Tour in PDC - Mayan Ruins

Tracy102

Our cruise (the Carnival Inspiration) stops in PDC. I have read about Ecotours and such, but I am looking for the LEAST expensive way to see the Mayan Ruins (Tulum?). It is just me and my friend and we would like to go there and hopefully to a beach, should we rent a car? or are there tours offered for a short time (and good price) from the pier?

Any direction would be outstanding, I really LOVE this board it has been extremely helpful for myself (being a first time cruiser), as well as a University student looking to be economical.

You can easily go to Tulum on your own, you can take a taxi, rent a car, or take a colectivo. A colectivo is a 20 passenger van that goes up and down hwy 307, very easy and cheap way to get around.

A taxi to Tulum from Playa is 400 pesos, (around $40.00 US) this is not per person, it is per ride.

Colectivos are 30 pesos per person, (about $3.00 US)

Collectivo = white mini-van with stripe

They are found in downtown Playa Del Carmen near the bus station.

They are by far the cheapest way to get to Tulum.

You tell the driver where you are getting off AND you watch the road signs.

Most drivers know they will have passengers for Tulum (las ruinas). They drop you off on the highway. You cross the highway.

There will be shops and a turning circle for the the Tulum Trolley bus on your right after you cross the highway. Either walk down the road, past the shops OR you can get the trolley bus that travels the last mile down the road that goes into the ruins (not a bad idea on a hot day). If you get the trolley - SAVE your ticket - it is a return ticket.

Having the EXACT fare or small bills is a good idea. Sometimes they don't have change in U.S. $. This also holds true for admission to the ruins - have pesos or small change in U.S. $.

After you see the ruins return to the highway and catch a Collectivo that is returning to PDC (same side of the highway as the ruins). You just have to wave at them to flag them down.

Archived