Air mattress?

Tinknock50

No, they will only provide a thin blue eggcrate, which is not helpful for pressure reduction.

Actually alternating pressure overlay pads aren't worth the electricity that it takes to run them for pressure reduction. If you can get a Gaymar Softcare static air filled overlay, I would recommend it. Packs up small, can be inflated with a bike pump and is cheap enough to leave behind when you head home.

I can recommend this one. We use these where I work (I am a rehabilitation nurse) for our gurneys.

http://www.gaymar.com/product.asp?id=106&pid=104

No, they will only provide a thin blue eggcrate, which is not helpful for pressure reduction.

Actually alternating pressure overlay pads aren't worth the electricity that it takes to run them for pressure reduction. If you can get a Gaymar Softcare static air filled overlay, I would recommend it. Packs up small, can be inflated with a bike pump and is cheap enough to leave behind when you head home.

I can recommend this one. We use these where I work (I am a rehabilitation nurse) for our gurneys.

http://www.gaymar.com/product.asp?id=106&pid=104

Thanks for the link.

Not sure what you mean by alternating pressure, but my mom has an air bed ( not an overlay) and it has worked wonders for her over a regular mattress. No new sores and her old ones from a regular mattress are long gone! Best thing I ever did for her. Covered by medicare.

I will bring the air mattress I bought. I don't leave her in bed during the day so I think she will be ok with it. I was just looking to pack less if possible.

Are you talking about a low air loss (LAL) mattress replacement like a TxCair or Microair 3500S? It would be tight to get one of these into a suitcase between the bulk and the motor. Bring a long extension cord. You will have only one outlet in most cabins. Also, keep in mind that the beds on the cruise ships are actually more narrow than a regular twin bed, so it may hang over the edges. This can make transfers and even rolling in bed dangerous with a LAL mattress unless you have side rails.

Are you talking about a low air loss (LAL) mattress replacement like a TxCair or Microair 3500S? It would be tight to get one of these into a suitcase between the bulk and the motor. Bring a long extension cord. You will have only one outlet in most cabins. Also, keep in mind that the beds on the cruise ships are actually more narrow than a regular twin bed, so it may hang over the edges. This can make transfers and even rolling in bed dangerous with a LAL mattress unless you have side rails.

No....this is just one of those velour top mattreses that are twin bed size.

It isn't a medical one, but I think she will do ok. Certainly it will be better than a normal ship mattress and I have requested an eggcrate on top of that. And she won't be in bed any longer than to get a nights sleep.

• 1 month later...

Archived