Driver for day excursion Copenhagen to Jutland

We are traveling with friends on the Regent Voyager out of Copenhagen on July 29. Arriving CPH July 26 and staying at the Marriott. Our friends have distant relatives in Vejle, Jutland (I believe its near Legoland) and he was interested in a day trip. Train fare for four was almost $600 and involved a couple of changes, so I suggested we rent a car. That still appears to be around $300.00, as he is a tall guy and we would need a standard size Volvo or something similar. Would it make more sense to hire a driver for the day? Does anyone have any recommendations as to driver services out of Copenhagen? Many thanks.

We are traveling with friends on the Regent Voyager out of Copenhagen on July 29. Arriving CPH July 26 and staying at the Marriott. Our friends have distant relatives in Vejle, Jutland (I believe its near Legoland) and he was interested in a day trip. Train fare for four was almost $600 and involved a couple of changes, so I suggested we rent a car. That still appears to be around $300.00, as he is a tall guy and we would need a standard size Volvo or something similar. Would it make more sense to hire a driver for the day? Does anyone have any recommendations as to driver services out of Copenhagen? Many thanks.

I am not familiar with any driver services, but if such a service existed, it would cost and consume all that you would have saved by driving a car vs. taking the train, and cost even more. I feel certain this would be extremely in Denmark. Such services as this might be cheap in Mexico, maybe the Caribbean, or other European countries, but definately not in Scandinavia. Driving in Denmark is actually very easy, and I'd urge you to consider driving yourself. I did it last year and found it to be even easier than I had hoped. Denmark is a relatively small country, population only 5 million, you will not find traffic problems there like you might in major US cities. If you get lost, no problem, everyone speaks English and would be glad to help you out. You may not get lost, but leave yourself time just in case.

As for rental, I see that you're staying at the Marriott. I too stayed there, and their concierge helped me with reservations. The car was delivered to the front door of the hotel, and that's where we returned it. That was very convenient. However, I believe the rental cars are stick, not automatic. Also, the biggest plus was that the hotel was able to provide a better rate than I was able to find on my own. The rental was through Hertz, and Hertz delivered the car to the hotel. Here is an email address you can use to contact the hotel's concierge and they can answer your questions, and make a reservation if you wish. mhrs.cphdk.copenhagen@marriott.com

For more information on possible driver services, try going to the Virtualtourist.com fourm board and post this same question there. Forums on virtualtourist.com seem to be responded to by local citizens and maybe they can better help you find a driving service.

Good luck and have fun,

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I will have our friends (who are using Marriott points for our rooms) contact the concierge. Any idea how we would find out ferry schedules from either Kanlundger or Korser, which appear to be the two most direct routes to southern Jutland? Also, any recommended sights, stops along the way?

Thanks, Steve. I will have our friends (who are using Marriott points for our rooms) contact the concierge. Any idea how we would find out ferry schedules from either Kanlundger or Korser, which appear to be the two most direct routes to southern Jutland? Also, any recommended sights, stops along the way?

I have forwarded your question to a Danish friend. We'll wait and see what he has to say/recommend. Until I hear back from my freind, I believe there are now bridges from island to island. Granted, at one time, I had to take a ferry from Sjaeland to Fyn, and there might have been a bridge from Fyn to Justland. I just took a quick look at Google Earth, and there appears to be a bridge from Sjaeland to Fyn. I am not familiar with the cities in Denmark you're wishing to travel to, my area of familarity is Copenhagen and North Sjaeland. Maybe a ferry is quicker to get where you wish to travel to, by passing the bridges. Anyhow, I am sure my Danish friend can send us information.

In terms of recommended sights, in Southern Jutland there is Legoland, but it really is for the smaller children. For adults, I guess it's something to do. On the island of Fyn, there is the city of Odense which is the birthplace of H. C. Anderson. I believe stopping there is worth a visit.

From your postings, I gather you wish to travel to Jutland and back in a day. I suppose this can be done, but even for someone like myself who is the kind of person to "do it all" in a day, I think you would enjoy your visit more if you took your time, making leisure stops when ever you wanted, spending time in Odense, and spending the night in Jutland.

I'll get back to you when I hear from my freind,

Steve

Thanks Steve. We live not far from Legoland in California, and no children with us on this trip, so that will not be one of our stops. I agree that a more leisurely pace would be preferable, but we do want to spend a couple of days in Copenhagen before the ship departs, so this will be a speedy in and out. I hope there are bridges, as then you don't have to wait for the next ferry, so I guess that means time to get a more detailed road map at the Auto Club.

I have received a reply from my Danish friend regarding travel to Jutland. I have cut and past below his reply. Fortunately, there seems to be bridges which you should be able to cross, and would save you considerable time. Considering you'll still have at least 2 days for the Copenhagen area, I think it's great you'll be traveling to Jutland. Even if you have to drive there and return in a day, it's not unlike something I'd do myself. I am always planning to "see and do it all" in a day, and therefore I fully understand your making the trip in a day. I recommend starting early, and stopping in Odense for a quick walk around the city and especially the H.C. Anderson Museum. If your traveling in the summer, say June and July, the sun will be up longer and hopefully leave you some daylight for the trip home. Although driving should be simple, definately have good maps, find as detailed maps as possible. For myself, a Danish friend lent me a map book which had areas maped out in squares. It was very helpful. MapQuest and Mappoint are also very helpful. Also, download google earth if you've not already done so as it provides a great birdseye view. Below is my friend's response.

"This link, even though it is in Danish should provided sufficient information for an overview: http://www.trafikken.dk/wimpdoc.asp?page=document&objno=2268

As will be clear from the map there are now two bridges - one between Sjælland and Fyn and one between Fyn and Jylland. It will be evident that there are no more any ferries from Korsør to Nyborg as there now is a bridge also it is clear that taking a ferry from Kalundborg will take you in the general direction of northern Jylland and not southern Jylland. It is in many ways easier to go from east to west by the bridges - but if one is in for sightseeing and stuff the ferry trip up north is quite pleasant as well - I believe the one from Odden to Ebeltoft is a fast catamaran style ferry. I hope this gives you some kind of an idea of how it now works and that you will be able to find your way via bridges or ferries to go wherever you wants go to in Denmark.

I believe some of the information might also be in English:

http://www.trafikken.dk/wimpdoc.asp?page=document&objno=20853

"

Have fun planning,

Steve

If you look up amazon.com and search under Denmark road maps, you'll find a map book available for sale. Unfortunately, not much information is given about the map book, but thought you might be interested.

Steve

Archived