Can I Rent My Own WC?

angelrmt

Is it possible to rent my own wheelchair for my upcoming July 23 cruise? Also how accessible are the western carribean ports to wheelchairs? I can walk but not long walks as I get very fatigued becuse of my diabetes and other health conditions. I can do stairs though. I am thinking of renting a wheelchair here on my town and taking it with me. I know that I can rent one and have delivered to my cabin but I want to rent it here as I like to try it own first and see which one is more comfortable for me. Is this possible? thank you. Angel

I will be taking my 84 yr. old mother on her 5th cruise in July. We borrowed a wheelchair for the first cruise, it was not in good repair and was uncomfortable. We checked into renting one-too expensive. She now has her own that she got through medicare. It is nice to have for cruises, shopping, etc. because she can only walk short distances due to arthritis, 2 artificial hips and 1 artificial knee. It is worth it to have your own. Make sure you write your name on it because we parked her wheelchair outside the giftshop on one cruise and some kids took it for a joy ride; took 3 hours to locate it.

Kaki

thank you. If she does not go to the ports that tender, what does she do on board the ship? Did she stay by herself. I am just wondering if there is anything to keep you busy if not going on shore.

My mother loves to read! If there are times that everyone in the group goes ashore she will go out on the balcony and read. She will order room service or take her wheelchair with her to go about on the ship. She can walk for short distances. She and I went on one cruise alone, I did not want to get off the ship by myself so we enjoyed staying on the "deserted" ship. No lines anywhere and plenty of deck chairs on port days:D

Kaki

Archived