Land excursions for Alaska Cruise NOT to be missed???

tonghua

Marilyn--I was glad to read your post about the crusie ship turning around at Hubbard Glacier so everyone could see because we booked a cabin on the right side of the ship and someone else posted that only the people on the left hand of the ship got to see the Glacier--it didn't sound right to me anyway...thanks again!

We were just in St. Kitts in the Carribean and booked the much touted Railway tour (100.00 per person) through the crusie line. They even listed this tour as a "highlight" tour. The day of the tour, the Captain announced that the train has a small problem and would be delayed a bit but that it was safe and would be in working order later in the day. They drove us out to the train station and the engine was still being worked on. Shortly after they boarded us all on the train (over 200 cruise passangers), they announced that the train would not be able to run that day. Our entire day in St. Kitts was blown and everyone was quite upset (they did refund our money though). We learned later that the train does not run more than it runs and that the week prior, the train stalled on an extremely high bridge and the passengers had to be be "rescued and driven back to the ship by bus). I don't agree that just because a tour is booked through the cruise line it is safer or more reliable. Of course, it is true that if a tour booked through the cruiseline is late, the ship will have to wait for you...

Marilyn--I was glad to read your post about the crusie ship turning around at Hubbard Glacier so everyone could see because we booked a cabin on the right side of the ship and someone else posted that only the people on the left hand of the ship got to see the Glacier--it didn't sound right to me anyway...thanks again!

Wrong glacier, the port side reference was for Glacier Bay and College Fjords. where port side is definately superior since all the extended views and commentary are on the way in :)

Best spot for Hubbard is at the front of the ship. Even with the turns- the view from the side is only a very small percentage of the time from the top open decks.

Since we don't have a site near us can we pick up the park passes on the spot @ Skagway?

You can buy them online.

But since Skagway doesn't have any fees for their site, I would suggest you call them directly to verify they have passes to sell. https://buy.nationalparks.org/default.asp?ref=nps

You may stand outside between the railcars on a small platform. I took some beautiful shots on my last trip. I liked the return trip as I was able to take photos of things I missed on the way up the mountain. There are also restrooms on each railcar, something that I was worried about!

Thx BQ but I neglected to mention we're interested in the Golden Age Passport [$10 processing fee] or poss. Golden Access Passport [free]. These say have to be present @ one of the Fed. sites to obtain. Of course now I can't remember which areas of the inside passage they may be needed. :( I believe the park rangers guided walks are free anyway.

There are actually several other well known parks (both national and state) on the Inside Passage. We've just found other ways to pay for them. For example, Glacier Bay National Park requires HUGE entry fees to visit, but it's usually paid for by the tour operator - in this case the ship or cruise line.

There are several nice state parks in SouthEast that are paid for by fishing license revenue. When a fishing license vendor (like me) sells a license they're entitled to $1 per license as a commission. Many choose not to keep the $1 and put it back into the Fish and Game facilities development fund. No need to pay to visit those, as you've already purchased a fishing license.

Also, the cities you like to shop in because there's no sales tax are likely to be cities with usage fees for parks, etc. If the city doesn't put up any monies for development, there aren't many dollars to be had from fed. and state since most of that money is "matching" funds.

Aaah the politics of tourism!

-Case

Archived