Formal Attire

brody2005

Generally not, but it depends on the cruise line. What line are you on?

I usually do a couple of the 'casual' nights with a bermuda and slacks, the formal nights in a tux (or skip it), and the rest in shirt and tie. I've never even taken a sport jacket on a cruise. That is for Princess, RCL, and CCL.

Should I plan for jacket and tie at dinner every night? What is the standard dress?

In as much as all of the cruise lines go out of their way to offer a formal style dining room with wait staff in full uniform. Professionally prepared menus in jackets, a full set of flatware on the table not rolled up in a perp napkin and many have background music, It would be nice if more passengers cared about the overall ambiance of the evning and dressed up better than slcaks and a open collared shirt. Even if they simply put on the blazer with the open collared shirt it would be a whole lot better. When ever I cruise I try to wear a jacket and tie most every evening and a tux or white dinner jacket on formal nights

I think Brody is on Carnival (based on other postings). I'd argue that sport jacket is not the ambiance that most CCL cruisers are looking for on a casual night. In fact, that is closer to CCL's definition of "formal" than casual:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Brody, since the dress code is effectively unenforced there is a big variation outside of this fairly lax dress code. You (probably) won't see someone in a swim suit or ragged cut-offs, but you will see people in jeans and t-shirts. You'll most likely see people in tuxes and evening gowns too, so unless you really push it one way or the other, you'll fit in fine.

FWIW, I'd like to see it a bit more upscale also. Not because I think it would improve the experience, but because "shirt and tie" is a lot easier than "business casual" for me. OTOH, Brody and I are both single guys (Brody I'm assuming you're a guy, but the point holds true either way): it never hurts to be dressed a bit better than the other single guys. :D

Mike,

You hit the nail on the head--I'm going on carnival (first cruise), I'm a single guy, and I totally see eye to eye on the being dressed a little sharper. Being single I expect to be out at the bars late and I know I won't want jacket/tie then (unless of course this is a common garb there though I'm guessing not). Likely will change entirely. Seems like this will add to the amount of clothes I have to bring. I'm gonna look like a chic with too many clothes. (no offense ladies there just isn't a real female version of guy unless you prefer gal which makes me feel like I'm 70).

Mike, I saw your post from my other thread. My buddy and I are not going on a mission to hook up. Like you said there are certainly easier and cheaper ways to do that. However, being young single guys it would be great to have single women between 21 and 35 to mingle with, talk to, flirt with, drink with, etc. I've noticed that no one has posted my cruise on the Roll Call. Should this worry me at all? I feel sort of funny posting it myself given that I've never been on a darn cruise before.

Thanks for your insight.

That's one of the really nice things about cruising: you can drop off the jacket and tie after dinner and be at the 'club' in just a few minutes. They usually haven't gotten going yet, but there it is. You can always hit the hot tub then get dressed back up for the club, etc.

It really doesn't matter how many clothes you pack (unless you're flying). You drop them with the porter, and nobody is really going to know if they are all yours or what. On the way out, you tend to have to wait for a shuttle or whatever, but your cruise mates haven't seen you do more embarrassing things by that point in the cruise then you really didn't have enough fun. :D

That said: everybody knows you're on a cruise and is in the same luggage situation. If you wear the same dress shoes and belt all week, or wear a dress shirt twice nobody is going to care.

There ought to be enough ladies, but don't restrict yourself away from the older ladies (within reason). If you're just going to flirt, many of them are much more willing and able to play, and they tend to make more interesting conversation than younger women. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Roll call: I wouldn't worry about it. Many of the roll calls are pretty dead. It just means that aren't here, not that they aren't coming. Almost every sailing sells out, and for a summer trip that is virtually guaranteed.

Hey guys, single here too, wasn't on my last cruise, but I do recall that there is a singles mixer and lot of events for singles throughout the cruise.

I would agree dress to impress (and gives you that boost to carry you through the night + the drinks you've had throughout the day). Change for your night out and most importantly...enjoy!

Archived