George Smith Disapperance on 48 hrs mystery Sat. night

BettyBoop3850

The reporter from Vanity Fair had an interesting theory of what happened that night. A chair had been pulled up to the railing on the balcony of their cabin. The reporter's supposition is that George sat on the railing to have a cigar (which he was very fond of), and with the rocking and rolling of the ship and George's drunken stupor, he fell off. People had smelled the odor of a cigar on the balcony.

That theory makes more sense to me than anything else I've heard. George's sister is just looking for publicity and shock value. There doesn't seem to be enough evidence for any police force/legal system to make accusations about "murder".

The Smith family is distraught, as anyone would be, and they're searching for answers. They will cling to anything. I am sad for them, but I don't see where this is RCCL's fault.

I suppose, RCCL has numerous candid cameras, that could show us more, about the activities of the Honeymooners. There are security people on board that we never ever see, or here from. The story is, there may be NO STORY! Mr. Smith may have been puking his guts out, and trying to make sure it went over-board, to the point where he did. He also may have been totally distressed about not finding his Bride in the room upon his return, that he just jumped over. I have yet to see any evidence of a crime. Blood in a room may only mean a drunk fell down and bled. I think anyone who has cruised, have met people nice enough to make sure we get back to our rooms, if we seemed to be unable too. The cruise line may not be at fault at all, as when last call is anounced, someone may order, three doubles, drink them and leave without being drunk yet. Let the media dictate there agenda. As far as the young girl in Aruba goes, she may have just been intoxicated enough to go for a nude swim, by herself, drowned and was gobbled up by the sea. Metrowon

I love to cruise as much as the next guy, but come on!

Royal Caribbean utterly DENIED that the Russian men were ever interviewed, when, in fact, there is a videotape that proved otherwise.

Yes, people fall overboard or jump, but look at the facts:

~George Smith had a lot of money.

~He was partying with other men, and when people drink heavily,

and from what I've heard, they were drinking VERY heavily, people

can become agitated and easily provoked into a fight.

~There WAS blood on a towel in the room, as well as on the bed.

~RC washed away the blood on the overhand the next day...when it

should have been left to be investigated.

The FBI is involved, and they would not be if this were simply an

accident death or suicide.

JXOPF- I think about that little girl alot. It doesn't make sense to me that they couldn't solve her murder.

As for the cigar smoking theory it does seem possible but as for waiting for his wife, being distraught over ther absence and killing himself, I don't THINK so. You are either suicidal or not. If he was that concerned he wouldn't have stayed in his cabin he would continue the search. By her own admission they slept wherever before that night. That is the strangest thing. Even if I had been doing that I surely wouldn't say it on national TV. We have only her word on that though. That part is just plain wierd. Of course, it's a new generation, I guess marriages are going to be different too?

Tristan, My understanding is that RCI did not just wash the blood away without it being investigated. This was the story that the Smith family put out right after George's disappearance. However, RCI has stated that the Turkish police and the FBI both investigated the blood and after that (while passengers were hanging off their balconies taking photos) RCI asked the Turkish police and the FBI if they could wash it off (since they considered it a hazard to the passengers) and they were told they had all the info they needed.

And if there was so much blood in the cabin....why didn't anyone notice it when they brought Jennifer into the cabin...and...why didn't Jennifer notice it when she finally came to the next morning?

So - the FBI ONLY gets involved if they are SURE that it was murder, right?

I guess the FBI can now eliminate its complete investigation unit !!!!

Sorry - I couldn't help it - I fell on the floor laughing at this one.

I love to cruise as much as the next guy, but come on!

Royal Caribbean utterly DENIED that the Russian men were ever interviewed, when, in fact, there is a videotape that proved otherwise.

Yes, people fall overboard or jump, but look at the facts:

~George Smith had a lot of money.

~He was partying with other men, and when people drink heavily,

and from what I've heard, they were drinking VERY heavily, people

can become agitated and easily provoked into a fight.

~There WAS blood on a towel in the room, as well as on the bed.

~RC washed away the blood on the overhand the next day...when it

should have been left to be investigated.

Even if it appears to be an accident or a suicide, the FBI could be involved to be sure there was no foul play involved before a final determination about cause of death is officially rendered.

escapes me. I doubt they are doing the investigators any favors by demanding so much media attention. In fact they may be greatly hindering progress. I can understand they want someone to pay and naturally RCCL would be their target. Besides they have lots of dough and will probably settle to make them stop and go away. My only concern in this case and Merrian Carver is the cruise lines unwillingness to reveal the security tapes. That makes me suspicious I don't know about anyone else. Hopefully, investigators are seeing them but in the Carver's case that is not what the dad is saying. I do not think this is in RCCL's best interest at all.

There is definately going to be a book or movie deal made in the very near future as well so the Smith's may have lost a loved one but they will be monetarily compensated by many. It is a sad story to think of such a young man dying so needlessly.

I am not convinced it was an accident but I sure hope so.

Besides they have lots of dough and will probably settle to make them stop and go away.

It is a sad story to think of such a young man dying so needlessly.

I am not convinced it was an accident but I sure hope so.

Yep...I agree with you, 100%...:)

It is all about making as much publicity as possible

so, R.C.C.L. will just make it "go away.." with

some giant settlement. Wait and, see!

The Smiths will get a bunch of money, for this

irresponsible behaviour, by the parties involved...

R.C.C.L., and, you and I, and all the rest of the

cruisers WILL PAY for it in the

cost of future cruises....:(

The problem with the cruiseline agreeing to settle would be the precedent that it would set. I think that they should make this go to court and fight it all the way. From a PR standpoint that would do some damage but if they settle on this then everyone with a gripe is going to be threatening lawsuit.

You already have groudless suits being filed for things that outside of the cruiselines control. Yes the bus accident with the Celebrity passengers is tragic but going after the cruiseline is nuts. The cruiseline (airline, elevator manufacturer, theme park etc) can't protect us against things outside their control or our own stupidity.

Archived