What exactly is there to do in Hamilton??

P&DinDE2

Hello,

We sailed to Bermuda 7/05 & were docked at the Dockyards. We rented a scooter & rode all over but spent most of our time at Horseshoe Bay beach (love it there!!) Anyway, my question is, what do you recomend to see or do in Hamilton? We will be at the Dockyards again this year & will have the kids with us (teens & early 20 yr old) so scooters are out of the question for them we feel to dangerous to let them loose on one! We were thinking of taking the ferry over to Hamilton, but what to see?? We dont want the kids to get bored! Also planning to go back to the beach!

thanks for any suggestions! kids are DD 22 & her boyfriend 22 & DD 15 & her best friend also 15!:)

Hamilton is the primary city in Bermuda so shopping and dining are the main things to do there. There are some sights you can visit (the Cathedral, Fort Hamilton, B.U.E.I, City Hall). It is a lovely place to just walk around. If you go during a weekday it is the best time to see the businessmen walking around in Bermuda shorts w/ long socks, jacket, and tie. :)

Most stores are closed on Sunday so Hamilton is a lot quieter then.

The big draw is shopping. I was lucky, because Trimminghams was still open when I was there. In fact, they were presently having an amazing going-out-of business sale and I got some terrific deals on gold, crystal, and Burrberry clothing and accessories.

It's just a very lovely city to walk around. There is also a Harbor Nights celebration which is fun.

Definitely spend a little time and walk up to Fort Hamilton. It is a fort built around the time of the US Civil war to protect the harbor. You can get great pictures of the city and the harbor from there.

Check out the pink buses. They are definitely a strange color. It is a very nice and clean city to walk around and enjoy.

While at the dockyards be sure to visit the fort there. Again you will get great pictures of your ship and the dockyard area from there. Check out the lawn care system (they use sheep) on top of the walls. The dolphin area was also very interesting and fun and the basic viewing was included in the admission (to get in and swim with them is extra).

Have a great next cruise.

You have to pay to get into the fort at the Dockyard. We both felt we got our money's worth. The cost was $10 per adult, $8 for a senior and $5 for children. Officially it is called Bermuda Maritime Museum. It is open except for Xmas day, 9:30 AM until 5 PM but last admission is 4 PM.

The fort above Hamilton had open admission, no charge, but was only open during the day. It's hours are also 9:30 AM until 5 PM.

Hope your sons enjoy both of them.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived