Penalize the Passengers?

Eleris

Just want opinions to this played out topic. If the airline were to lose your luggage do you think the passengers should be forced to dine alternate dining only? Assuming your suitcase with your dress clothes does not catch up to your vacation does that mean you are not entitled to the main dining room? I realize they have some dressy clothes onboard but how will that look with sneakers cause they don't sell shoes....

I think the cruiseline would overlook it but that won't stop the other passengers from making comments! (unless the passengers can wear a sign around their neck that says "Sorry! My luggage was lost by my airline"! ;-)

The airline lost one of my bags a year ago on my Empress cruise and the ship provided me a pair of tux shoes for the duration as my dress shoes were in the lost bag. They would have provided me with a whole tux if I had needed one. They are pretty helpful in helping out even when it is not their fault.:)

Our tablemates on our Bermuda cruise on Zenith had their luggage "lost" by British Air on their way over to NYC.

Celebrity gave the gentleman a tux for the entire cruise free of charge and also let his wife pick out some clothes too. They had somethings with them, but not allot.

They did get their bags when we got to Bermuda. British Air shipped them to the ship in Bermuda.

So Celebrity will lend you clothes so you don't feel out of place.

Just want opinions to this played out topic. If the airline were to lose your luggage do you think the passengers should be forced to dine alternate dining only? Assuming your suitcase with your dress clothes does not catch up to your vacation does that mean you are not entitled to the main dining room? I realize they have some dressy clothes onboard but how will that look with sneakers cause they don't sell shoes....
That's a worst case scenerio, kind of like being the first person to miss a lifeboat on the Titanic. Are we doing trans-Atlantic, where there are no ports of call, before the formal night? Or are we stopping in Key West, 15 hours after our cruise starts? And many persons knowadays where sneakers anywhere, anytime. Could you check and see with the ship's personel to see if there's a solution, or absolution for you attire? And if it's truly not your fault for the baggage malfunction, why worry about what I may think about your sneakers? You could always say, "I just had surgery on my toes", to anyone who may look down at you. Sneakers were worn to the Academy Award's again this year, so act Hollywoodish. Your ok. Metrowon

It was quite afew years ago, but when our luggage was left behind and had to catch up with us ( not airlines fault though, was cruiseship personnel) On Rhapsody, they gave me a $200 giftshop credit, so I was able to buy something to wear Limited choice for evening but at least black and I had my jewelry in carryon. Had the same problem though. No shoes and all they had were flipflop type sandals. The manager of the shop asked me what size I wore and was same size as her and she loaned me a pair of her own shoes. Above and beyond the call of duty. I will always remember her for her genorosity.( husband had rented a tux for onboard so he was ok)

This actually happened to the table next to ours on one of our cruises.

X was gracious enough to help them find clothing for dining. THere are always formal rentals available onboard for both men and women. While they were very "festive on informal as well as formal nights" we overlooked that they were overly casual on casual nights.

The difference is they took a less than good situation, asked the appropriate questions and were given help because of their graciousness and understanding of the situation.

Dave:eek:

Years ago (l986) on a SE Asian cruise on Golden Odyssey, one gent's bags never did catch up with him, on a 2 week cruise.

He borrowed clothes, and bought some, and looked fine at almost all times. People who were aware of the problem were understanding, and I don't recall hearing any snide remarks.

Our tablemates on our Bermuda cruise on Zenith had their luggage "lost" by British Air on their way over to NYC.

Celebrity gave the gentleman a tux for the entire cruise free of charge and also let his wife pick out some clothes too. They had somethings with them, but not allot.

So Celebrity will lend you clothes so you don't feel out of place.

Sounds like a great way to avoid packing. I just bring some underwear in a carryon and tell Celebrity that the airline lost my luggage with my nice clothes. They lend me clothes for the trip so I bring less and have less dirty clothes to take home.....:D :D

This is always something that I have been ultra-paranoid about. I know that luggage is rarely lost (far less than 1 percent of the time), but it still worries me to be on a mobile vacation and lose my formal-wear.

What I typically do to combat this is pack about half of my casual clothes in my carry-on, along with half of my more dressy dinner-wear.

The other half of each goes in the larger bag that gets checked -- suit coats, etc.

Worst case scenerio, I could still get away with going to Casual/Informal evenings without really being out of dress code.

Several years ago on a cruise a couple near us did not receive their luggage for the entire cruise. Problem was the gentleman was very, very heavy and very tall. They did not have anything on board which would fit him. They ate every night in the dining room and I give them credit as they had a great attitude for not having their luggage. Sometimes there is nothing that can be done.

Happens that on our last cruise we were travelling with Several couples. One fellow left a suitcase at his home with his pants and shirts and jackets in it. He made do by wearing his tux pants and shoes every night to dinner. The other people at our table either didn't notice or couldn't care less. We all had a great time! BTW his wife had packed for him and he managed to throw the blame her way...my wife would never hear of that...either throwing the blame OR packing for me!!!

Happens that on our last cruise we were traveling with Several couples. One fellow left a suitcase at his home with his pants and shirts and jackets in it. He made do by wearing his tux pants and shoes every night to dinner. The other people at our table either didn't notice or couldn't care less. We all had a great time! BTW his wife had packed for him and he managed to throw the blame her way...my wife would never hear of that...either throwing the blame OR packing for me!!!

My worse nightmare is leaving at suitcase home. I have that dream all the time. One time the dream was we were sailing out of NY (we live in CT) and I went all the way back home to get the suitcase because it had all the "good clothes in it". I made it back to the ship just in time to board.

I know I need professional help.

As for my husband's packing skills, they are horrible. He lays out what he thinks he needs on the bed and then makes me put them in the suitcase.

Archived