Shore Ex Question, Aug 30 from Rome

Live4cruises

First my question: Have any of you been able to find out when HAL's complete list of shore excursions will be available on the late summer Mediterranean departures?

Thanks, you guys know everything!

Now my rant!

HAL's website has some shore excursions posted in the "purchase" section for our departure, but definitely not all of them.

My specific e-mailed question to them: We were wondering when more shore excursions would be posted for the departure - specifically Florence sightseeing and/or transportation, and also whether the Cocktails and Chamber Music excursion would be available in Kusadasi on this departure. Was greeted with this less than helpful response 4 days later: There are now numerous shore excursion options available to book on the website. I responded with a snippy "does anybody READ these?" No answer to that one yet.

No wonder they're swamped, they have to do too many things twice!

I just tried calling them, the message says they have an unusually high call volume (go figure), to leave a message and they'd get back with me in 2-3 business days.

First my question: Have any of you been able to find out when HAL's complete list of shore excursions will be available on the late summer Mediterranean departures?

Thanks, you guys know everything!

Now my rant!

HAL's website has some shore excursions posted in the "purchase" section for our departure, but definitely not all of them.

My specific e-mailed question to them: We were wondering when more shore excursions would be posted for the departure - specifically Florence sightseeing and/or transportation, and also whether the Cocktails and Chamber Music excursion would be available in Kusadasi on this departure. Was greeted with this less than helpful response 4 days later: There are now numerous shore excursion options available to book on the website. I responded with a snippy "does anybody READ these?" No answer to that one yet.

No wonder they're swamped, they have to do too many things twice!

I just tried calling them, the message says they have an unusually high call volume (go figure), to leave a message and they'd get back with me in 2-3 business days.

We're on Prinsendam on a 31 JUL 06 cruise. It has seven ports 'o call where shore excursions are offered. Checking on HAL's website, at this time, they have only "opened up" four of those seven for advanced purchase. I'm thinking the remaining three will be opened eventually as the cruise gets closer. I would keep checking back maybe once a week or once every two weeks if I were you until your remaining stops open up! If you don't get any clear answers from their web people, I would call them and ask to speak to a supervisor. Have a great time in Europe!

You might consider that the cruise line has to negotiate a number of variables with the tour agencies. Excursions open up as times, routes, rates, transportation, etc are firmed up. I doubt that they are intentionally trying to frustrate you by not offering a full market basket immediately. Every sailing is presented with different circumstances. It's unrealistic to expect all the tour agencies to be able to respond four, five months ahead.

Try looking at the tour's that are open early as an opportunity.

Vacations are supposed to be fun. Planning and anticipation is part of that fun. Enjoy!

We'll be on the cruise with you leaving from Rome on August 30. I haven't even started looking at shore excursions yet. The Eastern Mediterranean tourist season is just getting undeway, so I'm not too surprised that the full lineup of tours is not available yet. The other problem is that the Prinsendam is a one time itenerary as opposed to the Noordam, which will do several identical sailings in the Med, and starting earlier than Prinsendam.They are probably still working on some of Noordam's excursions, but should be able to devote some time to the ones for our cruise shortly.

On last year's world cruise, there were changes being made in the excursions offered even after we were onboard. Some were added, some were cancelled. I expect that could happen on just about any one time itenerary.

I'm an enthusiastic planner. My aggravation was not necessarily that the excursions weren't all listed, it was the apparent lack of actually reading my question to give an accurate answer. The answer I expected was more in the vein of "our expectation is to have additional offerings around this date". I obviously did know there were several excursions showing. Somewhere deep in these boards, I thought I had read another thread of someone talking about the same sort of situation. I thought perhaps someone had actually been able to communicate with HAL to get the answer.

I love cruises - or I wouldn't do them as often as possible!

Archived