Stockholm: my favorite walks - Nybroplan to Djurgården

Someone was asking about time schedules for the ferry from Nybroplan in another thread. As an alternative, if you are going to the Vasa and are not in a big hurry to get there and the weather is nice, why not try one of my favorite walks in that area?

If you stand at the edge of the landing at Nybroplan facing the water, turn to your left and follow the water all the way to Djurgårdsbron (The ornate bridge across the canal). There are a lot of old boats to admire, most of them of the working class type (fishing etc.) that have been, or are in the process of being, converted for other uses of various kinds. The area is not generally a working harbor these days, but more of a berthing place for older boats of this type. As a boat lover, I always enjoy this walk. If you are not really into the boats you can use the shady walkway that runs right down the center of Strandvägen. Either way you will wind up at the bridge.

When you get to the bridge, cross over and you are on the island of Djurgården where you will find the Vasa Museum, Nordiska museet, Junibacken (children’s museum) and Gröna Lund, among others. The whole area is very nice during the summer and in my opinion, best explored on foot or bicycle. I realize that most of you just don’t have time to enjoy activities like this and, well, it’s a bit of a shame really. By the way, near the bridge there is a place to rent bicycles, canoes, paddle boats and the like. Stockholm is a great city for biking and you can cover a lot of ground - just something else to consider to maximize your sightseeing time.

A word about the Nordiska Museet. I rarely see anyone mention this, probably because the normal cruiser just doesn’t have time, but I think it deserves a note. The museum spotlights Swedish traditions and culture and is worth a visit if you find the time and have an interest in what makes Swedes tick. If you don’t have time, well, just admire the architecture from the outside, it’s a neat building.

After your visit to Djurgården, you can easily find your way to Gröna Lund’s nearby ferry terminal and take one of the regular boats to Slussen, which is right across the street from the Old Town. Or, if it is operating, you can catch the ferry back to Nybroplan where we began our little stroll.

Enjoy your visit to Stockholm.

Someone was asking about time schedules for the ferry from Nybroplan in another thread. As an alternative, if you are going to the Vasa and are not in a big hurry to get there and the weather is nice, why not try one of my favorite walks in that area?

If you stand at the edge of the landing at Nybroplan facing the water, turn to your left and follow the water all the way to Djurgårdsbron (The ornate bridge across the canal). There are a lot of old boats to admire, most of them of the working class type (fishing etc.) that have been, or are in the process of being, converted for other uses of various kinds. The area is not generally a working harbor these days, but more of a berthing place for older boats of this type. As a boat lover, I always enjoy this walk. If you are not really into the boats you can use the shady walkway that runs right down the center of Strandvägen. Either way you will wind up at the bridge.

When you get to the bridge, cross over and you are on the island of Djurgården where you will find the Vasa Museum, Nordiska museet, Junibacken (children’s museum) and Gröna Lund, among others. The whole area is very nice during the summer and in my opinion, best explored on foot or bicycle. I realize that most of you just don’t have time to enjoy activities like this and, well, it’s a bit of a shame really. By the way, near the bridge there is a place to rent bicycles, canoes, paddle boats and the like. Stockholm is a great city for biking and you can cover a lot of ground - just something else to consider to maximize your sightseeing time.

A word about the Nordiska Museet. I rarely see anyone mention this, probably because the normal cruiser just doesn’t have time, but I think it deserves a note. The museum spotlights Swedish traditions and culture and is worth a visit if you find the time and have an interest in what makes Swedes tick. If you don’t have time, well, just admire the architecture from the outside, it’s a neat building.

After your visit to Djurgården, you can easily find your way to Gröna Lund’s nearby ferry terminal and take one of the regular boats to Slussen, which is right across the street from the Old Town. Or, if it is operating, you can catch the ferry back to Nybroplan where we began our little stroll.

Enjoy your visit to Stockholm.[/quo

ABout how much time to do this walk? I thought about doing this from the opera house. I figure about 20 min?

Thanks,

Kurt

ABout how much time to do this walk? I thought about doing this from the opera house. I figure about 20 min?

Thanks,

Kurt

Well, if you really hump I suppose you could do it in 20 minutes, but I would not want to, but that's me.

Al

Archived