kids and seasickness

WineDown17

My son is 8, and has never gotten seasick on our boat, but just realized maybe he might on our cruise- Clearly a different kind of vessel!!

Are kids more/less susceptible to seasickness than adults, and if they do get seasick, what do folks recommend? Is there bonine/dramamine for kids??

Thanks!

My son is 8, and has never gotten seasick on our boat, but just realized maybe he might on our cruise- Clearly a different kind of vessel!!

Are kids more/less susceptible to seasickness than adults, and if they do get seasick, what do folks recommend? Is there bonine/dramamine for kids??

Thanks!

I have read on here many times that parents who do not wish to give their children medication, feed them ginger snap cookies to eat. They say it works.

I have read an adult uses ginger capsules from the vitamin/health food stores.

Thanks. I like the idea of avoiding medication if possible- I am not even mentioning the idea to him- sometimes the power of suggestion is all it takes!

We are also going on Navigator- 7 days and counting!! Can not wait!!

My daughter is one who gets car sick very easy. To make a story short....she was the one who NEVER got sick while we cruise as where I was the one sicker then a dog from the motion. Kids seem to have something in them that keeps them from getting sick easy. Maybe its all the things they are doing that keeps them from thinking about where they are and how the ship moves.

I have to repeat what was said earlier--I have never seen a child become seasick on a cruise ship.

My daughter's pediatrician said it has something to do with being children, hormones, inner ear, and being rocked as a baby. He said seasickness only comes over adults. However, he said that motion sickness-from cars, amuzement rides, and airplanes--is possible in children. He explained that boat motion--pitching or rolling--is different that spinning or turning in another type of vehicle.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to give a child Dramamine.

I get seasick myself and I take Dramamine in a half dose (12.5 mg instead of the 25 mg) and by the 3rd day I have gotten my sealegs and I no longer have to take medication. BTW, Dramamine is Benadyl--same thing.

PS We just got back form the Explorer--huge ship like the Nav--and you can't feel a thing. Promise!

I think your pediatrican is full of crap. Sorry, but this in NOT TRUE. My daughter always got sea sick. She did NOT get car sick, or sick on amusement rides.

We recently returned from our first family cruise. I was quite worried about sea-sickness - especially with my Autistic 6 year old (who suffers from vestibular issues). I brought children's dramamine, ginger ale and ginger snap cookies. We never needed any of it! I was amazed at how well the kids did. One night, when we were moving at quite a clip because of a late departure from one of the ports, the kids did notice and mention the movement but neither was bothered by it in the slightest. And on our final night, I was up for hours as we passed through a front on our way back to Florida. We rolled back and forth from 2-3 AM until the sun rose. Despite the rocking and the creaking, everyone else slept soundly right through it!

YMMV, obviously - all kids/people are different. I was pleasantly surprised to find mine to be quite resilient, though.

As you may have learned by now, there is a variety of Dramamine made that is specifically for children. I bought bonine but wouldn't have given it to the kids as I forgot to check with their pediatrician regarding dosage amounts before we left.

I think your pediatrican is full of crap. Sorry, but this in NOT TRUE. My daughter always got sea sick. She did NOT get car sick, or sick on amusement rides.

wow that was harsh....

every child is different ..the OP you attacked was giving an opinion....

:o

Sorry you thought it was harsh. It was not meant as an attack.

I did not read the post as an opinion but a fact. The information that was posted is outright wrong. It would be terrible for someone uninformed to think kids do not get sea sick because someone's doctor said kids do not get sea sick or someone never saw a child get sick.

The post stated

He said seasickness only comes over adults.
Sorry but this is outright wrong.

I agree each child is different and not all kids get sick, just like an adult not all get sea sick.

Children can and do get seasick...When we first started cruising our then five year old was on the top bed above us...In the middle of the night, she got sick! Guess where it landed? ew....She has cruised several times since, and she asks for dramamine if she feels funny...She knows the feeling now....cheers:eek:

Archived