Other Options for a Family of 5

MississippiMom

Yes, I know this is a cruise board. For those of us that have the challenge of planning vacations for families that are larger than four, it can be tough. My husband and I really want to take our three girls on a cruise, but the price may be out of the question for 2006. What other places have you gone to that might work for us?

(We are trying to stay away from renting a condo. on the beach, because that is something that we did a couple of years ago.)

Thanks for any ideas.

Martha

Yes, I know this is a cruise board. For those of us that have the challenge of planning vacations for families that are larger than four, it can be tough. My husband and I really want to take our three girls on a cruise, but the price may be out of the question for 2006. What other places have you gone to that might work for us?

(We are trying to stay away from renting a condo. on the beach, because that is something that we did a couple of years ago.)

Thanks for any ideas.

Martha

I just planned a cruise with the 4 of us. I always find it to be cheaper than gong to the beach for 5 days. Remember it maybe cheaper to book a condo for 5 days, than you have to factor in.... food that YOU cook, and clean up after... 2 kids running around without activities that YOU have to watch.... ice cream treat you pay..... a movie you pay, a show you pay....... after the 5 days are up.... you wanna treat yourself and not cook one night you pay... you end up paying as much or more than the cruise and the service is horrible CUZ YOU are the service :)

I am booked on the enchatment of the sea Ft. Lauderdal to Cozumel Sept 7, 2006. my daughter is missing out on 4 days of school. in fact there are 14 of us going. And the other kids will be missing out 3 days of school. although we have a higher Catgory cabin my inlaw have a steal for this 4 night 5 day cruise. $329 for the first 2 passengers.....and $109 for the 2nd/3rd. total with PORT CHARGES and TAXES $899.00. ALso, you can restrain hyourself from paying out of pocket expenses. even at port. Walk around key west, cozumel go to Paradise Beach.... etc....

AND you are gonna be pampered....kids will be part of thetime in adventure ocean. you don't have to clean or cook. did you seriously do the math on renting a condo at the beach and REALLY factor in all that your gonna do and pay out of pocket.

AND you are gonna be pampered....kids will be part of thetime in adventure ocean. you don't have to clean or cook. did you seriously do the math on renting a condo at the beach and REALLY factor in all that your gonna do and pay out of pocket.

Funny that you should mention this. Our condo vacation two summers ago was the main reason that we started considering a cruise.

I live in an area where so many people just drive down to the Florida Panhandle (also Alabama coastline) and stay in a condo. My husband LOVES Destin, so the first summer after we were married, we packed up his five year old and headed down there to stay at a condo on the beach. I HATED it, because I felt like I didn't get a vacation. I cooked, cleaned, did laundry, went grocery shopping, etc. Fast forward about six years and we decide to try it again, along with my husband's parents, his siblings and all of their spouses and children. I agreed to the trip, but insisted that I have a vacation, too. We had a great time, especially our three kids and their cousins. But we all spent so much money that by the end of the week, I was talking about the fact that we could have all taken a cruise together.

So, yes, I have done the math. But, I can drive to the beach, pretty reasonably. I can't drive to a port during this summer, since the one in New Orleans is closed. And the airfare for five (from our closest airport) is outrageous. Plus, we can only vacation in July, since my stepdaughter no longer lives anywhere near us and her mother would NEVER agree to pulling her out of school to travel with us.

As crazy as it sounds to me (I am a planner), we are considering a "last minute" vacation. I am constantly checking all of the (advertised on CC) cruise agents' specials and searching one of those well-known travel sites for specials. Right now, it looks like we might be able to fly out to the "Mouse's CA House" on a package deal that is amazingly reasonable. (I suspect the 50th birthday celebration has a lot to do with it.)

Traveling as a family of five is just not cheap.:rolleyes:

I think 5 is a hard number to travel with. Most hotels won't accept 5 in a room so you have to book two adjoining rooms or 'sneak' a kid in.

Yes, I am a family of 5 -- We travel 2-4 times per year. we have been on three cruises. Two of them were in family staterooms that accomodated 5. Our last one we splurged and went on Celebrity. Did a Royal Suite connected with a Conceriege class room. It was a 15 day cruise so we needed all the space :-)

I find that Holiday Inns have some 3 bedroom suites that are real nice (and afforable).Better hotels (4 seasons, lowes, Ritz) never complain about bringing in an extra bed. Sometimes hen yu have a family of five it is chaeper to stay in a better hoel which will accomodate you with a roll away bed then to pay for two rooms in a mid-grade hotel.

We tend to alternate expensive vacations with cheaper (read as more work for mom...) Our next vacation in may we are renting an RV (this one has 4 bunk-beds in the back) and driving from California to the Grand Canyon. Lots of stops... even a night in vegas -- but going to both canyon rims, zion canyon, hoover dam, vegas, and malibu along the way.

Sometimes web sites won't let you book 5 in a room -- but when you call them directly you can get a different answer. Dinsney has always been great about accomodating our family of 5 (they are used to large families).

Try the airline web sites sometimes they package whole vacations (air, hotel and car) in their last minute escapes section for very good prices. They even let you book them -- 3 months in advance or more (yes, and they are called last minute ... funny...) Once I got my whole family from California to Hawaii and we stayed at the Ritz Carlton for under $400 per person (this was 5 nights, with air and car included....)

good luck -- and Families of 5 are more fun!

suzanne

Archived