Were we lucky... amount of ships in port

Have read that St. Thomas and St. Martin are some of the busiest ports (ship wise). On our recent AOS cruise there was only one other ship in St. Martin and in St. Thomas we were all by ourselves. Is this unusual for these ports of call?

Yes, it is unusual for both of these places to only have one or two other ships in port, consider yourself very lucky to not deal with the hassel, I have been to St. Thomas where there have been five or six, thats when you start fighting for attention at the jewlery counters....No Fun !!!!

Guess we got pretty lucky too on our Serenade cruise the end of November. Wasnt crowded in any of our ports..... :D

On our first cruise in Grand Cayman we had 5 big ones at the same time.... it was a zoo.

Checked cruisecal for our upcoming and will have 5 again in Grand Caymen - oh well at least I know what to expect this time !

It's pretty common for sailings out of San Juan to be the only ships in port in St. Thomas and St. Martin because they usually hit them on days that would be impossible for the weekend sailings out of Florida to reach because it requires a full sea day to reach those ports. (i.e. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday). On Serenade last month there was only one other ship in port with us in St. Thomas, and in St. Martin there was a tiny cruise ship in port with us and that was it.

Look at the CC home page. They have an article today called "Ports of Crawl" about just this subject. I've been meaning to read it all day, so guess I will.

We've been noticing the ports all of you have mentioned above as getting more and more crowded every time we cruise.

However, there is an upside to it. I really enjoy looking at the other ships, and once we were just on the other side of the dock from the Explorer, and another time one of the Disney ships. It was fun to sit on deck and watch what was happening on them.

Then it's also fun leaving port and sailing by them. We did dueling "toots" with Disney once. Also, as we sailed by a Carnival ship, someone yelled out, "we get to stay longer than you", and someone on our ship yelled, "yes, but our food is better!".

So, there can be some fun in it.

Gotta go read that article.

Archived