Do I go before or after my kid turns 18 year?

lakerat2

ANyone have a 18 yearold that can give some suggestions if they miss the teen activities.

I am trying to decide what time would be better to go cruising before

my son turns 18 or after. His birthday is in Oct. I really wanted to go in December ( due to hurricane season.) We are leaning on Royal caribbean ship probably the Navigator or the marnier. But I am worried if I wait until after he is 18 He will not beable to participate in the teen activities an be bummed out.

Any recommendations on what cruise lines are best for 13 & 17 years olds?

Thanks

lakerat:rolleyes:

We last cruised with our kids when they were 13 and 17. We cruised on Royal Carib. out of Galveston. Probably the biggest organized activity that either of our kids attended was when they opened up and roped off a part of a lounge just for teens. The kids just moved in and 'hung out'.

I can't say they really did any other organized things with the teen program. They did, however, seem to join up with their new friends and occupied themselves (to all hours of the night!) just hanging around the ship (our son ate 5-6 meals/day just hanging around!).

Remember that 18 is legal drinking age on a ship. This is not enforced much, though - and although they say beer and wine only for 18-21, in reality it seems to be an open bar. Perhaps this has changed somewhat with the recent news going around.

Once the kids turn 18 they are considered adults--with the exception of the drinking issue--on most ships. Any organized teen activities only go through age 17.

That said, We only have experience with Carnival--and my twin nearly 17 year olds who cruised with us last December on the Valor found that the teen activities for the older teens (15-17) were not all the great. They participated in a few of the activities (which are mostly evening), but found for the most part that the kids who participated at that age were on the juvenile side, and the teen club director tended to gear all the hype and activities toward the more immature kids. Most of the high schoolers ended up forming their own groups.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Laker, actually the drinking age varies with cruiselines. On Carnival, for instance, the drinking age is 21. They are quite strict about this, and anybody under the age of 21 - their Sail & Sign card will be encoded as to their age. They will NOT be served any beer or any type alcoholic beverage.

Sorry, can't help about the activities part.

Laker, actually the drinking age varies with cruiselines. On Carnival, for instance, the drinking age is 21. They are quite strict about this, and anybody under the age of 21 - their Sail & Sign card will be encoded as to their age. They will NOT be served any beer or any type alcoholic beverage.
Remember that 18 is legal drinking age on a ship. This is not enforced much, though - and although they say beer and wine only for 18-21, in reality it seems to be an open bar. Perhaps this has changed somewhat with the recent news going around.
On RCCL the current policy is wine or beer ONLY if the also onboard and traveling parents give written permission. If you don't want your teen drinking, you don't have to give this approval. Also, sit down and have a family talk about the consequences should your new adult decide to try and find a way around the system.

Thanks for correcting that drinking age thing. Our kids were never served (I'm sure they never tried being the good kids they are ;) ).

Our two kids were daughter-13 and son-17. The prior post is right on about the more mature kids forming their own groups and blowing off the organized activities (at least on RCCL).

Our daughter, however, left the ship with an 18-year old tatoo'ed & pierced 'fine young man' calling her for weeks, and our 17 year old had this unexplained mark on his neck and a very goofy grin. "We were just fooling around, Dad." Yup. I remember hormones....

We haven't taken them on a cruise since (and our kids understand our decision!). But we have enjoyed cruising for the very first time as a kid-less couple (what an experience - highly recommended!). Our current thinking is that we will take our kids on a cruise again...once they are married! :o .

The prior advice is very good - know your kids, sit down and talk before the cruise, and touch base often during the cruise. Our rule was that they HAD to join us for dinner. In hindsight, maybe this rule didn't work so well :rolleyes: .

• 2 weeks later...

We will be sailing with two 18 year olds...... what is the drinking age on the Majesty? I have heard that they can drink beer or wine with written permission from parents. Is this enforced? How do they verify the wrotten permission. We will be with them(their parents) but just curious how they verify this. Thanks for your help..... with I am sure plenty more questions to come!

We will be sailing with two 18 year olds...... what is the drinking age on the Majesty? I have heard that they can drink beer or wine with written permission from parents. Is this enforced? How do they verify the wrotten permission. We will be with them(their parents) but just curious how they verify this. Thanks for your help..... with I am sure plenty more questions to come!

The drinking age is 18 for beer and wine with parental permission, 21 for all other alcohol. How it is enforced is when you check in you will have to fill out a form authorizing them to purchase alcohol (if you want to). You can even do this with the online check in. Then, depending on if you allow it or not they will punch their SeaPass card. Two punches - no alcohol (or under 18). 1 punch - beer and wine allowed. No punches free reign of the ship (only allowed for 21 and up).

Oh, wait. Are you sailing on RCCL's Majesty of the Seas, or NCL's Majesty. The above advice only applies to Royal Caribbean.

Archived