2007 Itineraries?

srlafleur

Hi, Srlafleur - the river cruise schedules all seem to come out much later than the ocean cruise schedules: last year it was late summer/early fall 2005 when I started to see the 2006 summer schedules. We also like to plan over a year in advance but that doesn't seem possible for a river cruise. The only suggestion I can make would be to study the schedules for this year and assume that each company will have approximately the same cruises at approximately the same times for only a little bit more money than this year. That way you'll be ready to jump when they do come out. I also noticed that we were getting mailings with very good sale prices for spring/summer cruises in late fall 2005 - the prices were much better than what they'd originally released. Vantage seemed the most aggressive with the discount offers, but they all were doing it to some extent.

We still haven't done a river cruise but plan to in spring 2008 - so we'll book it in fall, 2007.:D

On the two river trips that we have taken with Grand Circle we have booked before the brochures came out. They had the dates in their computer and were more than happy to take our deposit.

The reason that we did that is because we like the cabins on the top deck and they are few in number and go quickly. There are many who do not feel that it is worth the extra money for the window that opens and the little balcony but we feel that it is worth the additional cost.

If you are considering going with a direct seller such as Grand Circle or Vantage I would get on the phone with them now and they will probably give you an idea of when some 2007 departures will become available for booking. If you are considering a line that works through travel agents such as Viking, Amadeus and Uniworld, select your agent now and give them marching orders. That is the difference between a good agent with contacts at the lines and an order taker. And, the cruise line is paying them to work for you!

After reading hundreds of messages on this Board I am persuaded that the difference between the lines that cater to the American trade is minimal so the major factors to be considered are itinerary, price, availability and the determination if you wish to do your own air or are happy leaving that to the cruise line. I have seen very few posts that are critical of any river cruise or line so it is hard to make a mistake! It is a wonderful experience but not to be compared to ocean voyages. It is a totally different product.

Good luck and happy sailing!

Clarence:)

Archived