Tulum Ruins vs Cancun (Plaza La Fiesta)

unobstructed

Hi all:

My mother and I are cruising in mid-May on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas, and we wanted some shore excursion advice. Since we only get to spend one day in Cozumel, we were wondering if we should make the trek to the Tulum ruins or to Cancun's Plaza La Fiesta. Both are very long days (6.5 vs. 8 hrs.), but the Tulum trip would give us a little time to spend in Playa del Carmen as well (though we may be too pooped at the end of the day to do anything more!).

FYI: We will have an opportunity to see Mayan ruins in Costa Maya (Chaccoben or Dzibanche and Kohunlich). My mom and I are not beach people and will not be participating in any swimming or snorkeling excursions. We love cultural activities, shopping, great food, etc.

Has anyone been to both the Tulum ruins and the Plaza La Fiesta -- and if so, which do you prefer? What about the other Mayan ruins in Costa Maya? Is there a consensus on which ruins are more interesting/spectacular than others?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Tulum is worth a visit for sure - while the ruins are not as impressive as Chichen Itza or Coba, the setting is beautiful and makes it very memorable. Plaza La Fiesta is a long haul from Cozumel - there are a lot better ways to spend your time.

If you really don't want to stay on Cozumel for your excursions, then hitting Tulum with some time left to shop in Playa del Carmen sounds like a good way to go. There are plenty of other tours available from Playa del Carmen like ATV & Cenotes tours, horseback riding on the beach, Xcaret or Xel Ha, Coba Pac Chen, and a lot more.

• 2 weeks later...

Better check I heard the Plaza La Fiesta was wiped out( If that was the new one with the gondola ride thru it ( on the lagoon side of the Hotel zone) We were there last year and left the Wednesday before the storm. Some friends rode out the storm and what a mess. I know for sure Senior Frogs was wiped out. Along with Captains Cove Rest.

• 5 months later...

Absolutely choose the Tulum ruins. While Cancun is a great place to visit (we go to Cancun 4 weeks every year) it is really not a good place for a day visit from a cruise ship. For me, Cancun is a great beach place during the day, but an even better place for the night life, which doesn't play into the one day cruise excursion.) It would not be worth it to drive all of the way to Cancun to shop, as you can find anything you want in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel. Also, Tulum is a beautiful site (I can send you pictures if you are interested) and not to be missed. Save Cancun for a linger visit, as it is definitely worthy of at leats a week!

Michelle

I would choose the ruins hands down. I've always felt that seeing any of the archeological sites in Cancun is a must. Tulum is located on the coast and makes for a nice day trip.

Plaza la Fiesta on the other hand, is a bit confusing to me. That is actually the old name of a free standing store located near TGI Fridays that sells just about every souvenir imaginable. That particular store was hit hard by the hurricane and as of last week is about half the size it used to be and doesn't have as large a selection as it once did. They have a second bigger location locate at La Isla which is a more upscale shopping area a previous poster referred to with gondola rides. La Isla is an open air mall, with more upscale stores for the area, as well as places to eat and a few souvenir shops including La Fiesta. (Sometime between last year and this year their names changed from Plaza La Fiesta to just La Fiesta.) If you take the shopping option, I can definitely give you some names of good places to eat (which ever location it actually is)

• 1 month later...

I have only visited Tulum, and I would recommend seeing it. It is so spectacular, a once in a lifetime thing! I do not regret that I went, however...beware of the ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa de Carmen!!! This was 45 minutes there and back of ROUGH seas! I don't know if this ride is normally like this or if we just were very unlucky, but there were MANY people that were REALLY sick on this ride. It was all I could do not to be sick myself! Tulum is beautiful but beware or the ferry ride!!!

Archived