Bed Bugs on Voyager?

That is a relief to hear. I sure hope that nothing changes between now and our cruise. I have a real phobia about bugs, so I'm not sure what I would do on a ship for twp weeks with no where to go

Thanks again,

Dorie

Anyone ever experienced bed bug bites on Voyager of the Seas

Getting nervous about cruise and wondering what to bring to combat the problem because the ship is sold out!

Dorie

Sorry Dorie, but I just got back from Mariner cruise 3/12 - I got bed bug bites all over my arms, hands, shoulders and knees. I didn't break out with them until later. My dermatologist said sometimes people don't break out from the bites until a few days have passed. It has totally kept me from sleeping - worried I brought them home with me. I got a lot of good advice on these boards though - do NOT put your suitcases under the bed. Take the sheets off the mattresses and really really look for "staining" - black smudges. The bugs are light brown and flat and hide virtually anywhere. THey turn black after they have bitten you and sucked some of your blood. Unfortunately one bed bug can live for over 500 days on one "meal". Good luck and try not to worry.

To the poster who asked why there are so many posts about bedbugs: The the media has seemed to pick up on the story that bed bugs are on the rise. Not just on cruiseships but everywhere. There have been several shows, news programs, on TV over the last few months. We watched one a few weeks back, 20/20 maybe, that focused in on 5 star hotels in NYC. Searched and searched in several hotels where they have been reported. Did find remnants in one room. It was an interesting show because they told you (and showed you) what to look for and where to look for them. Very informative. Really no point in worrying about it. A cabin can be clean one week and infected the next. They come in on people luggage/clothing. The odds of having them in your cabin is probably slighly better than getting pushed over the railing in the midst of fight with your significant other. Still the odds are against it. If you are going to worry about it, you might want to stay home. Its nothing you have control over.

Had a recent scare of this myself, and did a lot of research!

First, do not put your luggage on the ground or under bed. Store in a higher place as they do not crawl up things too well.

Pull the sheets off the mattresses, and look all along the seam areas. They hide in the crevices along those seams. Look for blackended or red areas of their excrement, or blood, and for the critters themselves which are tiny, 1/4 " long, oval shaped. Or, bigger if they are engorged with blood. Do an online search, and you will see what they look like. If you see anything like this, I would leave the cabin and never return!!!!!!! The quotes we got for treating our home averaged about 1000.00!!! Makes for a very expensive cruise! Not to mention the agonizing itching. If you see no evidence of bedbugs after inspecting the mattresses, you should be fine! Also, if you wake up in the morning and notice small blood spots on your sheets, not good. Your blood continues to leak small amounts after they bite you cause they inject a blood thinner, so tiny blood spots not a good sign!!

Check the mattresses out, and then relax and have a great cruise!!

A piece of advice? Don;t read the bedbug threads. I read a batch before my first cruise and I lay there each night wondering and itching simply from the thought of it. Frankly, if you stay in hotels, you have just as much likelihood of getting them.

Archived