Xpedition-Galapagos - Any good books to read before I go?

CSloan

I just purchased "Lonely Planet" Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands (Good book so far) :D

Thanks! I found that one online at Barnes & Noble. Glad to hear you like it (so far)! It looks like there is a new edition coming out August 1, 2006. Since I don't go until November, I'll definitely get that one August 1st.

I also found a few more online that sound interesting, but I haven't bought them yet. I was hoping to get some feedback first........

Galapagos Wildlife: A Visitor's Guide

[/url]David Horwell, Pete Oxford

An excellent geological, climatic, and historical introduction to the islands is followed by coverage of the islands' unique plants, invertebrates, reptiles, birds, mammals, and seashore and underwater creatures and where they may be seen. Written and photographed by licensed Galpagos tour guides. Includes some 120 fine color photos. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)

Galapagos Islands: The Essential Handbook for Exploring, Enjoying and Understanding Darwin's Enchanted Islands, 2nd Edition

Marylee Stephenson

A dedicated amateur naturalist presents an updated guide to visiting Ecuador's Galapagos Islands. Covers the plants, birds, mammals, reptiles, and underwater creatures; major islands and visitor sites; and travel tips, from planning a visit to what to bring. Illustrations are all new to this edition, including eight pages of color, and variable b&w, photos. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)

Watching Wildlife: Galapagos Islands (Lonely Planet Travel Series)

David Andrew

Ever dream you'd trip over a tortoise or blunder into a booby? This innovative guide will help you to identify and understand the Galapagos Islands' uniquely tame wildlife.

Cathy, I'm going in November too - the 5th. I bought and have already read completely; Galapagos Wildlife by David Horwell and Pete Oxford, published by Bradt. They give an overview of plants, animals and even insects found in the Galapagos and a description of each visitos site. It's compact and softbound with good color photos. I found it at Barnes & Nobles. I think it was a good purchase. Just the right amount of information for me.

I'm going to start reading Voyage of the Beagle soon.

CSloan, My wife and I were on the Nov. 13, 2005 Xpedition cruise. I bought 3 books. They were

Lonely Planet's "Ecuador & the Galapagos Islands". Most of the book is on Ecuador, but it's a pretty good book. If you're just interested in a book on the Galapagos, I would rate this one third on my list.

Barry Boyce's "A Traveler's Guide to the Galapagos Islands", Fourth Edition. It's a decent book with sections on wildlife, choosing a tour (you don't need that!), preparing to go (with packing list), and a section (but not that large) on the islands themselves. I'd rate this one second on my list.

Pierre Constant's "Galapagos - A Natural History Guide", Sixth Edition. This one spends a lot of the book on the wildlife. It has a lot of very nice color photos, some "pencil drawings" of wildlife including sealife. It also has some "pencil drawings" (actually quite accurate) of the islands. Some of these you won't find anywhere else... for instance there's a very accurate drawing of the Baltra airport building as well as a map going from the airport to where you board the zodiac to get on the Xpedition. This is the book I used the most while in the Galapagos, so I'll rate it first. But, I used Barry Boyce's book more for preparing for my trip.

Note: I usually purchase books like this from amazon.com because of the discounts (and usually with over a $25 purchase) the shipping is free.

Dave

:) :) :)

Just back from the March 26-April 2 sailing--WOW! The guide books you have been recommended already are good, but for a terrific "read" if you are interested in evolution, be sure to get the Pulitzer Prize-winning book, The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time, by Jonathan Weiner. From the Xpedition's library, we borrowed a nice field guide to marine life of the Galapagos to help us identify our underwater sightings.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. As usual, great advice on the board!

Time to go shopping for books.

Tellurian - will you be posting a review and/or pictures of your trip? I'd love to hear about it.

Jim, When we were there in November, the temps in Quito were in the mid to low 50's in the evening... not bad as there was low humidity and little to no breeze. The days were mid 60's... very comfortable.

Dave

The 30 lb limit was widely ignored. But, to be honest, if you're way over the 30 lbs. you may be packed wrong.

If you're doing the standard Celebrity trip, you can leave a bag or two in Quito while you're in the GPS.

Frank

Keksie,

I think my carry-on weighed over 20 lbs.... (I think the limit was supposed to be 14 lbs) and oh, by the way... they didn't check how many carry-ons you had either. I had a fanny pack (pretty large one) that zipped to my carry-on. I was going to zip them together to get down to "one", but we got to and through Security so fast, then poof... we were in the waiting area. Nobody said anything about me having 2... no problems....

My checked bag probably weighed closer to 40 lbs, but nothing was ever said. You leave your checked luggage outside your door at the JW Marriott, then the next time you see it is outside your cabin. The bottom line is that the weight limit is not strictly enforced, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Dave

Archived