Taking a cab from the airport in NEWARK to Bayonne

poetic license

I posted this deep in a parking thread, but thought that it might help someone if I posted it separately:

For anyone flying into Newark and catching a cab to the pier: I strongly advise that you print up a set of directions to the pier from the airport before you leave home. I always do this when I take a cab, because so many cabbies are clueless. (Well, except for FLL, where EVERYONE knows where the port is) My husband usually thinks that I am a little kooky to do it, but it paid off: the cabbie spoke very little rudimentary English and did not have a clue as to where the cruise port was. We drove around for twenty minutes aimlessly when I got that sick feeling. :( So I reached into my bag and got out my directions and helped guide him to the pier. They saved the day! :D The cabbie was very apologetic and only charged us $15 for the trip from the airport to the pier. I left him the directions for future reference. Just be forewarned that some cabbies are NOT familiar with the Bayonne cruise port area.

Cheers~

Nicki

By accident of geography, the cabs at EWR are subject to different rules depending on the terminal.

Terminal A (American, United) cabs are licensed in Elizabeth NJ and Terminals B & C are licensed in Newark NJ.

This usually doesn't mean much for NYC bound travelers, but it can create some confusion for Bayonne travelers. Be sure you give the driver directions (many are truly hopeless when it comes to their knowlesge of local streets and towns) and ask the driver to give you an estimate of the fare before you load your luggage in the taxi. If he says he doesn't know, believe him and look for another taxi. Explain that you want someone who knows where Bayonne is and how much it will cost.

(Sounds a bit like getting a taxi on a Caribbean island. And in many respects it really is.)

From Newark Airport to RCI (Celebrity) Cruise Port

1:Start out going NORTH.0.6 milesspace_white

2:Merge onto I-78 E toward I-95 / NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE / US-1 & 9 N (Portions toll).5.2 milesspace_white

3:Take EXIT 14A toward BAYONNE.0.3 miles

4:Turn SLIGHT LEFT to take the AVE E ramp.<0.1 miles

5:Stay STRAIGHT to go onto AVENUE E.1.3 milesspace_white

6:Turn RIGHT onto E 29TH ST.0.2 miles

7:Turn LEFT onto AVENUE C.<0.1 milesspace_white

8:Turn LEFT onto W 28TH ST.<0.1 miles

9:Turn RIGHT onto GROVE PL.<0.1 miles

10:End at Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd - Military Ocean Term, Bayonne, NJ 07002, US

Walt, I had a sneaking suspician that he wasn't the only cabbie who didn't know. He acted as though he had never head of the port, and radioed in for help. No one on the other end of the radio knew, either.

Glad I remembered to post on here ..... bringing directions will save a lot of people a lot of grief. BTW, I was told that the normal fare for EWR to the port is roughly $36. So use that as a guide, folks, when you are given a fare quote.

Cheers~

Nicki

ARe you originally from this area, you seem to know the area pretty good.
Actually, I was born in Summit, NJ. Brought up in Madison and lived in Plainfield, then Princeton when I worked in NYC.

I still use EWR whenever I fly back to the metropolitan area. (It still hurts when I am driving east on 78 from the airport and the twin towers are no longer straight ahead in front.)

Walt, I had a sneaking suspician that he wasn't the only cabbie who didn't know. He acted as though he had never head of the port, and radioed in for help. No one on the other end of the radio knew, either.

Glad I remembered to post on here ..... bringing directions will save a lot of people a lot of grief. BTW, I was told that the normal fare for EWR to the port is roughly $36. So use that as a guide, folks, when you are given a fare quote.

Cheers~

Nicki

$36 is way, way too much for a 6 mile trip, even with tolls and a likely round trip charge. Plan on $36 just to have the cash ready, but make sure the driver uses the meter rather than charging you a flat rate.

Actually, I was born in Summit, NJ. Brought up in Madison and lived in Plainfield, then Princeton when I worked in NYC.

I still use EWR whenever I fly back to the metropolitan area. (It still hurts when I am driving east on 78 from the airport and the twin towers are no longer straight ahead in front.)

Know the area very well, used to work for a PD in Essex County and had part time job which took me all over the state.

Usually... the best way to get a cab that knows EXACTLY where to go... is speak to the dispatcher... he/she should be able to find a cab that will get you there...

Personally... I'm more of a car service guy... I'd rather spend the extra $25 to get a towncar...

Usually... the best way to get a cab that knows EXACTLY where to go... is speak to the dispatcher... he/she should be able to find a cab that will get you there...

Personally... I'm more of a car service guy... I'd rather spend the extra $25 to get a towncar...

templed,

That is exactly why I was so surprised that the cabbie was assigned to us. We TOLD the dispatcher we were going to Bayonne to the cruiseport ... he assigned us the cab we wound up in. Actually, he just took the next cab in the lineup, and told him where we wanted to go. They sure have a racket going on at EWR!

BTW, Walt, the dispatcher was issuing slips of paper with fares on them ... they weren't allowed to use meters, but had to go by the fare on the slip of paper. Is this something relatively new?

Cheers~

Nicki

Honestly... I don't know... but... it's not like NYC where there is a posted rate in the car... when you are going to airports, etc you are given a flat rate... everything else is done by meter.

I've never been a fan of the cabs from Newark, hence the reason I will arrange ahead to have a car service pick me up...

Yes. It is hard to get to the pier sometimes.

They may know the word MOTBY.

There was another way in a few years ago - much easier - but the road Improvements - only in Jersey - make it a round about.

When I did it I took the first few turns then looked - found the ship and drove towards it.

Archived