Is it possible to just take a taxi from the ship to Acropolis?

I have read that taxi's are really bad in Athens. I have thought about hiring a driver, but I really don't want a full day tour. I am only intersested in going to the Acropolis and then the market. We have two 4 year olds, so I think that is all they will be able to handle. Has anyone just taken a taxi? How much was it. The private drive has quoted me $230 euro for a whole day. Thanks. :)

Getting a taxi to the Acropolis is very easy to do. When we disembarked the ship last Sept., there were many taxis parked and waiting right at the dock. They will give you a price but you can bargain a bit. Since there were so many available, we did. I'm thinking it was about $20 for the 2 of us (can't remember exactly in euros what it was.) It was a very short drive and the driver let us off right where we needed to purchase tickets.

However, the entire way from ship to Acropolis the driver kept trying to talk us into an all day tour. As we really had our own plans we just kept politely saying no.

I have taken a taxi and for us, it wasn't a great experience. Of course, it is the luck of the draw whether you get a terrible one or a great one!

We were watching the National Geographic Channel a few days ago and it was about the building of the train line from the port to the Acropolis for the Olympics! It appears to be an adventure and destination in itself to take the train!!! The terminals are just beautiful and loaded with artifacts from the digs as they went. It looked like one of our best museums at each stop!!!! I think the kids would actually really get excited about the train! Perhaps you could take it one way and take a cab back if it isn't as easy as it seems? I had read about this new train somewhere on the boards and my husband and son didn't believe that it was as unique as I described until he saw the show. I'm going to search for a link to it and post it for you if I find it!

This article seems to be from several years ago, but describes what was completed for the the Olympics....

Athens’s “Metro Museum”

Efforts to create a subway system in crowded metropolitan Athens (population 3,072,900) were launched eight years ago but delayed in part because workers encountered buried treasure—a subterranean trove of ancient artifacts and artworks. Amid urban progression and cultural preservation, Attiko Metro (the Athens subway authority) board members searched for a way to complete their project while still protecting their archaeological discovery. They devised a unique solution that incorporates ancient art into the subway’s modern design. With this, the city’s “metro museum” was born.

The discovery of ancient artifacts and artworks similar to this duck-shaped, rock crystal bowl spurred an excavation of 70,000 square meters (83,720 square yards) shortly after construction began on the Athens subway system.

Photograph by S.A. Athenon Ekdotike

Conceived as an urban transport system and a visible timeline, the metro presents a fascinating and in-depth view of Greek history that dates back to the fifth century B.C. Archaeological relics of ancient roads, shops, baths, and water systems—unearthed in excavations of more than 70,000 square meters (83,720 square yards)—are being craftily incorporated into metro stations’ first two levels. “The artwork provides character,” says Fady Bassily, general project manager for the metro. “And the metro system plays a significant role in improving the quality of life for the Greek people.”

“Eventually we plan to implement the art in every station,” says Rose Lagoudakou, an Attiko board member and civil engineer who chaired a committee for the aesthetic upgrading of the system. Currently three stations contain installations. Fourteen of the 21 stations outlined in the first phase of development have been in use since January 28, 2000. Depending on funding, the metro could eventually reach 100 kilometers (161 miles) with 92 stations.

Best of all, visitors don’t even need to purchase tickets to explore the metro museum, says architect George Ieromnimon. A significant portion of the entryway exhibits, which also include artwork from modern Greek artists, are set up in front of ticket validators to encourage further exploration. “It’s not only a huge tourist attraction,” Bassily remarks, “it’s a national pride.”

There are several taxi drivers from Greece that people on the board have used..I suggest to email one of them and negotiate a price..for as long as you want to be gone..they are JUST taxi drivers not guides so keep that in mind!

Jan

Thank you for all of you answers. My main goal is to beat the tour buses to the Acropolis. Maybe we will take the metro back to the ship, it does sound nice. I read previously that it is a 1/2 hour walk to the train station.

Thanks, Heather

Heather, the walk from the subway to the cruise port is probably 20-30 minutes depending on the heat, although with a pair of 4 year-olds, who knows. If they are full of energy by then (doubtful), they would probably enjoy the walk, since there are lots of boats to look at. Otherwise, just get a cab from the subway to the ship.

You are brave taking your kids, but one thing is in your favour--the Greeks love children, and you will no doubt be treated well.

I haven't forgotten! She is going to look up the info for me but they're at a car show today. She said their guide was this amazingly charming, handsome, sweet Frenchman and it was their favorite day of their whole cruise. Aix en Provence, shopping the little markets, lunch at a fantastic restaurant and beautiful views and scents. He met them at the ship.

More to come!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived