Passport For Granddaughter

VICKIVICKI

We will be sailing on the Conquest next January and we are bringing our granddaughter with us. My son took his ex-wife[who blows into town once a year and spends about 2 days with Xandra before she decides that she has seen her long enough, no, she doesn't pay child support either] to get 2 notarized papers. One of them was permission to go on the cruise[dates and destinations and cruise ship were included] and one for permission to get a passport. Well, Xandra's mother has remarried and has a different last name than my granddaughter. Do we need to bring anything else? Thanks

then I believe you just need the passport and the notarized letter....some children don't even have the passport and then you would need the certified copy of the birth certificate with the raised seal (my younger daughter's didn't have a raised seal but was on special texture paper which was fine, because it was the certified copy for our county...but now she has a passport since our trip to Europe). I would call Carnival directly before leaving to be sure.

Additionally, if the child applying for the passport is under the age of 14, BOTH parents HAVE TO BE PRESENT when applying.

I'm not sure if your notorized letter will suffice for this. I'd definitely check as soon as possible and not wait until the last minute.

I just applied for my children's passports two weeks ago. The lady at the post office had just received a memo informing them that passports are taking 8 weeks (rather than 4-5 as customary). I imagine with this new regulation going into effect, the passport office will be flooded with applications this year. 8 weeks will probably become 12 quite soon.

Yes, I'm also amazed at how few people realize this takes effect at the end of this year.

Additionally, if the child applying for the passport is under the age of 14, BOTH parents HAVE TO BE PRESENT when applying.

I'm not sure if your notorized letter will suffice for this. I'd definitely check as soon as possible and not wait until the last minute.

I'm not sure if that is true if one parent has sole custody. Does anyone know the answer to that?

I'm not sure if that is true if one parent has sole custody. Does anyone know the answer to that?

Custody laws don't apply to passports for kids. Unless the court has terminated all parental rights for one parent, both parents must be present when applying for a child's passport. There are no exceptions or exclusions. We have just gone through this and it is not pretty, unfortunately.

We are guardians of a child who has taken his last cruise, thanks to a jerk of a sperm donor who will not cooperate, even though it doesn't cost him a cent.

Mark T

Actually both parents don't have to be physically present. There's a form on the passport website that one parent fills out and signs (must be notarized) to give permission for the other parent to get the passport. I used it in 2003 when I got passports for both of my kids. No problems at all.

Hi Vicki,

You've gotten great advice on passports above, but I wanted to remind you that in addition to that, you'll also need to bring a notarized letter authorizing you to travel internationally with the child and consent to medical treatment if necessary.

I just cruised with my grandson last week (sans parents), and the cruise embarkation person complimented me on the fact that he had a passport, but scolded me because his notarized authorization letter only gave permission to travel and not medical care.

The cruiseships don't need this letter, but some foreign port officials may request it. I like the forms on legaldepot.com, but a Google search for "minor international travel consent forms" may give you enough examples to create your own. The U.S. State Dept does not have guidelines about the requirements of this letter, but as far as I can tell, only one custodial parent needs to sign it. I was never asked for it, but with the medical authorization, I'm sure I won't ever travel without it when I have my grandson without his parents.

Happy cruising!

Actually both parents don't have to be physically present. There's a form on the passport website that one parent fills out and signs (must be notarized) to give permission for the other parent to get the passport. I used it in 2003 when I got passports for both of my kids. No problems at all.

Sorry, I stand corrected. There IS a notorized form available.

Archived