everywhere on the ship seemed to be working hard and I did not think that upkeep on their part was lacking. Yes, common area furniture, cabin sofas and gym equipment are worn but everything polishable gleams. My bedspread was absent on arrival so I assume the replacement is ordered but that was not a problem. A velux blanket was folded at the bottom three feet of the bed and another blanket was encased in two white sheets below that. Everything was spotless. The egg crate was already on when I arrived as Jude pointed out when I asked him for one.

In our seminar the improvements were discussed in detail and when she is back in service Century will be beyond expectation. A cut above Millenium, Summit and her sisters with all the newest innovations available. I look forward to seeing her again in the future but was glad of the opportunity to see the original so I can appreciate the changes. The atrium will be all new, the cabin,spa and buffet layouts redesigned, bedding, window treatments, furniture, gym equiment replaced. Many more changes are planned too numerous to mention here. It sounds as if this ship will be unrecognizable. I am just not sure it is all necessary because she is still a beautiful ship in many ways. Enjoy her the way she is while you still can. If you would like more details I have posted in the Review section also.

I will add more or answer your questions if desired.

Thank you for your post, Gypsea. We'll be on the last CENTURY voyage she makes in her 'original' condition, the eastbound TA taking her to drydock. In October, we are returning to Barcelona to take CENTURY back to Miami, to experience her 'new look'.

CENTURY is already my favorite ship, and your report just verifies what we know and love about it already. :)

Cheers~

Nicki

Gypsea - I'm glad you enjoyed Century, she's always been my favorite ship. I'm booked on her in November & am anxious to see what she looks like after the rehab.

I have a question. Did they say anything about the T Pool during the seminars? I've looked at the deck plans for the ship after the rehab & don't see it listed in the Aquaspa anymore. I sure hope this is just an oversight. I love the T Pool on Century!

Terri

Hi Gypsea !

I am glad you had a great time on Century. We were on her a few weeks ago, and had a fantastic time. We cant wait to see her again, when she is back in Florida later this year.

Hi Gypsea!

Sounds like you had a fantastic time! I'm sailing her in September, after her makeover, I'm already very excited!

I have some food related questions...

What is served ad the buffet and where is this located on deck? Will this remain after the refit?

What is the menu like in the main dining room? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Kelly :)

Hi Gypsea!

Sounds like you had a fantastic time! I'm sailing her in September, after her makeover, I'm already very excited!

I have some food related questions...

What is served ad the buffet and where is this located on deck? Will this remain after the refit?

What is the menu like in the main dining room? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Kelly :)

Hi Kelly,

Not to hijack Rita's thread, but we just got off the Century with Gypsea and I can give you a little info. The new Celebrity menus are about 85% the same. They have a new attractive look and binder. But look at the Menus from this site and you will have the basics:

http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/century.htm

The Century is a little different compared to the other "C" class ships. The pasta and pizza station is next to the main pool (it's near the aft pool on the Galaxy and Mercury). On the opposite side is the hamburger/hot dog station. (best fries ever!)

There are several stations in the buffet, with the aft having the waffle, omlette, and light stations. The buffet also hosts sushi and casual dinning starting around 6:00pm.

Dining room food was excellent!! Service was perfect, as always.

Enjoy!

Kel (Kelly:) )

Gypsea - I'm glad you enjoyed Century, she's always been my favorite ship. I'm booked on her in November & am anxious to see what she looks like after the rehab.

I have a question. Did they say anything about the T Pool during the seminars? I've looked at the deck plans for the ship after the rehab & don't see it listed in the Aquaspa anymore. I sure hope this is just an oversight. I love the T Pool on Century!

Terri

Terri,

I was reading another post from you about wearing hose with formal wear. I read about your achille's tendon surgery scar. Here I sit recovering from my surgery, rubbing vitamin E cream into my 12 inch scar. I am 7 weeks out of surgery, going to therapy. I'm getting a little nervous about being 100% by our June 11th cruise. How are you doing and is there a light at the end of the tunnel??? I'd love to hear from you. Janet

First day back to work is the busiest so I haven't been back on till now.

Nicki you are too spoiled. Have a great time and just wait for the second trip. Ooh la la!!

Teedee...some bad news for you. The T pool is a thing of the past on Century which is a shame. I was able to use this for a day and enjoyed it very much. Not as big as the M class pools but enjpyable anyway.

Host Andy has the right idea. I want to see the chnages too but probably have to wait for awhile.

Kelly-Kelmac has the details but when the refit is done the buffets will be redesigned and still on deck 11. As for the outside pasta/salad and grill, I am not sure they informed us of a changes in placement for those. Maybe ocngypz will help us out with that info. If not I am waiting for the pamphlet outlining the complete list of changes and can let you know.

Janet

Try pure vitamin e oil..just get the capulses and squeeze. E oil is almost sticky but it will fade your scar somewhat faster than creme because of the purity. Yoga will get you stretched, toned and calm you all at the same time. Try it!! It works well for my plantar faciitis.

Ohhhhh Nooooooo!!!!!!

I absolutely hate to hear about the T Pool. I LOVED that thing. I think this is a bad move for Celebrity. Everyone I know who sailed on Century loved the t pool. I don't know why they made this decision.

Janet - I'll be glad to talk to you, oddly enough I tore the tendon while on Century! Email me at davis9689atbellsouthdotnet.

Terri

My family and I also cruised with Gypsea and Kelmac on the Century 3/26-4/2 (our first cruise). This ship is beautiful and everything Gypsea explained was the same for us. The service and the food was amazing like a fairy tale to us. Our stateroom attendant always went out of his way to do something fun for our girls, like taking their stuffed animal dog they brought and decorating him with sunglasses surrounded by chocolates. Every day they looked forward to what Sergio would do. He was so helpful and always around to wish us a good day at port or to enjoy our dinner. I feel spoiled by sailing her on our first cruise, and look forward to sailing her again. I thought she was beautiful now, and can't imagine how much better she can be. Happy cruising! Cathy

Archived