Booked on Delta

richcrow

We are booked on Delta Airlines to Seattle for our cruise to Alaska on May 27th and returning on June 3rd. Do you think that we should have a backup plan in case their pilots go on strike? Any suggestions?

Richard

The union has given them a date when they can strike. After they authorize a strike, they have to give 10 days notice from the day they authorize. That should put it to the end of April. I think I would try and have A back up plan. If Delta strikes, it might just be the end of that airline.:cool:

We're booked on Delta to San Diego on April 14th returning the 22nd - the panel is supposed to rule on the strike on the 15th. Guess we'll make it there for our cruise, but possibly not home. At least if we had to we could rent a car and drive.

We are on Delta too for May 27th to Montreal. I read this morning that the vote was to strike, they got 95% in favor. I also read that if they do go on strike that will be the end of the airline. But the article said that they probably won't go out and not to fear if you are already booked on Delta. If I had done it myself I would be changing now, but I booked HAL's air which we usually don't do so I guess HAL will take care of it. I don't have any documents yet and don't expect to get them for awhile so HAL has the time.

Kathy

I think it depends on your personality. If it were me I would book another airline (if possible) and kiss the $$$ goodbye. I did that last October when we had an American flight for a Satuday with a hurricane predicted to arrive that day.

There was no way I wasn't going to get to LAX to board the ship so I booked for Friday on Southwest, kissed the AA tickets good-bye and got the heck out of Dodge.

In the end the hurricane didn't come until Monday and we would have been fine, but I still had peace of mind and it was worth it to me.

This is big Delta country here. They did vote 95% to strike and if they go ahead and do that I think the airline will be history. No question you will probably be accommodated elsewhere, but do you really want that hassle just before a cruise?

JMHO:)

This is the first I have heard of a possible strike! I am booked on June 8 to fly to Russia on Delta and back on July9. Cross your fingers. I did this with miles and can't just switch and airfare would be $3000+.

We're also on Delta to San Diego on 04/21 and back home on 04/30. Driving is not an option since we're in Arkansas. I looked for back-up options and there are very few, unless I want to spend big $$$. The only reason we're on Delta now is we had credit and had to use it. We swore off them several years ago. But, we booked a trip thru them because at the time they were the only seats we could get, and we ended up having to cancel anyway. But, it didn't surprise me when they announced bankruptcy. Their customer service has been non-existent for years. I hope the strike doesn't happen for all of us.

I just checked my travel insurance and it states that I will be reimbursed 100% trip cost if my trip has to be cancelled or 125% trip cost if my trip has to be interrupted. So, other than possibly missing my cruise all together (which I sure don't want to do), I don't believe that i will have a problem if I stay with Delta. Here's hoping that if they do go on strike our wonderful bureaucratic government will step in and make them go back to work.

Richard

We're also on Delta to San Diego on 04/21 and back home on 04/30. Driving is not an option since we're in Arkansas. I looked for back-up options and there are very few, unless I want to spend big $$$. The only reason we're on Delta now is we had credit and had to use it. We swore off them several years ago. But, we booked a trip thru them because at the time they were the only seats we could get, and we ended up having to cancel anyway. But, it didn't surprise me when they announced bankruptcy. Their customer service has been non-existent for years. I hope the strike doesn't happen for all of us.

Have you looked at Southwest? Last weekend I had to book a very last minute ticket (same day) to and from San Diego into Little Rock and managed to find a $500 fully refundable ticket on Southwest. This may be the way to go as you would be guaranteed a flight but you could use it at any time.

I looked at all of them. Like I said earlier, we had some credit with Delta, and this ticket cost us $22. I know it was already my money but we felt like we'd stolen it. But, my husband has mobility problems and we had to find the shortest possible route. I looked at American and Continental and a few others, and they hardly had any seats. I know if it comes down to it, we'll take what we can get, but I'm hoping Delta will come thru.

We're booked to fly to Europe in June. I am waiting until April 15th to see what is going to happen, then may buy some fully refundable coach tickets to be sure we get there. Our present tickets are biz class, so it would be the pits but at least we wouldnt miss the cruise.

HAL has us booked on Delta for late September. I hope that one way or the other, we will know what will happen to Delta. The consensus opinion is that if the pilots walk out, Delta will be finished.

I would like to think that HAL has some kind of contingency plan for air travel for its customers whom they have booked on Delta, if Delta folds. But, I bet it is difficult to plan for such an event.

Just a word of caution ... this has nothing to do with Delta, but it could happen to you.

With all this talk about air I decided to go on Jet Blue's website to confirm some air reservations I had made for August. Sure enough my confirmation popped right up, BUT with a flight 9 hours later than the one I had booked!!!

I never received a notice of the change and when I asked them why they told me they were "probably in the process" of notifying everyone. Seems they cancelled the flight I was on and moved me to the later one which would be fine if I didn't have to be at my destination earlier in the day than midnight!!!

Luckily I was able to book an alternate flight into JFK (I'd been going to LGA), but had I not checked this now I might have missed my nephew's wedding!!!

So every now and then, confirm those flights! You never know.

We booked our own air for our upcoming river cruise (next week :) ) way back in October. We selected American Airlines and booked directly with AA on their website.

Since then, AA has emailed us twice with changes to flights and schedules, so it looks like at least AA is doing a good job to keep it's passengers updated by email, at least those who book direct with them.

Just a word of caution ... this has nothing to do with Delta, but it could happen to you.

With all this talk about air I decided to go on Jet Blue's website to confirm some air reservations I had made for August. Sure enough my confirmation popped right up, BUT with a flight 9 hours later than the one I had booked!!!

I never received a notice of the change and when I asked them why they told me they were "probably in the process" of notifying everyone. Seems they cancelled the flight I was on and moved me to the later one which would be fine if I didn't have to be at my destination earlier in the day than midnight!!!

Luckily I was able to book an alternate flight into JFK (I'd been going to LGA), but had I not checked this now I might have missed my nephew's wedding!!!

So every now and then, confirm those flights! You never know.

I just happened to check my flights in December (with Delta :( ) and found out that my flights had changed as well. My connector was leaving about 2 hrs. before I would get in!!!!! :eek: I just got them changed. Let's just hope the worse doesn't happen with Delta. I got a good price and would hate to lose that money plus play a higher amount.

Oh well . . . The cruise will help us relax!

Blessings!

I think it depends on your personality. If it were me I would book another airline (if possible) and kiss the $$$ goodbye. I did that last October when we had an American flight for a Satuday with a hurricane predicted to arrive that day.

There was no way I wasn't going to get to LAX to board the ship so I booked for Friday on Southwest, kissed the AA tickets good-bye and got the heck out of Dodge.

In the end the hurricane didn't come until Monday and we would have been fine, but I still had peace of mind and it was worth it to me.

This is big Delta country here. They did vote 95% to strike and if they go ahead and do that I think the airline will be history. No question you will probably be accommodated elsewhere, but do you really want that hassle just before a cruise?

JMHO:)

I worked for DL several years ago when another major airline went on strike. It is true that the major airlines are supposed to accomodate passengers who are needing to rebook who are affected by the strike, however, it is not for ANY seat on the plane....if you have an "L" class ticket, then you would be booked on the corresponding class on DL, etc. Your new reservation may have to be hours or even days prior to the original time you had planned for.

Hate to see this happening to DL...they were an excellent company to work for.

We are booked on Delta Airlines to Seattle for our cruise to Alaska on May 27th and returning on June 3rd. Do you think that we should have a backup plan in case their pilots go on strike? Any suggestions? Richard

We were looking at a nice route on Delta that worked with my brother meeting midway to get to London from the west coast, but the more we thought about it, we passed and went with AA. :)

We booked our own air for our upcoming river cruise (next week :) ) way back in October. We selected American Airlines and booked directly with AA on their website.

Since then, AA has emailed us twice with changes to flights and schedules, so it looks like at least AA is doing a good job to keep it's passengers updated by email, at least those who book direct with them.

We always book directly with the airline and I was pleased with AA's notification system in that respect. I'm stunned that Jet Blue didn't do the same. They did tell me that it is their policy to do so when an email is submitted (mine was) and if not, they call! I received neither, but they assured me they were in "the process" of doing that.

The problem is that "the process" could take some time and you might not be able to get an alternate plan! :o

So as usual, sometimes it's better to just "do it yourself"!;)

Boy, Fox News has just reported some good news.:) Delta and the pilot's union have reached an agreement. Now if the piolt's will just ratify it, maybe I can quit worrying about our flights to Seattle.

Richard

Personnaly, I doubt they would shoot themselves in the foot. Now I understand that they have taken deep cuts but these guys were hands down the most highly paid pilots in the sky. Are they now equil to the others? who's to say. I am concerned for my uncle who is a retired "weather guesser" with Delta if they go Belly Up.

Archived