Pride scooter owners- please help?

your1mom

I visited the Only store in my county that has scooters on display. They have Pride Rally & Pride Varsity. I read some very good reviews online about a Pride Sundancer. If you have experience with any of these please let me know.

I visited the Only store in my county that has scooters on display. They have Pride Rally & Pride Varsity. I read some very good reviews online about a Pride Sundancer. If you have experience with any of these please let me know.

I have a Sundancer and travel with it. It is a large, heavy scooter, very comfortable and not easy to tip, although I have succeeded in doing that. I have found it best for vacations where you fly somewhere and then spend time being a tourist there...like Disneyworld. I have taken it on four cruises (mostly Caribbean and Panama Canal) and find it holds up under cobblestone streets pretty well, although, I did get it with solid tires, making it ride more like a buckboard than a Cadillac. It is not as well made as my old Bruno Cub and, depending on your disability, you may find its "break apart" feature to be nearly impossible to accomplish. It must be charged frequently and is not very forgiving if you should hit a sandy patch as the sand is quickly drawn into the wheel mechanism leading to sudden breakdown. You might find that in traveling with a scooter this size there will be fewer "helping hands" to get you up steps or over barricades, or into taxi vans without lifts because the beast is so heavy...On the other hand, its weight enables you to ram through just about any movable obstructions if you have to...

I have a Sundancer and travel with it. It is a large, heavy scooter, very comfortable and not easy to tip, although I have succeeded in doing that. I have found it best for vacations where you fly somewhere and then spend time being a tourist there...like Disneyworld. I have taken it on four cruises (mostly Caribbean and Panama Canal) and find it holds up under cobblestone streets pretty well, although, I did get it with solid tires, making it ride more like a buckboard than a Cadillac. It is not as well made as my old Bruno Cub and, depending on your disability, you may find its "break apart" feature to be nearly impossible to accomplish. It must be charged frequently and is not very forgiving if you should hit a sandy patch as the sand is quickly drawn into the wheel mechanism leading to sudden breakdown. You might find that in traveling with a scooter this size there will be fewer "helping hands" to get you up steps or over barricades, or into taxi vans without lifts because the beast is so heavy...On the other hand, its weight enables you to ram through just about any movable obstructions if you have to...

Re: the tires I have a severe spinal problem & don't want to be bouncing around in my seat wherever I go. Re: sudden breakdown from "sandy patch" there are small patches of fine dirt even on sidewalks- I hope this won't be a problem.

I want one "everyday scooter" to use 3-5 times a week for short trips: on sidewalks around town, in & out of stores (some up hilly streets), & to outdoor concerts on grass with pebbled paths. I'd use it with a lift in my minivan.

I also was thinking about an Easy Light Deluxe folding one-piece scooter for travel so I wouldn't have a problem with taxis, friends' cars, buses, etc. even though I'd have to rely on others to load it due to my 10 lb. limit.

3 questions, Lynda:

1) would you recommend the Sundancer as the "everyday scooter"?

2) were you "buckboarding" just on cobblestones or on flat surfaces too with your foam filled tires?

3) how often & for how long did you have to charge it (sounds like your Sundancer's range is much less than the 20-25 miles they advertise, which is longer than most I've read about)?

I purchased a Pride Sundancer aobut 6 months ago, and I love it. I am an above the knee amputee that is tall (almost 5'10") It was the only 3 wheel-scooter that was comfortable for me with my long legs. My scooter holds a charge very well, although I have not measured the mileage, I have used it all day with no problem. I do not take it on cruises, preferring to rent a scooter from CareVacations.com. I just do not trust the airlines to handle it with care... I do take my manual w/c (which I need when my prosthesis is off). As Sologrip has said it is a heavy very stable scooter, I have used it on sidewalk, gravel and grass and have gone up inclines with no problem. I do not think I would try sand or take it in the rain/snow (both of these conditions are discouraged by my dealer) I also have a Bruno lift in my minivan and it works well.

Good luck finding your scooter

Re: the tires I have a severe spinal problem & don't want to be bouncing around in my seat wherever I go. Re: sudden breakdown from "sandy patch" there are small patches of fine dirt even on sidewalks- I hope this won't be a problem.

I want one "everyday scooter" to use 3-5 times a week for short trips: on sidewalks around town, in & out of stores (some up hilly streets), & to outdoor concerts on grass with pebbled paths. I'd use it with a lift in my minivan.

I also was thinking about an Easy Light Deluxe folding one-piece scooter for travel so I wouldn't have a problem with taxis, friends' cars, buses, etc. even though I'd have to rely on others to load it due to my 10 lb. limit.

3 questions, Lynda:

1) would you recommend the Sundancer as the "everyday scooter"?

2) were you "buckboarding" just on cobblestones or on flat surfaces too with your foam filled tires?

3) how often & for how long did you have to charge it (sounds like your Sundancer's range is much less than the 20-25 miles they advertise, which is longer than most I've read about)?

I would recommend a Sundancer to a city/outdoor or just indoor user for everyday use.

The solid tires are a harsh ride at all times (well, except on grass or completely flat surfaces, maybe). I got the solid tires because the Cub's tires kept getting flats...rural conditions...

The range on a charge really depends on the terrain you're traveling on. I ride my beast all over Disneyworld over hill and dale all day long but must stop and charge for an hour at lunch. Then at the end of the day I charge it all night. If I skip a night charge, I'm in trouble the next day...

The reference to sand is about a little surprise I got when traveling across a central Florida parking lot and ran into a sand-filled pothole disguised as asphault...very bad. I got no more than a block more before grinding to a complete stop.

The airlines have not been kind to my scooter but I make them pay for the damage as well as the rental cost of a loaner. I always pack the address and phone number of a scooter dealer at my destination just in case. If I find my scooter damaged I give the contact info to the airlines and have them deal with it. They have twice had to arrange for and pay for repairs. Once they delivered my scooter to me disassembled after leaving me stranded in a wheelchair for 2 hours at the gate where I got off the plane...

For your uses I'd say the Sundancer might do but I am not at all impressed with the quality of its construction... I also load it with a Bruno hoist. I finally found a non-van vehicle that met my space and mileage criteria (a Scion) and now can finally get around town and take my scooter, too...Ahhh, freedom!

I purchased a Pride Sundancer aobut 6 months ago, and I love it. I am an above the knee amputee that is tall (almost 5'10") It was the only 3 wheel-scooter that was comfortable for me with my long legs. My scooter holds a charge very well, although I have not measured the mileage, I have used it all day with no problem. I do not take it on cruises, preferring to rent a scooter from CareVacations.com. I just do not trust the airlines to handle it with care... I do take my manual w/c (which I need when my prosthesis is off). As Sologrip has said it is a heavy very stable scooter, I have used it on sidewalk, gravel and grass and have gone up inclines with no problem. I do not think I would try sand or take it in the rain/snow (both of these conditions are discouraged by my dealer) I also have a Bruno lift in my minivan and it works well.

Good luck finding your scooter

Have you ever tried using one of those buses that have a loading platform on the side for wheelchair users? I want to be able to use a scooter on these buses but i've Googled ad nauseam & am still unable to learn the dimensions of the lift platform.

re: rain/snow

There's always the chance that we could get caught in the rain but I guess then the scooter would have to be dried off to keep it from rusting- yes?

I would recommend a Sundancer to a city/outdoor or just indoor user for everyday use.

The solid tires are a harsh ride at all times (well, except on grass or completely flat surfaces, maybe). I got the solid tires because the Cub's tires kept getting flats...rural conditions...

The range on a charge really depends on the terrain you're traveling on. I ride my beast all over Disneyworld over hill and dale all day long but must stop and charge for an hour at lunch. Then at the end of the day I charge it all night. If I skip a night charge, I'm in trouble the next day...

The reference to sand is about a little surprise I got when traveling across a central Florida parking lot and ran into a sand-filled pothole disguised as asphault...very bad. I got no more than a block more before grinding to a complete stop.

The airlines have not been kind to my scooter but I make them pay for the damage as well as the rental cost of a loaner. I always pack the address and phone number of a scooter dealer at my destination just in case. If I find my scooter damaged I give the contact info to the airlines and have them deal with it. They have twice had to arrange for and pay for repairs. Once they delivered my scooter to me disassembled after leaving me stranded in a wheelchair for 2 hours at the gate where I got off the plane...

For your uses I'd say the Sundancer might do but I am not at all impressed with the quality of its construction... I also load it with a Bruno hoist. I finally found a non-van vehicle that met my space and mileage criteria (a Scion) and now can finally get around town and take my scooter, too...Ahhh, freedom!

Freedom indeed- I look forward to it!

Thanks for the tip about finding out ahead of time the name & address of a scooter dealer at your destination- I wouldn't have thought of that.

re: charging

It sounds like it doesn't go all that far if you need to stop to charge it 1 hour at lunchtime, & again at night. My concern would be that either I wouldn't be able to stop mid-day, or that there might not be a place to charge it where I did stop.

re: grinding to a complete stop

What do you have to do if that happens?

That's great that you're able to use the lift & scooter in the Scion. I'd have bought one instead of the Toyota Sienna if I'd have known earlier. That's the advantage of using these boards!

• 2 weeks later...
Freedom indeed- I look forward to it!

Thanks for the tip about finding out ahead of time the name & address of a scooter dealer at your destination- I wouldn't have thought of that.

It sounds like it doesn't go all that far if you need to stop to charge it 1 hour at lunchtime, & again at night. My concern would be that either I wouldn't be able to stop mid-day, or that there might not be a place to charge it where I did stop.

re: grinding to a complete stop

What do you have to do if that happens?

That's great that you're able to use the lift & scooter in the Scion. I'd have bought one instead of the Toyota Sienna if I'd have known earlier. That's the advantage of using these boards!

Luckily, or not...(much construction and many potholes), I was staying in an Orlando condo complex and, although not near any public buildings, about five minutes after I halted a security guard rolled by and summoned a landscaping runabout with a flat bed area in the back. The guys hauled the scooter up and off we went to my condo where I called a local rental place I had done business with previously...after the airlines broke the scooter (Care Medical). They swapped my broken scooter for one of their rentals and repaired mine. I later swapped theirs for mine at a Disney resort I had transferred to in the meantime...

Yep, I do love my little Scion, the "refrigerator on wheels"...the ugliest car in the U.S.!

I'm not sure what the problem is. I used to get much better "mileage" when the scooter was newer but, although the batteries have been replaced once, I just have to be real careful to charge up at noon if I'm planning to be out all day. Actually, finding an outlet to gas up at for half an hour isn't too difficult. Just carry around a good book so you won't die of boredom....

I'm not sure what the problem is. I used to get much better "mileage" when the scooter was newer but, although the batteries have been replaced once, I just have to be real careful to charge up at noon if I'm planning to be out all day. Actually, finding an outlet to gas up at for half an hour isn't too difficult. Just carry around a good book so you won't die of boredom....

So, Lynda, all in all you like your Sundancer? Is there any another scooter you wish you'd bought instead? I guess the recharging in the midst of day rather than just at night makes me a bit nervous, especially as I'm hoping some day to take it abroad & might be able to recharge only when I return from a day out.

Does your Sundancer have the rising seat function? I wonder how far up it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have adequate balance, I would recommend one of the small travel scooters--Shoprider Scootie, Scootie Jr, Xtra Light, for example.

These wonderful, light scooters take you to airplane door and then are "gate checked", back at destination to take you off the plane.

They fit in airport shuttles, sightseeing excursion buses, vans, cruise ship halls, etc. If you don't need a disabled room you don't have to get one to have a small scooter. It is way way cheaper to buy them now--online with free shipping $500-$800.

Get one with battery pack that is removable--easier to charge, reduces weight.

Do not get a small one that weighs more than 75lbs. They all use the same motors and it is silly to get a heavier scooter to drag on the motor.

Just put travel scooter in search.

If you have adequate balance, I would recommend one of the small travel scooters--Shoprider Scootie, Scootie Jr, Xtra Light, for example.

These wonderful, light scooters take you to airplane door and then are "gate checked", back at destination to take you off the plane.

They fit in airport shuttles, sightseeing excursion buses, vans, cruise ship halls, etc. If you don't need a disabled room you don't have to get one to have a small scooter.

All scooters can be gate checked.

All scooters fit in accessible airport shuttles or other accessible vehicles and all scooters will fit in cruise ship halls, etc. What the small travel scooters will not do is hold up well under the rigors of cobblestone streets or hilly terrain...

All scooters can be gate checked.

All scooters fit in accessible airport shuttles or other accessible vehicles and all scooters will fit in cruise ship halls, etc. What the small travel scooters will not do is hold up well under the rigors of cobblestone streets or hilly terrain...

hi, lynda:

it looks like i'd need both a small travel scooter And a heavier one if i were going abroad. the hotel i wanted to stay at in paris, for instance, is at the top of a cobblestone street which would be difficult for a travel scooter to negotiate without significantly wearing down the battery.

• 1 month later...

Sologrip ...I purchased a Scootie shortly before my Baltic cruise. It certainly got a workout on the cobblestones in Tallin and St Petersburg and although very rough, it handled the job nicely. It also handled steep grades up to the rock church in Helsinki and Dover Castle in Dover. I charged the scooter only at night, but I evaluated it's capacity before the trip. I figured it will operate for a solid 4-4.5 hours of steady driving between charges or about 10 miles. Body weight, hills, terrain, speed of driving. age of battery all affect mileage. I have found 4 hours of steady driving is very adequate for all day tours as much of the time is spent in a bus or taxi ... and the best part is that taxi drivers are not reluctant to handle it.

I definitely made sacrifices when I purchased the Scootie, but the sacrifices were worth the ability to be more portable in order to enjoy all of the ports. It is also nice to be able to pass laundry carts in ship corridors.

It does look odd on steep inclines when I shift body weight to keep from tipping but it is only commonsence to so that as most of the scooter weight is in the rear.

I think that we all have to decide what our main priorities are and purchase a scooter to meet those needs.

I am not addressing your1mom here as I have already done so on another thread.

Archived