My turn to say: Live from the Veendam!

Vaca2006

The high-speed connection is almost modem-slow, so I won't be replying to questions until after we return. I don’t know if I’ll write a full review, but I’ll likely put up on the appropriate boards some observations and tips for first-time cruisers and families traveling with school-age kids since those are my main perspectives.

We’re sitting at the dock in Santo Tomas de Castilla right now waiting for sailaway. This morning my family and I took a cab to Las Escobas, an eco reserve established around a lovely river and water falls in the mountains above the small port city. It was a fine and fast little excursion, and I recommend it highly to anyone without mobility issues. I'll post more details on the “Caribbean – Other” board after we get back.

Summary of other highlights to date:

* Flew into Tampa on an overbooked and delayed Ted flight from Dulles, arriving after 1 am. Good thing I decided to spend my few Marriott points to stay in the Airport hotel.

* Processing at Port of Tampa felt long, but really wasn’t that bad. There is no obvious time savings for those who show up having completed their immigration forms online because the line for such forward thinkers is much longer than the line for those who weren’t proactive.

* Very pleased to meet Obobber, Friedshrimp, and other CCers in the Crow's Nest for sailaway.

* Dinners in the Rotterdam Dining Room have been fabulous.

* Kids really like Club HAL. Although the club does publish schedules of what they’ll be doing all day, the schedule compliance is fairly loose. Note that kids 8 years or older are allowed to sign themselves in and out, great for my 11-yo but I’m not sure he was mature enough for this responsibility when he was 8.

* Veendam singing/dancing team was very good by my unsophisticated standards; comparable to the quality of national touring companies for Broadway shows. I’ve missed the other evening entertainment so far.

Gotta run! More later.

Lee

Thank you, Vaca (Lee), for taking the trouble to post live from your cruise. I know you're probably not able to read replies just now, but wanted to express my thanks anyway. Appreciate the thumbs up regarding Club Hal. No way would I let my 8-year-old sign herself out of Club Hal, nor would she want to. She's not that independent. Enjoy the rest of your trip:)

Archived