Do Cruise Lines Really Look at These Boards

duckman715

Just wondering. There are so many comments, suggestions, criticisms - constructive & otherwise - on these boards and so many folks who are very serious about their cruise experience and comment that they hope ABC cruise line is paying attention. Does anyone know if the cruise lines monitor these boards or otherwise try to benefit from these comments.

Thanks

Just wondering. There are so many comments, suggestions, criticisms - constructive & otherwise - on these boards and so many folks who are very serious about their cruise experience and comment that they hope ABC cruise line is paying attention. Does anyone know if the cruise lines monitor these boards or otherwise try to benefit from these comments.

Thanks

If they did, do you think there would still be a chair hog problem?

I was told by the Cruise Director on our recent Constellation B2B that he looked at these boards at least once a day and it would appear that at least some of the Middle Managers in Miami are aware of the boards and some of the comments that are made.

Whether or not any action is ever taken because of comments here is another question entirely, but I think that Management does look and is aware.

This topic deserves a more detailed answer:

I had a problem on one of my previous cruises. I was very unhappy about the way we were treated by the Guest Relations Manager when we spoke to him about our concerns with the amount of time it took us to board the ship as well as a couple of other issues. The guy basically blew us off and was very rude. I posted my displeasure on cruise critic while in port (internet cafe). That evening when we returned to our cabin we noticed two messages on our voice mail. One was from the Guest Relations Manager saying he wanted to speak to me, the second was from the Hotel Director asking for a meeting with me at my convenience. I was like "uh oh." So next afternoon we met with the Hotel Director in his office. As soon as we entered his office we noticed he had a copy of my post from cruise critic in his hand. He was also logged on to cruise critic in his office. He stated he read my post within hours after I posted it. We met with him for about an hour expressing our concerns and offering our opinions on making the boarding process run more smoothly. It was a very cordial meeting. He was very apologetic and clearly wanted to make us happy. He also asked questions about the other lines we had sailed with as he saw from our signature that we sailed often. It was an amazing experience for us because we had always wondered if the cruise lines had monitored the boards, and now we finally had our answer. To quote the Hotel Director, he stated any cruise line would be crazy not to listen to what their guests were saying about their business. Oh by the way, he got our room number from the roll call board on cruise critc.

A few years ago on the Norwegian Star, I submitted a post the first night of the cruise, giving my initial impression of the ship and our cabin. The next night there was a much publicized Cruise Critic gathering. I hadn't decided if I would attend, as the friend I was traveling with wasn't a CC member. At the appointed time, I got a phone call in the cabin from the hotel director, asking if I was the Joanne G. who posted on Cruise Critic. So much for anonymity on the 'net! He had seached the passenger roster for someone with a last name starting with G and the first name of Joanne. Well, I couldn't refuse such a personal invitation and we went to the CC gathering. The hotel director was there with a printed copy of my post, and he proceeded to discuss it with me. I was a little embarassed at first, but it turned out to be great fun to have his attention.

I think the cruise lines would be foolish not to monitor these boards. I can understand why they would get frustrated with petty complaining and misinformation, but it's a rich source of market research they may as well take advantage of.

I'm wondering the same thing. I thought that maybe if they did read them they would at least initiate an inquiry regarding my post. However, they've continued to ignore the problem regarding money and jewelry burglarized from at least two safes on the March 9 sailing of Century. One of the safes was mine. I have given X my name, address, etc. on the phone, by fax, email and US mail and haven't heard a word from them.

I am sure they read them, I am also sure, that there are special people in the company, who are just there to read quest comments, not just crusie critic...!

They can not everybody satisfy, thats for sure, nobody in guest or customer related buisness can. They can try hard and do the best they can - and in my opinion Celebrity trys hard- but nobody is perfect.... ! Mistakes and (sorry ) ........ happens because humans make mistakes... ! But there still people you can´t satisfy as hard you may try....! My opinion, of coursre!

Greetings

Michael

A few years ago on the Norwegian Star, ... At the appointed time, I got a phone call in the cabin from the hotel director, asking if I was the Joanne G. who posted on Cruise Critic. ... The hotel director was there with a printed copy of my post, and he proceeded to discuss it with me. I was a little embarassed at first, but it turned out to be great fun to have his attention....
Joanne, by any chance was that hotel director Mr. James Deering? We had a wonderful experience on the Norwegian Star in late 2002 and it was because of Hotel Director, Mr. James Deering. He was the first cruiseline person to tell us these boards are indeed read by cruiselines staff and by Hotel Directors who truly cared about making the cruise experience totally enjoyable for their passengers. Last I heard, Mr. Deering was working for Holland America -- lucky HAL. Much as I love Celebrity, I can think of a few Celebrity employees who would be much improved if they had Mr. Deering overseeing them.

I think ANY business owner would say that they would give ANYTHING to have the kind of market research that X has for free right here on Cruise Critic.

I own a dance studio and would LOVE to hear what the parents are saying when I'm not around ! ;-)

Offtune Angel, yes, that was the legendary James Deering. He and his senior hotel officers genuinely wanted everyone to have a memorable cruise. They were always out and about, talking to passengers, dealing with passenger concerns, sharing inside information about the ship and the ports. And they didn't give their attentions to only those in the big ol' suites. HAL and HAL passengers are lucky if that's where he is now.

I was delighted to hear that cruise line management reads these boards.

If that is the case, I strongly urge Celebrity management to read the thread concerning the sewage odor problem on the Millenium and to respond to those upcoming cruisers who are VERY concerned about this problem. We have been told that the problem is solved; yet someone reports the problem on a weekly basis.

Thank you!

Cruise critic readers and posters make up a very small percentage of the overall cruising population for any cruise line. Indeed, some of the things posted here are valuable 'touch points' for the cruising experience, but, no sensible business is going to make major, or sweeping changes to the way they do business unless those moves are based on solid research representing a larger cross section of their TMA (target maket audience).

Yes they read them and have been reading them!

A number of years ago ( I believe 2001), Celebrity wanted to charge for the T-pool on Millie class ships. There was much uproar on the boards (of course, as always, the news about the proposed new charge hit the boards first - before even our TA was aware of it) about how cruises were booked with the premise that the pool was included in price that Celebrity dropped the idea.

On a recent trip to Islamorada we happened to be seated next to a very nice woman who was a Sr. Director for RCCI. We got into a great conversation about cruising and I asked her if she had any knowledge RCI monitoring these boards and she said No. She did mention that a few may go on out of personal curiosity but there are so many boards and such a small percentage of cruisers participate in them that it simply is not worth the time. So the answer to your question is No they do not.

On a recent trip to Islamorada we happened to be seated next to a very nice woman who was a Sr. Director for RCCI. We got into a great conversation about cruising and I asked her if she had any knowledge RCI monitoring these boards and she said No. She did mention that a few may go on out of personal curiosity but there are so many boards and such a small percentage of cruisers participate in them that it simply is not worth the time. So the answer to your question is No they do not.

They may not be reading these boards at corporate HQ in Miami for the reasons you stated, but the onboard ship personnel DO read the boards. Since their compensation is directly tied to how satisfied any given cruiser is, they are sensitive to passengers who feel as though they have any reason to fill out a cruise questionaire negatively. This is one way to head off problems with at least a few passengers. They do keep their ears and eyes open, believe it.

And I am not even slightly surprised that a Director could care less: Her career probably has little to do with guest satisfaction and more to do with spreadsheets. No incentive to care, or bother. This isn't a criticism, but an observation of most typical corporate structure and behavior.

Cheers~

They may not be reading these boards at corporate HQ in Miami for the reasons you stated, but the onboard ship personnel DO read the boards. Since their compensation is directly tied to how satisfied any given cruiser is, they are sensitive to passengers who feel as though they have any reason to fill out a cruise questionaire negatively. This is one way to head off problems with at least a few passengers. They do keep their ears and eyes open, believe it.

And I am not even slightly surprised that a Director could care less: Her career probably has little to do with guest satisfaction and more to do with spreadsheets. No incentive to care, or bother. This isn't a criticism, but an observation of most typical corporate structure and behavior.

Cheers~

I wouldn't be surprised if the ship staff read them when they have some free time. The reason I posted was only because I think posters too often think that the people who can actually make policy changes read these boards which just isn't true. If you want X (HQ) to know how you feel you have to write to them.

We just got back from cruising on the Constellation last Friday. The Captain came to our Cruise Critic Party. YES....they do read the threads. He was aware of our group (The Stars of the Constellation) and told us they do read the boards and read the reviews. He spent a long time with us....asking us our opinion, answering questions, etc. Then he said he would be sending out invitations to each one of us to visit with him on the bridge and the one sea day we all went up and spent at least an hour with him on the bridge. The one day we all wore our Cruise Critic T-shirts and the staff knew just who we were and told us they read the boards.

We just got back from cruising on the Constellation last Friday. The Captain came to our Cruise Critic Party. YES....they do read the threads. He was aware of our group (The Stars of the Constellation) and told us they do read the boards and read the reviews. He spent a long time with us....asking us our opinion, answering questions, etc. Then he said he would be sending out invitations to each one of us to visit with him on the bridge and the one sea day we all went up and spent at least an hour with him on the bridge. The one day we all wore our Cruise Critic T-shirts and the staff knew just who we were and told us they read the boards.

Boy, they sure DO read the boards on CONSTELLATION! The captain ordered a second CC party at a time convenient to him so he could attend and talk to all of us at length on our cruise last November. He was all about everyone's satisfaction and was the best person Celebrity could ever have for PR! Everyone commented about our roll call and bent over backwards not only for CC folks, but EVERYONE on that cruise.

We loved the cruise ... and even the crew were happy campers. It really makes a difference in the overall experience.

Hi All...I Was not on your sailing but have sailed quite often aboard the Constellation. Your Master was Captain Papanikalaou. He is very porsonable & cares deeply for both his crew & passengers and it's obvious they feel the same way!!

Archived