wheelchairs on ship

Linda-B

Well my husband broke his ankle today and we are to leave in 2 weeks for an 8 day trans-atlantic on Celebrity Constellation. If we need a wheelchair:

do they have them for use on the ship?

do you rent one on the ship?

do you rent your own and bring it on board?

It is too late to call Celebrity tonight and I was hoping to get any information possible.

Thanks

I would recommend renting one at home and taking it with you. No extra charge for taking a wheelchair on the plane. He can learn how to use it properly (and get a lightweight chair that is under 30 lb.) and you can use it in the airport as well as on the ship. The ship's wheelchairs are not yours for the duration...they are really only for intermittent use such as embarkation and disembarkation. Many no longer let you take them ashore.

I assume he will be using crutches or a walker for inside the cabin, as it is probably too late to get a wheelchair accessible cabin. He needs to know how to negotiate a step, and get into the shower safely. Ask for a shower chair from the cruise line, or (in a pinch) put a poolside chair in the shower stall. It worked for me when I tore my ACL.

If you don't want to rent from home, contact http://www.carevacations.com for information on delivery of a wheelchair to the ship.

Archived