Alaska excursion question

chuckc54

Salmon Bake-Can I get the same salmon I get at the bake at a restaurant in one of the ports?

Whale watching-Do you see whales from the ship?

I don't plan on doing the high priced tours as some involve flying, and I've already flown from the east coast and have to do it again.

Have read a lot of reviews and I guess it doesn't matter what cruise line you use, guess it just depends on crews and passengers energy level.

What about getting a balcony room? I've read some that say that the decks are crowded, others say there are other ways to see.

I can only go from my one Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Fantasy last April. It was my first one and I enjoyed everything about it.

Answers only from my opinions, since I go to Alaska for the first time this year. You seem like a reasonable person on a budget. I will try to answer that way. You probably will get the same fresh salmon in local restaurants. The boards say you might see whales in the distance from the ship (you gotta spend time on deck and wait)- I was in the navy for six years, only saw a tail and a spout. I was in Hawaii during the wrong season. I would not miss a whale-watch. While I am adventurous, I never consider flight excursions (mostly because of money) and I think you can do plenty from the land/sea. The boards go both ways on the balcony, some swear by them, others say it's easy to go on deck. I pick inside cabins on my cruises, Alaska- same. If you enjoyed your first cruise, then pick accordingly. People here will say "once-in-a-lifetime." I say, if I really missed out on something, I will go again, just for that.

My opinion only, it does matter greatly what ship you choose. Itineraries vary a great deal and it pays to know the difference and choose based on your touring priorities. Factors to consider- ports, time in ports, route, glacier, ship naturalist, price. The bulk of passengers still sailing Alaska are middle aged and above but all ages sail. Just don't expect any party ships. :)

As for salmon, One of the best resturants for me is Thane Ore House out of Juneau- with advanced reservations they will pick up at the dock.

It is rare to see whales from your ship unless you are willing to invest a great deal of time out on a front deck. Most people aren't. You need a good pair of wide angle binoculars, proper attire and be willing to be glad for a minute of viewing- brief and distant. Far superior are the whale watching tours, close to 100% sightings out of Juneau. I am one to always view from a cruise ship, but you will always see me on the tours- 4 times in fact last year out of Juneau. :)

I am one that always books a cheap inside cabin- then I take what ever tours I choose to. :) Decks are only crowded on the glacier viewing day, and even then, the crowds come and go. A great many people just don't have the proper attire and get cold quick and hurry back inside. I greatly prefer seeing it all from a front deck and the place you will always find me. :) But I am always a firm believer in taking and budgeting fully for costly tours, you get only half a trip without them in my opinion.

Budget Queen, I see you're from Syracuse. Are you able to get direct flights to the cruise or do you have to change planes a lot? Rather than make all the arrangements on my own, I'd rather have the cruise company or TA make all the arrangements.

I usually have one change of flights. It is superior to book yourself, then you can get the times and schedules that are best for you. Easy to do. go direct to the airline web sites. It is a big mistake to have the cruiseline book for you. Sometimes very poor routings and flight times, and no way out of it since they book late, usually no more than 60 days ahead.

Archived