what is a courtesy upgrade????

QueenYaYah

Just made my final payment yesterday for 6-17-06 sailing to Alaska on the Zuiderdam - CS rep verified all info. including cabin # (VE cat.) and said that the system showed a courtesy upgrade. I told her that unless they were going to upgrade us to a suite I didn't want to be upgraded. I asked her if the upgrade would just be from a VE to something like a VC. She said that they would only upgrade to a higher deck and mid-section of the ship (we're on the Veranda deck now) so we would probably go to a SZ or VA or better.

Is this because I'm a past mariner?

Does anyone have any experience or input on this? Would really appreciate any comments!

Thanks, QueenYaYah

A courtesy upgrade is another way of saying you'd be willing to take an upgrade at no charge. Your TA must have added to your record that you were willing to move if upgraded. Their position that it would be "better" is somewhat subjective though.....not all upgrades are equal and the promise of a higher deck and mid-ships might be a bit of a stretch. On the other hand it might work out wonderfully.....that's part of the mystery and wonder of the "upgrade fairy". :) As to whether or not Mariner status matters....who knows. With so many of us Mariners nowadays and the fact that there's really not much to the program anyhow it's hard to say what, if any, impact Mariner status has on a specific decision by HAL.

We've not received an upgrade on a HAL cruise, but have been upgraded several times on Princess, most recent being from standard outside to balcony outside, Regal Princess, 3-9/22-06, 'round the Horn, Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (Santiago).

Who knows why and when? Sometimes, they have oversold a category, and sometimes they are attempting to "even the workload" for the housekeeping department.

On at least two occasions, we have declined an upgrade on Princess, as we thought the location offered not as desireable.

Archived