Xunantunich with Carnival Cruise Lines

Binney

the bus was kind of quick to really see anything, and you are listening to the guides. BUt when we got off at the little hand cranked ferry, there were a few large lizards. Most of these saw us and headed into the river, but one very large guy stuck around and we got to within a few feet of him before the local ferry person told us not to go any closer.

Here is the lizard:

8765532-R1-002-00A.jpg

Binney,

I was wondering about the security issues. I know this site is on the Guatemala border and that there have been bandits robbing tourists bus'. These reported robberies happened in Pine Mountain Area, but that doesn't look like it's too far from the site. What do you think?

I was surprised to see all of the posts regarding security. Belize seemed very friendly to me... but they only show us that which they want us to see.:cool: That being said, the port area was quite secure, albeit sleazy looking...but it is a poor country.

As with every developing country, you must be careful. My guess is that Carnival has some way to ensure that its guests are not robbed...maybe a little "protection" money somewhere?? I don't know.:confused:

Thanks for the pic too! How high up is that ruin? How many minutes did it take you to climb up it! You look great if that pic was taken afterwards! I agree with you about your philosophy on history... I only wish I had learned this when I was in my teen years and paid more attention. It is amazing to think of the people who once walked within and on these ruins and areas...and how different life was...

This is the way down...this is my Mom who did fine:

scarywalkdown.jpg

Thank you so much for the report and the photos Binney. I would really like to do this tour when we are on the Glory in Dec. although it is not yet listed under our available excursions for Belize. I hope it becomes available. I was wondering if there are any little shops at any point where I could pick up some kind of local craft for a souvenier, as it sounds like there may not be much time to shop once the tour returns to the port? I believe I read on another thread some time ago that hand made carvings, bowls, etc. are good items to purchase in Belize. Did you happen to notice anything like this - or any other items of interest? Thanks so much for all of your answers to our questions!

Laurie

Wow Binney, thanks for all the pictures. I think we're pretty set on going. The last time we were in Belize we took a plane and went to San Pedro which was beautiful...we just watched the world go by til we had to go back... This time we are set on doing the ruins there... I absolutely love them! I think that even with the long drive it will be worthwhile. I keep telling myself...I may never come back again and I'll never see them if I don't take the opportunity now...

Thank you so much for the report and the photos Binney. I would really like to do this tour when we are on the Glory in Dec. although it is not yet listed under our available excursions for Belize. I hope it becomes available. I was wondering if there are any little shops at any point where I could pick up some kind of local craft for a souvenier, as it sounds like there may not be much time to shop once the tour returns to the port? I believe I read on another thread some time ago that hand made carvings, bowls, etc. are good items to purchase in Belize. Did you happen to notice anything like this - or any other items of interest? Thanks so much for all of your answers to our questions!

Laurie

When you get off of the bus to get on the ferry, there are a bunch of what I'd call "flea-market" like stalls where locals sell handicrafts. Also, you will be mobbed by young local boys looking to sell you carved stone pictures and Mayan calendars, etc. They are lovely but I didn't want to lug that kind of thing around. Bring cash (small bills) for these shops.

Also, at the entrance to the park there are a couple of small shops as well as nice restrooms. These shops take credit cards.

If you have lunch at the same place we did: Windy Hill Resort - there is a great little shop there, too. Nice jewelry, here. You can buy the infamous "Cashew wine" here. They also take credit cards.

HAVE FUN!

Archived