Sorry - Another NYC Question!

High C's

At the end of April we will be travelling to NYC for a very quick visit for the first time to NYC. This is a family visit - all 4 of us. My daughter (age 20) wants to shop on 5th, and my son & husband want to hit the highlights (ie Ground Zero, Empire State, Rockerfeller Centre). SO, I plan on utilizing the "hop on/off" bus tours to take us around, concentrating on the lower areas one day, then mid-Manhatten/5th Ave the second.

My question: what are the hours that the stores are open? Are they open on Friday evenings? We will be arriving around dinner hour on Friday night, and leaving early Monday morning. I assume everything will be open on Sunday? If anyone could provide me with the hours the stores open/close, I would most appreciate it. We'll only have time to hit the high points along 5th, plus a trip to Macy's. Our most important stores (I'm told by DH) are H&M, Sephora, Abercrombie and Macy's.

Thanks!

Hi, well I know that most stores open at 10 am. Macy's has a website you can check for the NYC store www.macys.com

so does www.sephora.com

I would say check the websites of the stores, Macy's I think stays open till 9pm on fridays where Saks closes at 7pm on fridays.

There is more than one Sephora store in NYC, one on 5th Ave in the 40's, one in the times square area and one in Soho that I remember from my last visit, and each may have different hours so I would say check the websites from the stores on your list if possible to get the hours. Also, from what I remember, I wanted something and the Sephora on 5th didn't have it (didn't carry it at that store) and had to go to the times square one to get it. I would check to be sure unless you are just browseing and not going for very specific items.

Jane will probably be more help than I am as I no longer live there.

Some boutiques may close at 6 while the larger ones open till 7 and maybe even later and in Soho they may open later and stay open longer which has been my experience that some stores downthere open at 10:30 or even 11am but stay open till 8. It's not uniform like here in Canada where I am, where most all open and close at the same time.

Have a healthy happy safe trip.

Thanks Mrs. Moose. I am in Canada also (near Toronto). I figured the hours would not be as set in stone as what we are used to.

Web pages are a great idea - I will check them out.

Yes, and remember that if you are shopping in the lower east side, a lot of the stores are orthodox jewish and closed on saturday and early fridays.

Also if by some chance your hubby and son want photography equipment I would highly recommend www.bhphotovideo.com

But absoultely check their website for hours. They are very orthodox jewish and close for every jewish holiday early on fridays depending on the time of year and saturdays. They are the best for that kind of stuff on 33rd and 8th or 9th (check for exact address)ave I think. It's a huge store, almost like a Costco. with great prices and they are not far from Macy's which is on 34th Street and 6th & 7th Aves if I remember.

Have a great time, NYC is amazing (I was born and raised there).

Thanks again. I have been enjoying the threads over the past couple of weeks about shopping in NYC, and the info you and Jane have provided have helped me immensely! But I'm afraid as this is our first visit, this will be a very "touristy" trip (and much too short), combining both the sight-seeing stuff with shopping. We all realize we won't see everything this trip, but we figured 2 days is better than none at all!

I'm also scouting out for my mother and her sister, who will be in NYC for one night in June, pre-Crown Princess cruise. She is in her late 70's, so she's only interested in shopping and a Broadway show. They will be staying at the Sheraton Manhatten (the hotel used by Princess), so they too are very excited!

Again, thank you for all of your input. It is very much appreciated.

High C's,

It looks like you've got most of your questions covered, so not much to add, though I'd be happy to give you any more imput that you'd like.

For shopping. If you're going to go down to Ground Zero, you should go to the store Century 21 for shopping. It's right across the street. It's an amazing survivor of the terrorist attacks. It's a big discount store. LIke any discount store, it can be hit or miss, however, they do have true bargains. They carry both men's and women's clothing and housewares.

In your hotel there are usually some free NYC guides and in them are coupons for Macy's and Century 21. Sometimes for a discount or sometimes for a free tote bag. So take a look.

I'd be happy to make some restaurant suggestions for you if you'd like. Just let me know of any dietary, budget restrictions and/or any desires in terms of cuisine, ambiance, neighborhood, etc.

Jane

Archived