Shorts in dining room

FcapAcap

Really I won't even notice if you do...

Think I would get any strange looks if I show up in board shorts, a tank top, and flip flops? I mean, It's better than showing up in a Speedo and bath robe, right??!!

I'm a young 27 year old male and when i go out to fancy clubs, bars, resturants i always wear jeans. Jeans with a button down shirt, jeans with a polo shirt. I've worn this to Mortons, Delmonicos, NOBU, Many fine resturants. For my generation a pair of nice jeans with a nice shirt is Dress up. And we can look like a million bucks in jeans if its done the right way.

I know this isn't a jeans thread and I know this has been debated to death but I just can't let this misconception go undisputed.:)

It may be true that a man can look good in jeans and a button down or polo shirt and it may be true that the current generation considers this "Dress Up". But it is patently false that jeans and a shirt can look equally dressy as a tasteful suit and tie. Any type of trouser that is suitable for mowing lawns or climbing trees will never be look as good as dress pants.

What you wear to dinner is your choice. However, be aware that your choice has ramifications on others. Regardless of how you feel about dressing up, the plain truth is that when you choose to wear jeans to a formal occasion, you choose to degrade the formality of the occasion.

Think I would get any strange looks if I show up in board shorts, a tank top, and flip flops? I mean, It's better than showing up in a Speedo and bath robe, right??!!

Exactly. If we're going to make everything relative let's just leap right to the lowest common demoninator and wear briefs and a tank top wherever and whenever we feel like it.

...let's just leap right to the lowest common demoninator and wear briefs and a tank top...

You first. :p Cuz no one, I repeat, no one wants to see this in briefs, a Speedo, or any of the kind. :eek:

:D :D

I know this isn't a jeans thread and I know this has been debated to death but I just can't let this misconception go undisputed.:)

It may be true that a man can look good in jeans and a button down or polo shirt and it may be true that the current generation considers this "Dress Up". But it is patently false that jeans and a shirt can look equally dressy as a tasteful suit and tie. Any type of trouser that is suitable for mowing lawns or climbing trees will never be look as good as dress pants.

What you wear to dinner is your choice. However, be aware that your choice has ramifications on others. Regardless of how you feel about dressing up, the plain truth is that when you choose to wear jeans to a formal occasion, you choose to degrade the formality of the occasion.

Probably the best post on this entire thread....BRAVO!

The rules say that you can't wear them to dinner, but I saw some for dinner (plus flip-flops) at dinner on the Conquest in December.

You saw shorts at dinner? man, I have cruised 20 times (21 coming up in a week) and never, no matter what the length of the cruise, what line, or when have I even seen shorts. I have seen jeans a few times but I have also seen people turned away for wearing them. It isn't worth taking the chance unless you don't mind hiking back to you cabin to change. The exception to the rule: the first night as the luggage may not have all arrived to the cabins. Even that I have only witnessed once or twice. NMNita

Regardless of how you feel about dressing up, the plain truth is that when you choose to wear jeans to a formal occasion, you choose to degrade the formality of the occasion.

But, you see, this is the very thing they are trying to do, no? And, do you think they really CARE if they cause ramifications for others? Either they don't care or they're glad that they do. It's called being "self-centered" and I've seen more of that type on this board than nearly any other board on which I've ever participated.

please forgive the heated debate, it is long standing here and we SOMETIMES forget that newbies just don't know, and haven't taken part of past discussions. As recommended, please do a search about attire and you'll need a full case of beer to carry you through. PAINFULL.

so you know, first night, shorts ok.... loose your luggage (been there don't give me a bit ' o crap) ok except formal nights. Depending on your cruise, when you have late port sail times, dinner is claimed "casual" and this does seem to mean, based upon the amount of men dressed in shorts that this goes.

Our last triumph cruise had "casual" dinning nights..... Now to us, we dress anyway... but the announcements stated that shorts on those announced nights were ok. Familys' only seem to dress "down".

Aside from this, shorts are NEVER, NEVER EVER ok in the dinning room... You want to dine in a 4-5 star restaurant... dress the part.... NO, hit the buffet. Period end of story....

I hope this helps you plan you vacation. Know that the buffet (where shorts are ok) is an excellent dinning option for those that choose to not dress and the food is lacking compared to dinning... but apropriate for the attire.

and please don't be offended by the tones in the responses, sometimes we forget that others simply just want to know what flys. ((Just wear the kakki's and collard shirt and call it a day)). But again, we dress the occasion and wouldn't try a shorts bit in a 5* at home.

so in summary, you most likely will be admited and can wear what you want, if you don't mind the chance at being turned away and feel "it's your vacay"... you can certainly give the shorts a run... but please be considerate enough, if turned away... that you won't write a review stating the wait staff is rude and wouldn't seat you.

respectfully

carol

Hear, hear! Bravo! and all those other things that they say on the HAL boards, whilst.

The OP would probably consider me old, but that is irrelevant. In my closet are jeans that I paid considerably more for than the dresses I wore on formal nights on my last cruise. The fact that they were expensive, have no holes, and are not faded or frayed, does not make them appropriate attire for the dining room. Even if I wore a fancy, sparkly top with them, they are still jeans and are not appropriate.

Go ahead, wear whatever you choose in the dining room, but keep in mind what Petey said - you are degrading the occasion for the rest of your fellow passengers. That selfishness is what has defined "your generation" for many years. I'm sure your mom is proud.

Wow!!! Caribbean dad, you were right!! :confused: Too funny!!:D

Well here goooooes - Meaty Petey whats up with this current generation slam??? (and by the way that's your opinion) Every one has their own opinion (thats what makes the world go round) how boring would it be if everyone had the same opinion. ;) Oh yeah, 4yanx whats up with the "THEY" thing? You talking about aliens?:rolleyes:

Also, I may be new to the board but I have sailed on 8 cruises. :)

Now if we were saying "Dad, dad, dad". That would go both ways. :)

DO NOT!!! No batting for the other team here :eek: er, not that there's anything wrong with that sort of thing.......to each his own and all......

.....OH! d-a-d spelled backwards is d-a-d. Got it. My mistake. :p ;) :D

I only said lunch and dinner... per our Matre'd. Before you label people "tools", on our December cruise, there was a family that lost all their luggage. It took them several days before they were not wearing shorts! They were welcomed into the dining room for DINNER, it was not their fault, and they should not be punished for others mistakes, so I would suggest when you do see someone "improperly" dressed in the dining room, they may be happy and grateful to be there and with the Maitre'd having blessed it as this family experienced.

The real tools were the people that were not aware of their story and judged them as slobs...

Ok, I don't know who you are...but you are NOT RoodDood!!! The real RoodDood would have surely said something smart and sarcastic. Don't you know it is a violation to sign-in under someone else's screen name and post things. Where is Mr. RoodDood???? ;)

Don't you get tired of hearing "I don't care what anyone thinks I just want to make myself happy" ME ME ME it's always about me.

Actually, I agree with that. If I went around wondering what people thought about me, I would go crazy. If you don't like me...okay!!! No skin off my back, just happily remove yourself from my presence. So, if that is a me, me, me attitude...then I am GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!!

Actually, I agree with that. If I went around wondering what people thought about me, I would go crazy. If you don't like me...okay!!! No skin off my back, just happily remove yourself from my presence. So, if that is a me, me, me attitude...then I am GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!!

I only said I get tired of hearing the "I don't care what people think" believe me it carries over to every part of the persons life who has that attitude. Try hiring a good employee with that direction.

Archived