Tivoli Restaurants

Any recommendations for a fun or interesting restaurant inside Tivoli gardens? What was your favorite dish and do we need reservations?

Thanks.

The two restaurants we dined at last year were Grøften http://www.groeften.dk/engelsk/startframe.htm and the Færgekroen I enjoyed both restaurants very much. I liked both about the same. The Færgekroen is located along the Tivoli lake, er pond. There is both inside and outside seating. If weather is good, I prefer outside dining for better a better view. This is not a large restaurant. I ordered the fish and it was delicious, but do be cautious of the bones. The other restaurant, Grøften, was larger, and I don't remember what I ordered. We had a group of about 7 and everyone seemed to order something different, and everyone enjoyed their meals. I did make a reservation for this restaurant. If you know when you'll be dining, then I think it might be a good idea. I remember that when we arrived and mentioned we had reservations, we were taken in immediately. We dined in the Garden which is what I had requested. I had imagined the garden location was outside dining, and I wanted to look out and watch people move about in Tivoli, so I requested this area. Although the Garden did have a garden type setting, it was actually enclosed with I think a glass ceiling.

Above, I have posted the Grøften website which has an English version. Unfortunately, the Færgekroen doesn't have a website in English, but at least they do have a website with a nice picture of the restaurant, lake view. http://www.faergekroen.com Hope this works, but here is hopefully a website link showing the restaurants of Tivoli http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-4671.htm And, this website, http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-3092.htm if it works, should show a map of Tivoli, and to the column on the left, is a listing of restaurants. Click on the name of the restaurant, and the interactive map should show you where the restaurant is located within Tivoli. If you don't see a a restaurant, just scroll up or down.

Most all the restaurants in Tivoli will or do have inside dining as the Danish weather can be unpredictable.

Good luck and have fun,

Steve

Thank you so much for the restaurant recommendations. The Groeften looks quaint, too bad they don't put their menu on the website. What is the difference between "cold" vs. "warm" kitchen? Is this salads vs. hot entrees? Or indoor vs. outdoor dining?

We are staying at the Copenhagen Marriott Hotel pre-cruise. Did you dine in the Hotel or found any restaurants close by that were tasty or a good value? I read on another post that you paid $24 USD for breakfast at the Hotel - I guess you meant per person and not for two people? Wow, that seems a little steep. I currently have an executive level room booked at the Marriott for about $250 USD per night using a government employee discount. I was going to try and get a standard room using Priceline. But if breakfast is so steep, then maybe my current reservation is not so bad. Our breakfast for 4 (2 adults and 2 small kids) is included, taxes are included, and I guess they have little snacks in the lounge that my kids can munch on in the afternoon or evening.

Thanks for coming back to the Baltics board to help others like myself. Your experience and advice is greatly appreciated. Reading your post last year, we are going to take the train with the kids to the Frederiksborgs Slot.

Cynthia

Thank you so much for the restaurant recommendations. The Groeften looks quaint, too bad they don't put their menu on the website. What is the difference between "cold" vs. "warm" kitchen? Is this salads vs. hot entrees? Or indoor vs. outdoor dining?

We are staying at the Copenhagen Marriott Hotel pre-cruise. Did you dine in the Hotel or found any restaurants close by that were tasty or a good value? I read on another post that you paid $24 USD for breakfast at the Hotel - I guess you meant per person and not for two people? Wow, that seems a little steep. I currently have an executive level room booked at the Marriott for about $250 USD per night using a government employee discount. I was going to try and get a standard room using Priceline. But if breakfast is so steep, then maybe my current reservation is not so bad. Our breakfast for 4 (2 adults and 2 small kids) is included, taxes are included, and I guess they have little snacks in the lounge that my kids can munch on in the afternoon or evening.

Thanks for coming back to the Baltics board to help others like myself. Your experience and advice is greatly appreciated. Reading your post last year, we are going to take the train with the kids to the Frederiksborgs Slot.

Cynthia

That's a good question about the cold vs. hot kitchen. I am sorry, I do not know what that's about. My guess is that it refers to the food items, and not inside vs. outside dining. At the Grøften, there is not outside dining. Although there is a garden area, this area is enclosed. On the restaurant's web site, there is a menu option/link on the left. To see a floor plan, click on Reservation, and click where it reads "Click on the plan and see picture from selected area" Gårdhaven is the word for "The Garden." Click where it reads Gårdhaven, and pictures of the site will come up. Huh, in one of the pictures it look like there is no roof, but I thought for sure there was one. I guess if that's important, you'll have to email them for truly accurate details.

Yes, we did pay $24 each for breakfast. But on another day, we paid less for the continental and simply just selected the cold food items from the buffet. However, I don't recall the lower price, but you can email the hotel and they can tell you the rate. Copenhagen is very expensive, even the Danes admit to that. Other than breakfast, we did not dine in the hotel. We went to Tivoli, and to an outside cafe along Nyhavn harbor. If you do dine for lunch or dinner at the hotel, you'll find extremly high prices. Personally, I'd prefer a kind of Danish hot dog from a street vendor for lunch. But in the evening, it was fun to dine in Tivoli, or along Nyhavn harbor at any of the many outside cafes. Also, I recommend the restaurants of Bof & Ost, and Pedre Oxe, both are side by side, just a bit off Stroget, behind where the store Illums Boligus is located.

I am sure you'll enjoy the beauty of Frederiksberg Slot, it's my favorite and the most beautiful in all of Denmark. Plus, the train ride should be fun for the kids, I always enjoyed it.

Let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Steve

Archived