Carnival Freedom

ehogan

Just booked on the Freedom today - looks like a great itinerary! - I am not too crazy about the overnight in Civitavecchia, we plan to stay on the ship that evening and maybe explore the area around the port, although I gather there is not much in the city to see.

I guess the overnight in Civitavecchia is to accomodate those that want a bit more time in Rome. If you are limited to a day trip to Rome, I guess it will be a benefit but it is not the best way to see Rome. We did a cruise on the Brilliance in May of 2005 and spent a week before in Rome. I can't see how you could possibly see much of Rome in a day, especially since the ride into Rome from Civi is close to two hours each way, depending on traffic. By train it is about an hour to an hour and a half depending on which train you take. The tour we took of the Vatican and the museum alone (and we missed part of the museum) took us five hours, and that did not include any transportation. Also, the travel cost to Rome by limo or cruise transport is about $150 (and that may be only one way); train is much cheaper (about 12 Euro) but is a bit of a hassle. The other thing is if you go into the city for the day, then back to the ship, you will be hit with a high transport cost again the next day to get to the airport. It might be better to just disembark permanently the first day in port - I believe they will be allowing this.

This time, we plan to spend three or four days pre or post cruise in Rome to do the bits we missed last time - it is a spectacular city, it seems around every corner there is something amazing to see. If you possibly can, try to spend more time in Rome than a day.

Anyway, it will be a great cruise.

Which date did you book? There are two group cruises forming here, in April and September. Great rates. I am doing the September 22 cruise.

The overnight in Civi is probably the most often-cited concern with the cruise. Like you, I don't see myself shuttling back and forth between the port and Rome more than once, so the last day of the cruise will probably not be a Rome day. I am sure there is lots to see along the coast of Italy, and there are sure to be lots of tours that will be available.

As you said, I think a post-cruise day or two in Rome makes a lot of sense.

We booked March 14. That's a bit earlier than I would have liked, but we can't be away for the first week of the month, and since I don't do heat well, we need to do this before May. (May 2005 in Rome was 80 degrees plus, every day of the 7 days we were there!)

Hi! I'm on the September 22, 2007 sailing too and I have heard that you can apply for early disembarkation and head to Rome one day earlier. There is supposed to be a form that you can submit to Carnival but I don't think the details are available yet. You may want to check with your TA if you are interested....

Archived