Night Whale Watching in Juneau

Kraeaus

My husband and I are booked on the NIGHT whale watching excursion (5pm-8pm on Princess). Has anyone done this before? I am worried that we wont see any whales? Are the day time ones better? My husband thought that with the night time one, we might be able to get closer.

Thanks for the help.

Last year I went on my own to Glacier Bay and took two whale watch tours, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

The one in the morning was very good with about 14 whales and lots of "normal" action, like swiming, going down, a lot of tails, etc .... it was if I can call it " a lot of fun ".

I was so trilled, that I take another trip next day, but try it in the afternoon, this one was, at first, a little less interesting, with about 8 whales, but about 5 pm., a great reward came to us, we got a "full action" 30 minute, best in my life experience, whale display, with breachings, bubble feeding, etc.

I have taken only morning tours while in a cruise and they all been very good, but this year Im looking for a repeat of last year performance and book with captain Larry the evening tour from 3pm to 6:30pm.

Hope the whales are hungry and having fun, enjoy all of it ¡¡¡¡¡

We took the night whale watching excursion with Holland America (6 to 9:30 PM). It also included a buffet dinner on board. We did see whales, and it was thrilling when one went right under our boat. The boats aren't allowed to get too close to the whales, but in this case, the whales came to us! I think you'll have a great time.

I missed what month you're coming in, but for most of the summer months, 5-8 pm is hardly considered "night" here in Juneau. If you're here in early-season (may/June) it might be a bit twilight-ish, but not dark. If you're here in July or August 5-8 pm will be close to broad daylight, so don't worry about not being able to see in the dark... It's only early April now, and with the recent time-change the sun isn't officially setting until almost 8 pm.

Also, like folks have mentioned in previous posts in other threads, the whales are here feeding and playing 24/7. I've seen well over 100 of those "once-in-a-lifetime" whale displays, and they've all been at different times of the day.

For all the whale watchers coming this way, Harv & Marv spotted the first 3 or 4 whales near Shelter Island last week, and I stopped to watch a juvenile humpback feeding in Gastineau channel (about 2 minutes from the cruise ship docks) at 5:30pm this past Sunday... all signs are pointing to a phenominal summer for whale watching this year!

-Case

We have whales here year round. Not all of them migrate. The whales that do migrate do not normally start showing up here in the Juneau area until mid April. These were probably a few of our "local" whales, but some could have showed up early. I am sure all the folks interested in whale watching, and Myself included, appreciate Case's report. I am equally sure he will tell us all if I am wrong.

Larry's right, they probably ARE "local" whales we're seeing... he's also right that they don't normally begin showing up so close to town until later in the spring. Are there any "resident" orcas? or are all of the local whales humpback? Captain Harv spotted 3 or 4 orcas feeding near DIPAC this afternoon as well...

Whether they're local or migratory whales, they're here earlier than usual. I would guess they're following the enormous amounts of feed I've been seeing in the water lately...

-Case

Archived