First Off The Ship...

rosemike

When you fill out your forms, put on there that you are doing your own transportation and write down an early time. When we were getting off in Rome we had arranged a car to pick us up at 9am and no problem we got off in time. HAL is really good about that.

Kathy

Thanks for the information,Kathy. I was just reading the thread on "BRIGHT STAR" and was thinking someone would tell me that was a sure way of getting off the ship quick. Seriously, my prayers go out to all who have lost someone while traveling.

Can you pull or carry all your bags off the ship?

If so, ask the front desk if your home port has the Express Walk Off option. You do not put any colored tags on your bags or put them out in the hall the night before. You keep them in the cabin and you pull them off the ship yourself. This happens befoe they start calling colors when the other bags are being set up on the pier.

Express Disembarkation is not always offered. Last year the Westerdam offered it, this year it did not.

To qualify, you must 1) be a U. S. Citizxen. 2) have a credit card on file.3) be able to carry your own luggage.

If the ship offers it, it is great. You are in a cab and gone before they even start unloading luggage.

Hey, thanks for all the info. Yes, we can carry our own luggage. The last time we sailed , on the Zuiderdam '03, a women came up behind me and grabed one of our bags while I waited for my wife to get a porter to helps us to a cab. My back was turned towards the bags and didn't discovered the missing bag until my wife returned with the porter. Neither my wife or the porter could believe someone walked-up behind me and grab one of our bags thinking it was theirs. Lucky, I cought the lady with our bags, before she had left the custom building with the help of security. She gave me a "well" and went on her way. I think now we can handle our bags ourself.

It appears that suite passengers have the highest priority. However, my two times I sailed on HAL I asked for an "early off" because I was driving home. I got off at about 8:30 a.m. both times.

early offs go to the people who have the earliest plane connections-- people who have their own transportation or are staying in town are generally the last to get off because plane departures take priority

On the Volendam last month, I went to the Front Office with my form and explained to them that I had made my own flight reservation because in order to even take the cruise I was cutting it down to the wire. I had flown a red-eye in the day of the cruise and had to work the night the cruise ended. The only possible flight to get me back to California from FLL was leaving early and I had to be on it. I also added that in all of my previous cruises I had never asked for a favor and really, really needed to be helped out this one time. I acknowleged that all I could do was ask and hope for the best. I did not demand anything. I just asked them to do what they could. I smiled a lot.

And the tags came and I put my luggage out, and I was in the very first group called. I was off the ship in plenty of time to get the luggage, take a cab to the airport and make my flight.

In this case, smiling and giving them the power to help me out I feel made all the difference.

Archived