Does the QM2 pass Titanic?

Zot

Hello,

Taking our first transatlantic on the QM2 - eastbound on 4/29. Anybody know how close she passes the site of the Titanic? Is there a memorial service if/when they do?

Thanks,

Zot

Hello,

Taking our first transatlantic on the QM2 - eastbound on 4/29. Anybody know how close she passes the site of the Titanic? Is there a memorial service if/when they do?

Thanks,

Zot

QM2 will more than likely pass very close to the Titanic's last position at sea. There is a marker on the navigation chart. There won't be any service, but there should be a notice in the program as to when QM2 is expected to be near the spot.

It all depends. I have spoken to some whom have gone right over the site and others have not. On our transatlantic on QE2 3 years ago we were about a 100 miles south of Titanic's position.

Ed

On our transatlantic crossing in November 2005 Captain Warner announced during his midday address that on our fourth night out at 3.00am we would pass 50 miles north of the wreck site of the Titanic.

If you go to the bridge viewing area you can see on one of the instrument panels to the right the co-ordinates of the Titanic site are posted there.

In the chartroom bar on the QE2 there is a chart of the northern route and the southern route for the NYC to Southhampton route and and return !!!!also on the chart is a marking for the titanic"s location.The chart is very large and is directly behind the back bar> There is a similar but much smaller chart on the side wall of the QM2 bar but I don't recall if it has the same markings or if it shows the routes!!!

We did a Northern trans-Atlantic crossing on Royal Princess, 8-02, and passed within 75 miles of Titanic's resting place, but it was in the middle of the night, and little mention was made of that fact.

At the time, the then new movie Titanic was on board (the crew saw it), but the cruise director did not want to show it to the passengers, claiming that he thought it too upsetting. Needless to say, I disagreed with him, but he prevailed.

I was surprised to learn from Captain Warwick on our June crossing last year that QM2 was passing the site well to the north of it. I was previously under the impression that ships sailed a more southerly route since that accident, but suppose with radar/sonar and such, that is no longer necessary. The QM2 hugged the North America coastline through Canada before cutting east toward England in June.

Paul

A great deal depends on the Captain and on the weather.

Supposed Commander Warwick was know for the British 'straight line to port without regard to the weather' while other captains tended to travel more based on the weather. The crew told me they can tell who is at the helm based on the weather they encounter!

On my August 2005 Crossing the ocean was like a bath tub most of the time! GREAT.

And we crossed OVER the Titanic at about 11am and it was announced at the noon-time announcement.

I think it all depends on the weather on each Crossing.

I do not recall the name .. it was the Princess Captain that they put in (and I think is back). Commadore Warwick is the original one .. our Captain was the other one.. th crew said his Princess 'training' had him steer around the storms for a smooth trip.. while the Commadore like to show off what the ship could really handle!

.. while the Commadore like to show off what the ship could really handle!
It is interesting you mention this because we went through some fairly heavy seas one day - waves were washing over the lower windows. I thought that day definitely added to the experience of a crossing in a good way.

I wonder who will be in command beginning April 15.

Paul

My understanding is that following the Titanic's sinking, the shipping lanes were moved further south so as to avoid ice.

My understanding also until talking to a QE2 captain a few years ago. He said it was a common misconception. Indeed, he said, Titanic was already sailing so far south that he had only sailed south of the site a handfull of times in his career.

He also admitted that passengers love to be told that they are "over the wreck" and they often announce this when at the closest point although they may be many miles north.

Regards, Colin.

Despite popular thoughts, Titanic was actually very far south for that time of the year. Generally in April time it is customary to cross very far north, that is a great circle from Bishops Rock direct to Cape Race. This is because the ice is still frozen up off Canada and Western Greenland and doesn't pose a threat. In fact the recommended position for accepted ice limits are 40N/40W, Titanic was at 41N, so she was only slightly north of this position out of the ice season.

Around May time the ice starts moving, so you'll find the QM2 going further south to keep out of the way, and thats most likely when you'll go directly over the top of her.

Hope these ramblings of mine help! :)

We were told by the Captain of QM2 on our June 2004 crossing from Southampton to New York that the Titanic was directly under us.

On the way home we were many miles away from it.

Commodore Warwick is very much interested in the Titanic, and has actually been down to her.

He gave me a very interesting article from the British Titanic Society on our 3 Jan Panama cruise.

Speaking of the Commodore, Doc, I meant to mention, there is a marvelous chapter about the QE2's Falkland re-oufitting and service in the Commodore's book on the QE2. (also very sobering, realizing what they went through and the utter silliness that started the whole conflict. You can buy the book on board.

Karie, who has an autographed copy <G> (He did a book signing on our cruise)

A little off topic I know, but anyone interested in the Titanic may care to read the excellent account by a young teacher called Lawrence Beesley, who got off on lifeboat 13 (we have done a fair amount of research as my husband's grandfather was on the same lifeboat).

Regards, Mary

Karie is right about Commodore Warwick going down to Titanic. Both the Commodore and his son Sam are very interested in Titanic. When my wife and I sat at their table for a week in 1998, we talked abut Titanic on a couple of nights. Some discussions were abut whether the artifacts should be recovered inside the ship due to being a grave site.

The Commodore was given the trip down to Titanic by an elderly British lady whom had won the trip at a charity auction. She was going through the greeting line on ship and asked the Commodore if he was interested in the trip. He was, so she gave it to him. This was told to me by Kim (the Commodore's wife) in 2001.

I wish I had that kind of luck. I would love to go down to Titanic!.

Ed

Ed, We are on the November crossing this year..... Tell me about the weather and also can you give me a feel for the dress code. This is our first on QM2, we have been on Holland America and Celebrity.

dalebo

On the QM2's Inaugural crossing to New York, a service was held one morning in memory of the Titanic and Commodore Warwick scattered the ashes of his parents into the sea.

I also remember reading that Bill Miller has been engaged by a group who are planning to try and charter the QM2 for the centenary commemoration of the loss of the Titanic.

Wayne

... talking to a QE2 captain a few years ago ... He also admitted that passengers love to be told that they are "over the wreck" and they often announce this when at the closest point although they may be many miles north.
If you want to be sure, write this down before you go, and then keep an eye on the ship's position during the crossing.

The Titanic went down at approximately 49 degrees, 56', 54" W, 41 degrees, 43' 35" N. Stated easier, watch for when you are closest to the intersection of the 50 degree longitude and the 43/44 degree latitude location.

This way, any cruise critic board member can know whether you are truly close, or just "in the area," by several hundred miles.

I was fortunate enough last June to have Commodore Warwick show me a slide show of his dive on Titanic. It was very interesting, particularly in terms of the detail captured on his images. He is indeed a Titanic enthusiast.

Paul

Hi dalebo,

Our transatlantic was in June so I can not speak of the weather in November. The dress code on QM2 does not seem as "formal" as on QE2. At night, you should have a suit and/or tuxedo. During the day, nice slacks or at least a very good pair of jeans/shorts. For shirts, I like to wear polo/golf shirts.

I wish the attire/atmosphere on QM2 was as good as QE2 but, different ship, different people.

Just remember to enjoy the beauty of the ship and the crossing. Enjoy.

Ed

My understanding also until talking to a QE2 captain a few years ago. He said it was a common misconception. Indeed, he said, Titanic was already sailing so far south that he had only sailed south of the site a handfull of times in his career.

He also admitted that passengers love to be told that they are "over the wreck" and they often announce this when at the closest point although they may be many miles north.

Regards, Colin.

Thanks, Colin. (I lost this thread since it was moved from "Ask a Cruise Question." As you can see from my signature, I'm not a regular here - but I'm an ocean liner buff and I'd love to do a transatlantic someday.:) ) It makes sense that the ships would stay as far north as possible, given the shorter distance.

Archived