2 Ships in Grand Turk?

kelliebiz

We're sailing Saturday! and the first stop is Grand Turk. I know the cruise terminal is brand new, has anyone been there with 2 ships in port? We'll be thre on the Zuiderdam and have found out another ship will be there also. I'm wondering if it will be hugely crowded? It seems like a small place to host 2 ships at once. Thanks!

Kellie.......hope you have a wonderful cruise! When you return, could you please come to this forum and answer some of the questions for us about Grand Turk and how it really is? I'll be there in May and have been trying to find out about the best beaches for months. I even asked on the Holland board because the Noordam has already been there, but didn't get a response...please help us out here........Happy sails.............

We were on Carnival but we just got back from Grand Turk. We took the horse and carriage ride around the entire perimeter and there isn't much there. The weather got bad before we were finished so we didn't get to go in to the water. I was disappointed. GT is still a "work in progress." The guy at the resort hotel was screaming obscenties the entire time we were docked there trying to get people to entire a wet t-shirt contest, yada-yada. It definitely wasn't a "family show." The shore excursion people were very nice so that was a plus. There is a lot of construction going on right now.

RENEE,cOULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME MORE DETAILS OF THE HORSE AND CARRIAGE RIDE. hOW DID YOU BOOK THIS, PRICE,HOW LONG WAS THE RIDE, WHAT TIMES WAS THIS OFFERED. dO YOU THINK IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN WORTH IT IF YOU HAD NICE WEATHER AND MINUS THE JERK SCREAMING.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

We booked through Carnival and it was about $40 per person. The tour guide was really nice and fun. However, with that said, I can tell you that there isn't much to see on the island. There is a lot of poverty and run-down houses. I was expecing something else. The beach front was pretty and I saw people on the center of the island booking a diving/snorkeling excursions. That may be the way to go there. It rained so we didn't do anything else. There is a lot of construction going on right now so it looks like a work in progress.

When you fist get off the ship, you will walk through an area that reminds me of a miniature Disney World with the small bright colored store fronts. and shops inside. After that, they have the hotel with the nice pool and a DJ screaming out trying to "get the party started!"

The good thing is that you can just claim a beach chair and lay out by the pool or beach (no charge). If you want the clam shell, it is about $9 for the entire day. Given some more time, I'm sure the stop will improve.

Renee, thanks so much for some real details from someone who has actually been there. I'm a little concerned because I booked this particular cruise for the new and different stop and it sounds like they really aren't ready for us there yet, so it may turn out to be a big disappointment. Do you know if anyone went to Gibbs Cay to see the stingrays, or on the trolley to Governor's Beach? Those are the two things I've been trying to decide between to do there, and so far, no one from Holland or Carnival cruises that have stopped at Grand Turk has responded to that question so either people aren't doing it, or the ones who are don't post on the boards. Thanks for any info.......................Happy Sails

There were people diving and snorkeling but they only had a short time because the weather got bad. I can't imagine that there would be much of interest too see on the trolley. The water is beautiful so I would imagine that the water excursions would be better there. If you want pictures of the island, give me your addy and I'll send them to you. I have two pictures of GT taken from the boat when we first arrived.

Renee, your posts have been very helpful. We were planning to just explore, and maybe go to the beach, but now I am thinking maybe I should pack the snorkel gear after all. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would also love to see those pictures. We leave Monday! My email is dznymom at aol.com

Thanks!

We just returned last weekend, and yes, 2 ships in port makes it too crowded. We were only there from 7am - 2pm, so we had to get up and off early. The beach was more crowded than any I ever remember going to. All tables at the Maragritaville restaurant were full, and service was friendly but slow. There were a dozen or so stalls where local folks were selling their wares, and the one Margaritaville shop, and that's it in the cruise terminal.

We took the 4x4 Dune Buggy Safari: the buggies were fun to drive but there really wasn't much to see on the drive around the area. The most exciting part for me was driving on the left side of the road! We did not get to any of the beaches away from the cruise terminal. We did make a very rushed stop at the small lighthouse with no time really to actually see it. After using the restroom and taking a photo it was time to high tail it back to the ship, and we arrived after the all aboard time. Our party was the one they were holding the gangway for!

All in all I'd say there's nothing to draw passengers to want to dock here, it is not a worthy "destination." If the cruise lines want to stop here, then do it one ship at a time so the passengers can at least relax while there. Honestly, at the beach, at the restaurant, and in the shop, we were packed together and it felt like summertime at Disneyland for the crowded factor.

kellie...

Thanks for the review. It's always so nice to know what you're getting into prior to going to a new port. I'm not sure what we're going to do, but we're only going to be there from 7-2, so we may get off, explore a bit, and then get back on the ship. The "it felt like summertime at Disneyland for the crowded factor" is a good reason for us to do so... :)

Archived