Travel Guard, Travelex or CSA?????Pre-Existing??

martyap

I posted this before but need clarification. I certainly agree that insurance is necessary. My understanding is that the pre-existing window is from the time of insurance purchase NOT cruise departure. For example, 90 days means the three month period that preceeds the date you purchased the policy.

Since we did not not purchase when we booked we now have a few options. CSA has no pre-existing time window if we purchase prior to final cruise payment.............. But Travel Guard and Travelex seem to have a better track record on these boards. Also, higher medical and medical evacuation limits on the latter two. I imagine since we will be in Turkey for 5 days pre cruise higher medical and medical evacuation limits might be a serious consideration.

Should the pre-existing time limit, of let's say 90 days, effect our decision. If we have not had any change in diagnosis during the 90 days preceeding the actual insurance purchase, is it safe to go with Travel Guard or Travelex???

Am I missing anything in the fine print??? If this pre-existing clause could create a potential problem I'll just go with CSA. They offer $50,000 medical

and $250,000 medical evacuation BUT the limits are per policy NOT per person.

If I have been on blood pressure medication for three years but during the last 90 days there has been no new diagnosis.....is that considered "pre-existing". Or......if during the last 90 days I was diagnosed with XXX and that XXX causes me to cancel.....isn't that the pre-existing problem?

Very confusing and I'm sure each company is different.

Please offer your expert advice.

Marty

I think the question should be answered by the insurance company, rather than people (myself included) who have just a little bit of info that may or may not be correct.

My take on travel insurance is that you have to buy it within X amount of days (per the ins. company) of the initial deposit of the trip. Since it is not refundable and we have no pre-existing conditions, we wait until after final payment has been made. If you do have a pre-existing condition, it's a whole different story.

Go to www.insuremytrip.com you can compare, side by side the different policies.

Happy ks has given you good advice.

In order to have "pre existing" you have to buy the insurance somewhere around 7 to 14 days after you put your deposit down on your cruise. Each company has a different time frame but I found it is usually within the 7 - 14 days time frame.

Insuremytrip.com has all the info. It might be time consuming weeding through everything but you can get all the info you need about each company and policy on that site.

There are a couple of policies that will cover pre-existing conditions even if you purchase it at the time of final payment, but those policies, like the CSA Silver Plan, are more expensive than if you had purchased the coverage within the 10 to 14 day of booking time span.

Marty, you need to call each of the companies you're thinking about and ask them these questions. While the people here have had experiences with travel insurance, you sound much too concerned with making the correct decision for you and your travel partner, that makes me feel you really need to call the companies direct rather than rely on anyone's experiences on these boards.

I was told by my TA when I booked a cruise that if there was any pre-existing conditions such as a heart problem or diabetes that is considered pre-existing and if I wanted to be covered by the insurance that that insurance would have to be paid for at the time of booking. Otherwise, I could still buy the insurance and pay for it when final payment is due, but these conditions would not be covered. Belle

Archived