The "Wall" & walking to Mahahual

felixdacat

First I want to thank Caribdreaming and the wonderful and helpful post on Costa Maya.

My wife and I decided that all we wanted to do in Costa Maya was get off the ship (Jewel of the Seas, 4/5/06) ASAP, and walk to town, mainly for the exercise. We read about walking around the illegal wall, and we both were up for it. I didn't like the whole idea that the port owner went and reneged on his agreements in order to maximize his profits. It is my personal opinion that he eventually expects these walls to be torn down, he just wants to delay it for as long as possible.

And now, he has put up several "No Trespassing" signs on both walls, just to intimidate you even more.

Since we were among the first groups to get off the ship, the port was not yet crowded. I noticed a security guard on the rocks, about 50 yards from the south wall. He took no notice of us, even when I was taking off my sneakers so they would not get wet.

Note: If you want to bypass the wall, wear shoes that you don't mind getting wet, or keep your walking shoes in a backpack. The rocks near the wall are sharp. Barefoot can be difficult.

As soon as we went to the wall he started waving. We waved back and then ignored him. When we got to the other side, I sat down to put the sneakers back on. The guard poked his head around the wall and started yelling "trespassing". I shouted back "Illegal, the wall is illegal". He kept it up, but I swear he stopped when I shouted "CruiseCritic".

The port owner has not kept his promise to maintain the path (but you knew that). It was difficult at first to find it. As far as trespassing goes, the only signs are inside the port. Therefore, you can walk all the way from town, to the wall, and you won't see one "No Trespassing" sign. Therefore, the signs in the port are confirmed bull$*@%^.

Yes, there is alot of garbage along the path, but it is obviously from the hurricanes and the ocean currents, because there is a variety of refuse, alot which you would not expect to find from people who go to the beach.

The walk itself was pretty easy, with only a fews spots containing loose sand which is tougher to navigate. At one point the path parallels a road. After taking some pictures, I cut over to the road and got scratched up by some rusty barbed wire that I didn't see. Therefore, stay on the path.

When we finally got to Marahual, I found the town to be very nice. Despite being among the first "customers" in town, we did not get jumped on by aggressive vendors as some posters have implied.

Actually, there is a reef a few hundred feet from shore where the waves break. Therefore, the actual beach has no real waves, so its very safe for smaller children. Had we known this, we may have changed our plans and brought the kids to town.

We stopped by the Cats Meow and met Barbra who is very nice as all other threads have mentioned. She explained that the Port owner also tries to keep the locals out of the port. This can be difficult because the port has the only ATM within a 2 hour card ride. She has a few tricks in getting in that she shares with her fellow entrepeneurs.

She also pointed out a good vendor next door to her place, and we eventually bought a hammock. I still think I paid too much because he gave me a 6 ounce beer when the sale was completed.

We took a $4 cab ride back to the port.

I will post some pictures soon.

Thanks for the report!

Did you see anyone heading over to Chac-Chi?

How much did you pay for the hammock? We are going to get one, and I'm trying to figure a good price.

Can;t wait for the pictures!

Hi

you can check along the main street there are diferent prices and qualities

choose your favorit color, design and enjoy mahahual prices in town are cheaper than the port area and in town check for the stores without selers if you buy with the owners are cheap.ask for PLAZA MAYA next the harbor master.

Thanks for the report!

Did you see anyone heading over to Chac-Chi?

How much did you pay for the hammock? We are going to get one, and I'm trying to figure a good price.

Can;t wait for the pictures!

Thanks for posting! Love the Picture of

Barbara and her cat!

Looking forward to my hammock and drink in Costa Maya...hope I can get the ruins, snorkling, cats meow and chac-chi all done in the time we are there, I sure am going to try!!

Thanks again

Archived