Land excursions for Alaska Cruise NOT to be missed???

tonghua

My husband and I will be going on our ONCE-in-a-lifetime Alaska cruise on the Radiance of the Sea, 7-day Northbound Gulf of Alaska from Vancouver, sailing May 27. Would be stopping at Juneau, Skagway, Sitika, Icy Strait Point and Hubbard Glacier.

Since this will be our ONLY Alaska cruise, so would really like to make sure we make the right choice on the land excursions that should not be missed .

Our main interest is to enjoy the scenery, not so much for wild life (whale watching is an exception) or history. We'll be taking the balcony cabin.

We are senior citizens and the non-athletic type.

Also would appreciate your advice on things to pack for the cruise. We are from the tropics with summer all year round.

Many thanks for your advice

tonghua

Hello - we are going to Alaska this June for our 25th anniversary and have scheduled three (3) tours thru HAL - helicopter landing on Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau; White Pass and Yukon Route railway tour in Skagway; and Zip-Line and Wildlife Adventure tour in Ketchican. I know yall are as excited as we are - have a great time!

Frist of all you will love Alaska. Beautiful place and a once in a lifetime cruise. I have been there 3 times and would go back again in a heartbeat. As for excursions. Now this is my opinion but in Juneau, take Capt. Larry's whale watching excursion. It is a private co. not a ship excursion. Ordinarily I do take ship excursions but this one has had so many great reviews on this board so we went with it. You can reach them by www.orcaenterprises.com.

Skagway, the Yukon Railroad trip as previously suggested. Great views.

Hubbard Glacier of course you will not get off but the ships that go there do a 360 degree turn so everyone on the ship can see this beautiful glacier. Outstanding.

Icy Strait Point, have been there only once and we just walked around the old warehouses that now have shops. You can also take a little shuttle or walk 1 mile to the town of Hoonah(pop. 800.) We did and saw all sorts of eagles(alot of them) at the marina.

Have a great, great cruise.

Marilyn

By the way do a search on this Alaska board. Just go back read everthing that pertains to your particular cruise. There is a wealth of info here.

marilyn

Many, many good options for excursions in Alaska. The first step that I would suggest would be to narrow down the list for your interests. You might print out or copy your ship's excursion offerings and eliminate the ones that don't interest you. In addition to suggestions from the boards here, check with this site's Destinations - Alaska section, also your library's (or bookstore's) Alaska guide books like Frommer's and Fodor's for their top suggestions. You also have the option to do independent tours as alternatives to your ship's offerings. You might want to make a short list of all of your excursions of interest and post them back to the board for comment.

Search the boards here for recommended clothing. You will always see the basic advice to bring several layers of clothes instead of heavy coats, etc. Of course, bring gloves, hats, comfortable shoes to walk/hike (even if just a light hike) that you won't mind getting dirty, etc.

Lots of homework to do. :) Have a great trip!

There's a new independant CoOp of charter boats in Juneau called the Professional Mariners' Group. They're offering a tour called the "Wilderness Water Adventure" you might want to take a look at... I hear they're serving a nice lunch in a remote bay or cove on the fancier of the local charter boats. It's billed as a "VIP customized combination" tour, so pretty much whatever your party wants to do on the water (whale watch, sightsee, fish, etc.) is just a request away.

If it departs from downtown, you'd get a great look at the mining history close to town before ending up in the undeveloped wilderness of the Tongass National Forest...

One idea, anyway!

-Case

My husband and I will be going on our ONCE-in-a-lifetime Alaska cruise on the Radiance of the Sea, 7-day Northbound Gulf of Alaska from Vancouver, sailing May 27. Would be stopping at Juneau, Skagway, Sitika, Icy Strait Point and Hubbard Glacier.

Since this will be our ONLY Alaska cruise, so would really like to make sure we make the right choice on the land excursions that should not be missed .

Our main interest is to enjoy the scenery, not so much for wild life (whale watching is an exception) or history. We'll be taking the balcony cabin.

We are senior citizens and the non-athletic type.

Also would appreciate your advice on things to pack for the cruise. We are from the tropics with summer all year round.

Many thanks for your advice

tonghua

We also had a difficult time picking out excursions and from what I hear the White Pass Railroad is not to be missed. We have booked the last one of the day. Have you signed up for the Meet & Mingle? Where in the "tropics" do you live? I'm in Miami Beach. :)

For Sitka, bring your Golden Age pass - it will get you into the Bishop's House and the Totem Pole park at the end of the road for free. Not for free in Sitka, we really liked the nature center where they had eagles (up close and personal). Can't think of the name right now, but hope someone else can.

To wear - layers. Windbreaker that fits over a sweatshirt, a cap that covers your ears to keep them warm and an umbrella so it won't rain (some people in Alaska make fun of me for recommending an umbrella, but it is quite handy IMHO). A cheap plastic poncho from the Dollar Store is also an idea - haven't needed to use it yet, but keep taking it. Nancy

For Sitka, bring your Golden Age pass - it will get you into the Bishop's House and the Totem Pole park at the end of the road for free.

Hi Nancy,

What happens to be the golden age pass? if I might ask.

Thanks in advance

If you are 60 or 62 - forget which - you can get a Golden Age pass from the Feds for access to tourist sites for free (for instance, you can get into Yosemite free). In Sitka we'd probably go to the Bishop's House and Totem Pole Park anyway, as well as the Raptor Center (aha, thought of the name) and Sheldon Jackson Museum, neither of the last two being under Federal ownership. In Ketchikan there is a Forest Service building near the Lumberjack show - something about Southeast Alaska ? ? - big building that takes up a whole block - that is also free with the pass (and a good thing to do on a rainy day anyway). Nancy

My top tour recommendations are flights. So my suggestion is a glacier helicopter landing out of Juneau and a float plane out of Ketchikan. You may also want to consider a Glacier Bay flight out of either Hoonah or Skagway. The White Pass RR is a top scenic trip, loaded with history. But do look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Just way too many excellent tours to consider.

If you are 60 or 62 - forget which - you can get a Golden Age pass from the Feds for access to tourist sites for free (for instance, you can get into Yosemite free). In Sitka we'd probably go to the Bishop's House and Totem Pole Park anyway, as well as the Raptor Center (aha, thought of the name) and Sheldon Jackson Museum, neither of the last two being under Federal ownership. In Ketchikan there is a Forest Service building near the Lumberjack show - something about Southeast Alaska ? ? - big building that takes up a whole block - that is also free with the pass (and a good thing to do on a rainy day anyway). Nancy

Thanks Nancy :)

We opted to take a bus tour into the Yukon and not do the White Pass RR. The bus parallels the train but goes quite a bit further. We went as far as Emerald Lake and made many stops for photos. It was the most magnificent scenery I have ever seen. .

We opted to take a bus tour into the Yukon and not do the White Pass RR. The bus parallels the train but goes quite a bit further. We went as far as Emerald Lake and made many stops for photos. It was the most magnificent scenery I have ever seen. .

For clairfication, the viewing from the road vs the White Pass is NOT THE same. The White Pass is superior. Actually only a small portion is common views.

We also had a difficult time picking out excursions and from what I hear the White Pass Railroad is not to be missed. We have booked the last one of the day. Have you signed up for the Meet & Mingle? Where in the "tropics" do you live? I'm in Miami Beach. :)

Hi! We are from Singapore. One degree north from the equator.

We have not yet looked at the Meet and Mingle issue so not signed up.

For the White Pass Railroad tour, did you book direct from the cruiseline? We are also interested in it with train up and bus down. Not yet booked.

See you on the ship.

tonghua

Yes, we booked ALL the tours through the cruisline. A lot of people book on their own, but I didn't notice saving that much money because then you have to find your own transportation most times and if the tour is late, the ship won't wait for you. Also, I would imagine that the cruiseships will only use tours that have been inspected, etc. Feel safer. ;)

Yes, we booked ALL the tours through the cruisline. A lot of people book on their own, but I didn't notice saving that much money because then you have to find your own transportation most times and if the tour is late, the ship won't wait for you. Also, I would imagine that the cruiseships will only use tours that have been inspected, etc. Feel safer. ;)

For clairfication, the savings isn't all money. Most often the independents run way superior tours, with much more personal attention, sometimes more extensive and longer tours. Most ALL independents supply transportation, so the above is not accurate. Planning is the key for any independent reservations and always go with the vender's recommendation for timing. Having posted on these boards for years, I have NEVER seen a report of anyone missing their ship in Alaska due to independent tours.

I HAVE heard of people missing their ship because they were on a tour on their own and didn't get back on time. So don't be so SURE in your replies. Also, there WAS that incident of a bus crashing on a mountainside and it was a tour that was NOT sold by the cruiseship and HAD NOT BEEN INSPECTED. I would not take my chances. Most people on the boards seem to think that if they book on their own they ARE saving money and that seems to be their main reason. They are always complaining about how expensive the shore excursions are through the cruiseship. I was just pointing out that to save a few dollars was not worth any worries you may have. That's all.:rolleyes:

I too am interested in the White Pass RR, but I am not sure whether to take the train roundtrip or take the train up and the bus back. Will I get better photos with the bus because it will make stops? I would imagine the photos from the train would have a glare from the windows. Perhaps there is a place to take photos on the outside of the train?

I agree with Budget Queen. Good Independent tours are almost always more personal. The cruise ship personnel will try to scare you into using only their tours. The independent tours I have been on have all been very good, very small and personalized. We often see the cruise tours and they are many times with the same company I am. The difference is I am with a group of 12 or less with 3 guides. The cruise ship excursion has 60 people and three guides. I saw these exact numbers on my Belize Cave tubing excursion. The cruise lines get about 40% commission. BTW, we also paid less for our personal tour. Almost always do. Never pay more, always get much more.

Some people just don't want to be bothered with the research. I enjoy it.

My husband and kids really dislike the crowded tours, so they enjoy the fruits of my labor. We only did the cruise ship excursions on our first cruise. We have been on 11 cruises. These boards are a great source of info. You can take advantage of the research some of us enjoy doing

I HAVE heard of people missing their ship because they were on a tour on their own and didn't get back on time. So don't be so SURE in your replies. Also, there WAS that incident of a bus crashing on a mountainside and it was a tour that was NOT sold by the cruiseship and HAD NOT BEEN INSPECTED. I would not take my chances. Most people on the boards seem to think that if they book on their own they ARE saving money and that seems to be their main reason. They are always complaining about how expensive the shore excursions are through the cruiseship. I was just pointing out that to save a few dollars was not worth any worries you may have. That's all.:rolleyes:

This board is in reference to Alaska independent tours, not just general information. Again- I have never heard of anyone missing an ALASKA independent booked tour. There is a big difference in people drinking too much in Cozumel and missing the boat, based totally on their poor planning. All your references are based out of the US, which do not pertain to Alaska.

This information is accurate for touring Alaska and I am "sure of my reply". Excellent venders if you choose to use them. Plenty of excellent ship tour choices as well. Both great choices depending on your booking.

This board is in reference to Alaska independent tours, not just general information. Again- I have never heard of anyone missing an ALASKA independent booked tour. There is a big difference in people drinking too much in Cozumel and missing the boat, based totally on their poor planning. All your references are based out of the US, which do not pertain to Alaska.

This information is accurate for touring Alaska and I am "sure of my reply". Excellent venders if you choose to use them. Plenty of excellent ship tour choices as well. Both great choices depending on your booking.

I wasn't just talking Alaska. Just cruises in general re booking independent compared to through the cruiseship. I didn't mean missing the tour, I meant missing the ship if the tour gets back too late. The ship waits for the tour through them to get back, but has absolutely no idea what independent tours their passengers are on. I only mentioned this for first-time cruisers who seemed worried.:)

Do you have a website link for this group? I'm interested to see what they have to offer but not finding anything.

The PMG isn't on the internet (yet) so no, I can't post a link for them. I'm actually not allowed to post links, etc. here at CC anyway - because I'm related to the PMG and don't want to "advertise" in the forums.

It would be quite safe to plan on a "walk-up" booking at most of the dockside booths when your ship arrives.

-Case

Hello

How do you get a Golden Age pass? Thanks for any help.

Joan Sue

Archived