Avoiding the dreaded single supplement

moonvine

I have a retired friend who says he never pays single supplements. He says he calls the cruiseline a few weeks before sailing and asks if they will waive the single supplement if he books a cabin. Unfortunately I am still working and must book way in advance. Anyone know any other ways of avoiding the single supplement?

• 4 weeks later...
Look for cruise lines offering two for one savings. That way you only pay the first person fare and not the usual 200% single supplement.

Have you had success with that Kitty? My understanding is that with these deals, playing the first person fare is usually equivalent to 200% supplement. That is, the 2-for-1 is really just one fare for 2 people, not truly a buy-1-get-1-free deal. Just another way to general business...

Mike, yes, I've had quite a bit of succes with that. I've done it on Regent, RCCI and Crystal. I'm not quite sure what you're saying about those fares actually being a 200% supplement, but that's not the case. For instance, RCCI had a special on Adventure of the Seas, where it was a two'fer. The regular price for the cabin was $1100 a person. My mom and sister paid the $1100 for BOTH of them (two people for the price of one), and I paid $1100 just for me. If it were the regular pricing, mom and sis's bill would have been $2200 and mine would have been the same price of $2200, with the usual 200% single supplement. These two for ones aren't all that common, but it's worth it once you find them.

Mike, yes, I've had quite a bit of succes with that. I've done it on Regent, RCCI and Crystal. I'm not quite sure what you're saying about those fares actually being a 200% supplement, but that's not the case. For instance, RCCI had a special on Adventure of the Seas, where it was a two'fer. The regular price for the cabin was $1100 a person. My mom and sister paid the $1100 for BOTH of them (two people for the price of one), and I paid $1100 just for me. If it were the regular pricing, mom and sis's bill would have been $2200 and mine would have been the same price of $2200, with the usual 200% single supplement. These two for ones aren't all that common, but it's worth it once you find them.

I was thinking along those lines:

- 2 people paid $1100

- You (1 person) paid $1100 for the same category

While there may technically be no supplement, you're still essentially paying for 2 people. A good sale is still a good sale though! :D

Archived